The "Dear" , "Sincerely" thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dear doggo momma,

Thank you for sharing the pictures! I hope new doggo's transition is smooth.

My spouse also believes that we could have a doggo in our space. I'm a farm kid, all our doggos were outside dogs, and they all had a big yard to play in. These days I think people are denied pets from shelters if they mention that they'll be outside only pets.

I want a Husky someday to pull my sled full of ice fishing gear, and in the summer pull me on a bike (bikejoring). I think they need a lot of space to get all that energy out.

Sincerely,
Future doggo owner

I think it depends on the shelter, as to whether they will allow a dog to go where it would be outside only. As long as the pet has a way to get out of the elements, somewhere safe & warm, you should be fine. What they don't like is a dog that will be left outside all the time with no interaction with their owners. And yes, huskies need a LOT of space and exercise!

Last one with the doggos for a while, I promise...

Dear two beautiful happy doggos,

Thank you for proving me right.

Sincerely, pleased as punch doggo mamma who now has two happy dogs getting along very nicely, to the point that they are playing with the same ball; took a nice nap with me this afternoon all on the same bed; and allowing me to say a few modest "I told you sos" to wonderful husband who thought it was all for naught. There are still a few issues to work out, such as older dog insists on going through the door first whether it be in or out, and gets a bit obstreperous at young whippersnapper pushing ahead of her, but for the most part we're doing great.

Dear Doggo Mama,

Glad to hear your new doggo is adapting well. Don't stop with the doggo news. More pics would be nice!

Sincerely,
Need more doggo

Dear Home Depot employees,

I am sure you are all very busy, but it always feels like there are 4 of you working in a 105,000 square foot store and it takes about 35 minutes to walkie talkie the right person for my specific needs.

Sincerely,
Understanding, but still miffed, customer.

Dear Hydrometer,

Are you mad at me? Why won't you look me in the eye? Why do you always turn away from me in the cylinder and somehow manage to keep the scale facing away no matter how gently I try to turn you? It is getting pretty frustrating, and accidents happen to hydrometers every day..... just sayin.

Sincerely,
Stormcrow

Dear Hydrometer,

Are you mad at me? Why won't you look me in the eye? Why do you always turn away from me in the cylinder and somehow manage to keep the scale facing away no matter how gently I try to turn you? It is getting pretty frustrating, and accidents happen to hydrometers every day..... just sayin.

Sincerely,
Stormcrow

Dear @Stormcrow , if you ever need a thug, i've been known to throw them on the floor, just for a pic in the broken hydro thread! :mug:

Sincerly,

someone wondering if my frosted flake brew saved me any money?

Dear @bracconiere:

Your shenanigans used to annoy me to no end. I've been really close to muting you several times. But now I recognize that HBT wouldn't be the same without you crazies. Maybe it's because your antics provide some spice to this website. Maybe I'm intrigued with your home-malting. Maybe it's because I might not have discovered the joy of digital refractometers if it wasn't for you. Either way, I wouldn't mind lifting a pint or two with you one of these days.

Sincerely, someone who needs to be more ready to see the good in other people

Dear Lutra,

When I heard that you were a super clean-fermenting strain and perfect for pseudo-lagers, I got hung up on that darned pseudo part. The fact that you don't throw sulfur that needs time to dissipate, dont need a diacetyl rest, and don't require extended lagering to produce a clean, malt-forward beer, seemed like a compromise. Like, how can I enjoy a lager that didn't require toil and misery to produce? Then I wondered whether the bjcp styles should include toil as a hallmark of a true lager.

Then I came to my senses and realized that all of the cantankerous trappings of a typical lager ferment were nothing more than a constellation of compensatory techniques necessary to coax a clean, malt-forward character out of an inherently dirty yeast strain.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Last edited:
I've been really close to muting you several times.

dear, 3 dog...

that's usually what i tell people posting from the get-go in introductions..... :mug:

Sincerly, bracconiere...just glad we can laugh and have fun, and i can add something useful if albeit needs careful digesting.....

Dear 3 Dawg Night,

Don't encourage him so much!

Sincerely,
Kidding around

(I gotta give you a little friendly grief once in a while, bracc)

Last edited:
Dear Eskom

As the sole and state-run electricity provider in South Africa, congratulations on having made your latest round of rotating power cuts visible on my Tilt temperature graphs. Demonstrating such a level of dysfunction and structural disinvestment mere days before an election displays a particularly courageous bent to embarrass yourselves and your political masters.

eskom_temp.JPG

Sincerely,
Gatvol in the darkness

Dear new young doggo,

Let's go over the lessons learned this week:

1. Kittycats=pain to your sensitive nose. Please stop chasing youngest cat so he comes out from under the bed where I'm sure he's done something nasty.
2. While we are eminently pleased that you and your older sister now love each other, and playing, playtime at 4am is pushing it a bit. Mamma is supposed to be on vacation.
3. Your habit of sleeping on my brewery chair, leaving me just enough room to sit, is adorable and sweet. Please continue to do that.

Sincerely, dog mamma who posts on here too much but loves her kids, and continues to be amazed that two dogs who wanted to tear each others throats out a scant five days ago are now the best of friends.

Dear @Jayjay1976 ,

Fermented cold or warm?

Sincerely, WF lager brewer who uses S23 but would like to get away from pitching two packets of yeast to get the lager character, and whose LHBS doesn't carry Lutra, so need to be sure it's right for me before ordering some online

Dear @Jayjay1976 ,

Fermented cold or warm?

Sincerely, WF lager brewer who uses S23 but would like to get away from pitching two packets of yeast to get the lager character, and whose LHBS doesn't carry Lutra, so need to be sure it's right for me before ordering some online
I just ferment it at room temp. Kveik strains can be manipulated by fermenting high or low, but to me the real benefit is in not having to bother with temp control at all.

It's like when I was a naiive first time brewer and had somehow expected that I could make good beer without managing that one crucial variable.

I've been telling the guys at my lhbs for a long time now how much kveik would change homebrewing, that they should do everything they can to send every new brewer out the door with a pouch of kveik to ensure their first batch would turn out good enough to keep them coming back.

Since they started carrying them, the Omega kveik strains have become their top sellers. Hopefully they will add a discussion on yeast selection and the benefits of kveik to their beginners classes.

Last edited:
I just ferment it at room temp. Kveik strains can be manipulated by fermenting high or low, but to me the real benefit is in not having to bother with temp control at all.

it's like when I was a naiive first time brewer and had somehow expected that I could make good beer without managing that one crucial variable.

I've been telling the guys at my lhbs for a long time now how much kveik would change homebrewing, that they should do everything they can to send every new brewer out the door with a pouch of kveik to ensure their first batch would turn out good enough to keep them coming back.

Since they started carrying them, the Omega kveik strains have become their top sellers. Hopefully they will add a discussion on yeast selection and the benefits of kveik to their beginners classes.
What a great idea, having the beginners start with kveik...they cannot screw it up no matter what temperature they pitch at. Too many posts on the BBF are about did I pitch too warm, pitch not enough, is it done yet, etc etc etc. Might not produce the flavor they were looking for though...but since I would say a lot of new brewers are trying for an IPA it wouldn't hurt. Brilliant! Perhaps someone should post that on the BBF....and now back to your highjacked thread.

Dear Marzen in the ferment fridge,

Why you take so damned long???

Sincerely,

Pipeline is getting dangerously low and I want some of your tasty malty goodness

*Edit And having drinkable beer in less time than a "traditionally" fermented ale would also hook them. Although that may mean less goodies to snap up on local craigslist and offerup....

Dear Dog Lovers,

i had a strange dream. i was trying to put butane in a diferent container...which was going to be an experiment to see if a widower can breast feed?

but there were turkeys around, the size of emu..one was like a pet to me. and it wondered if the dog next to me was what it was supposed to eat. i thought 'yes', and the thing bit the dog on the snout...then i told the pet turkey, no, no, no...that was just a joke!

Sincerley,

someone who likes dogs because they can earn their pay. and apologizes lol :mug:...

Dear Dog Lovers,

i had a strange dream. i was trying to put butane in a diferent container...which was going to be an experiment to see if a widower can breast feed?

but there were turkeys around, the size of emu..one was like a pet to me. and it wondered if the dog next to me was what it was supposed to eat. i thought 'yes', and the thing bit the dog on the snout...then i told the pet turkey, no, no, no...that was just a joke!

Sincerley,

someone who likes dogs because they can earn their pay. and apologizes lol :mug:...

Dear @bracconiere,

You need to quit watching those Liberty Mutual commercials right before bed.

Sincerely,
Where's that damn remote control?

Dear Altbier currently fermenting with WY 1007,

Why are you still going crazy after 7 days? I mean seriously, you blew off the blow off tube twice, destroyed the fermentation chamber once and looks like you’re no where near finishing…please stop fermenting soon, I need to get you in a keg for Thanksgiving!

Sincerely,

Sammy

At first glance I saw EGOT.
God forbid Bracco unlocks that achievement.

Dear, people giving me ****...

i already know how to grow mushrooms...don't want them on my malt...

Sincerely,

someone who had to google egot...i've earned more then four awards! :mug: :cool:

Dear Warranty Telemarketers,

Your messages keep indicating that you're about to close my file. Please close my file already.

Sincerely,
Almost ready to pick up, tell you my name is Amos, and that I might need a warranty on my 1884 courting buggy.

Dear Warranty telemarketers who've called a half dozen times this week,

You're now saying "this is your final notice."

Great! Now we're getting somewhere. I assume this means you have no more reason to call me again.

Sincerely,
How did I ever get by before CallerID

also-dont-call-me.jpg

Dear New Awesome Company I am now employed by,

THANK YOU for saving me from dispatching purgatory, and giving me an incredibly nice boss and just one fellow employee (yes there are only THREE of us in our office), spelling my name right on the first try, and paying me a LOT more money than last crappy job did. Also for being about 2 minutes away from my LHBS.

Sincerely, your brand-new employee who has plans to absolutely bust my a** for this place

Dear Weber kettle grill,

Please allow me to have control over your temperature when I use you today.

Sincerely, a very skeptical grill novice.

Dear Husband with a Credit Card,

WHY did you buy that air-fryer-grill-thingie that will only get used maybe twice a year, and now we have WAY too many kitchen gadgets with no room for them, when you don't even cook?????

Sincerely, wife who could probably create a three-course meal with only her brewstand (not that I would because I like a LOT of garlic and that would probably do something nasty to my kettle, but STILL)

Dear Husband with a Credit Card,

WHY did you buy that air-fryer-grill-thingie that will only get used maybe twice a year, and now we have WAY too many kitchen gadgets with no room for them, when you don't even cook?????

Sincerely, wife who could probably create a three-course meal with only her brewstand (not that I would because I like a LOT of garlic and that would probably do something nasty to my kettle, but STILL)
Dear @seatazzz I'm curious about the make/model of that air fryer grill thang.
Sincerely,
Jayjay

Dear Diabetics,

Don't give people grief when they see you're having trouble and call an ambulance for you. They aren't trying to ruin your night and rack up medical bills for you, they want you to be ok. All you do by complaining is risk that next time when they should call, they're reluctant to, and it wastes time.

Sincerely,
A friend of a diabetic

Back