Fruit and Spice Beer The CPA (China Pale Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsowenshall

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Safale T-58
Yeast Starter
N/A
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
2 Weeks @65F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
2 Weeks @65F
Tasting Notes
Belgian, almost Karmeliet-ish flavor with a pronounced citrus bite and jasmine aroma
The idea behind this brew was to make a beer that showcases some of the flavors I get around town in, well, anywhere that serves food and tea. So basically everywhere. I decided to work with 4 main Chinese ingredients- orange, ginger, jasmine, and the glorious Qingdao Flower hop. Is it really a “pale ale”? Nah. But here is the delicious recipe that resulted from these combos…

The CPA (China Pale Ale)

Batch Size: 10 Gallons
Yeast: Safale T-58 (2 packs)
Starter: N/A
OG: 1.066 (70% Eff.)
FG: 1.013

Ingredients:
22#/10kg Auzzy 2-row (84%)
1.5#/700g Crystal 10L (6%)
.5#/225g Crystal 60 (2%)
2#/900g Clover Honey (8%) (secondary)
.5#/225g Flaked Oats (2%)
3oz/85g Qingdao Flower Hops (60 min)
2oz/60g Qingdao Flower Hops (secondary)
1oz/30g Orange Zest (10 min)
1oz/30g Freshly Chopped Ginger (10 min)
2 packets rehydrated Safale T-58 yeast

Other:
1 bottle cooking Baijiu (or 220ml vodka)
2oz/60g Orange Peels
1.5/45g Freshly Chopped Ginger
3oz/85g Dried Jasmine buds
2 cups honey (bottling)

Now to the process…
Mash grains at 152 for 60min. I like my preboil volume to be pretty high and go for at least a 90 min brew to up my efficiency- but you do what works best. At 60min left in boil add the hops. At 10min left add the ginger and orange zest (*ZEST here, not peels. The white stuff on the insides of the peel when boiled tastes pretty terrible in beer, so don't put it in the kettle!) If you’re REALLY looking for some ginger and orange flavor, leave it in after flameout and cooling, if not then take it out after 10 minutes. Cool, aerate, do your thing. I then put it in two five gallon buckets (you’ll see why in a sec) and pitched the yeast.

Now for the other stuff. We didn’t forget about it. Put the orange peels and ginger in a container add baijiu/vodka until it’s covered. If you’re worried about using too much you can top it off with tong/distilled water. It won’t really matter that much. Then put the Jasmine buds in a sealable jar with 1.5 cups of boiling water. Let it steep for about 15 minutes then fill the jar with baijiu/vodka until the jasmine is covered (it may float so just guess about what volume would cover it after it drops underwater- which it will).

Let it sit in the fridge for a couple of weeks while your primary is fermenting.
After your airlock activity dies down in your primary, boil 2 cups of water (less if you can swing it) and pour in the two pounds of honey- stir. I repeat, stir. Let it sit on a low simmer for about 5 minutes with the lid on then let it cool down- again, with the lid on the pot. Pour a pound of honey into each of the fermenters and let it ride for 2 weeks.

At 2 weeks add the jasmine concoction (liquid, flowers, and all) and 1oz of Qingdao Flower Hops to one fermenter and the ginger/orange concoction with 1oz of Qingdao Flower Hops into the other. Once again, let it ride for 2 weeks, then give it an overnight cold crash.

At bottling, I suggest you sterilize some nylon stockings and rubber band them onto the inflow end of your auto-siphon/ racking cane. This will keep the little jasmine and orange nerblets (is that a word? Probably not. Still using it.) from getting into your bottling bucket. Boil 2 cups of racked beer and add in 2 cups of honey. This is your priming sugar. You can mix up the 2 brews now how you like after adding half the honey into one bottling bucket and half into the other! I bottled 2 gallons of the ginger/orange, 2 gallons of the straight jasmine, and 6 gallons of the mix. They’re all great, mix around and have fun with it!
Finished%20Beer.jpg

There's more pictures and detailed instructions on my blog if you need them!

This is just the kind of recipe I've been looking for. Kind of a Chinese Saison type of thing. I'm glad you posted this. Will definitely give it a try! Thanks.

This is just the kind of recipe I've been looking for. Kind of a Chinese Saison type of thing. I'm glad you posted this. Will definitely give it a try! Thanks.

Sorry, as you can tell I haven't been on in a while! Glad to be of help, did you happen to brew it yet? If so let me know how it turned out!

Speaking of saison, PC家 and 慢品啤酒,among others, have Belle Saison in stock these days. Some of my wife's friends said they'd like some homebrew to throw a party at the end of the month, which means taking most of my Caramel Amber Ale, so it looks like I need to do another brew before I head Stateside to show the wife where I come from. How do you think this would turn out with Belle Saison?

Also, what potential do you measure for the Auzzy 2-row? I have it calculated in Beersmith as 1.031. When I use those numbers, my efficiency with Auzzy 2-row comes out the same as my efficiency with Weyermann Vienna (from PC家). If I calculate it as if it's 1.035 like imported 2-row, I rarely break 60%...

Speaking of saison, PC家 and 慢品啤酒,among others, have Belle Saison in stock these days. Some of my wife's friends said they'd like some homebrew to throw a party at the end of the month, which means taking most of my Caramel Amber Ale, so it looks like I need to do another brew before I head Stateside to show the wife where I come from. How do you think this would turn out with Belle Saison?

Also, what potential do you measure for the Auzzy 2-row? I have it calculated in Beersmith as 1.031. When I use those numbers, my efficiency with Auzzy 2-row comes out the same as my efficiency with Weyermann Vienna (from PC家). If I calculate it as if it's 1.035 like imported 2-row, I rarely break 60%...

I honestly have no idea as I've never used that yeast before! You may want to tone down the orange peel and ginger additions if you're looking to get more of your flavor profile from your yeast, though. I used the t-58 for the phenols adding a little "spicyness" like the dishes here.

As for the 2-row, I generally just use it the same as American (replace it in beer smith)- my setup isn't consistent enough to get detailed results as to how they differ. It's been close every time so far, though.

I've not had chance to brew it yet as I've been moving house. The weather up here in Harbin has increased so it's perfect for brewing a saison. I'll let you know the recipe once I've brewed it!
I also buy stuff from those 2 guys mentioned on taobao, along with http://homebrew8.taobao.com. All 3 seem to have made homebrewing in China a lot easier!

I've not had chance to brew it yet as I've been moving house. The weather up here in Harbin has increased so it's perfect for brewing a saison. I'll let you know the recipe once I've brewed it!
I also buy stuff from those 2 guys mentioned on taobao, along with http://homebrew8.taobao.com. All 3 seem to have made homebrewing in China a lot easier!

Manpin and PC are the two shops that everybody on the Wuhan homebrew QQ group use - PC is even active in the group. I've never seen homebrew8, but they've got a pretty excellent selection there. I'll definitely consider buying from them in the future.

Back