The BJCP and SRM

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ralelen

Reaction score
I'm entering my Imperial IPA into a local contest next month and it has a SRM (via BeerSmith) of 13.9. In the style guidelines, the SRM can be between 8 and 15. I'm a bit worried that I may have points taken off because some judges may deem it too dark for style. Too all those who are BJCP judges: Is this beer cutting it close, or will I be ok?

Appearance is 3 out of 50 points. So, color might be at most 1 of 50 points. No big deal.

The color is judged based on how the sample looks in the tasting glass (usually a clear plastic cup) when held up to the light.

Frankly, it's not worth worrying about anyway. The color accounts for about one point out of the 50 possible points on a scoresheet. The only case I could think of where it matters is if your beer is up against some other beer with a nearly identical score for a medal or BOS.

I am a judge and most dont carry an SRM card. I just go off the description. IPA is "medium gold to medium reddish copper" If you are in that subjective range you are fine. You'll probably end up with a 2of3 in appearance anyways :)

Back