The beginnings of Brew McQ

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks great. Do you happen to have a parts list and rough estimate of cost purely on the electric BiAB set up? My SWMBO and I just bought a house and I get a brew room finally. I'm trying to convince her to let me go electric but she's concerned about $$$. (Understandably so.)

Honestly, I don't... and I'm not sure I want to know.

I based my build almost completely johnodon's old build, using the schematic so generously provided by P-J.

There are already some prebuilt and "commercially available" control panels. eBrew Supply has a kit, and High gravity Brew has a pre-assembled CP, for example. I decided to build my own, sourcing the parts myself so that if it broke, I'd be familiar with the insides and could better troubleshoot it... that, and I could spread the cost out over a few months and really customize it so it made sense to me...

I'd budget between $1000 - $1500 for it... that would be for everything.. stand, kettle, element, wiring (the 30a GFCI and lots of 10/3 wire), control panel, the 15-gallon plastic conicals, chiller.. but if you can spread the build out over a year, that's $100 a month.

I do think the key is to put room in the budget each month for the build, and, like so many of us, spread the cost out over the course of a few months.

Brew Kettle update!

1235052_174779752706212_659552347_n.jpg

New element box installed and NOT leaking!

1237069_174779726039548_1972479162_n.jpg

That's 15.5 gallons of really cold water.

1236896_174779712706216_698597473_n.jpg

Quick-disconnect and silicone tubing.

1240520_174779802706207_1188525037_n.jpg

Element and indicator light all wired up.

1185113_174779796039541_1310756148_n.jpg

Element box is complete! (I made the hole for the LED way too big, hence the massive washer.)

1175214_174779829372871_1541716874_n.jpg

Sight glass is all labeled.

brewmcq said:
Honestly, I don't... and I'm not sure I want to know.

I based my build almost completely johnodon's old build, using the schematic so generously provided by P-J.

There are already some prebuilt and "commercially available" control panels. eBrew Supply has a kit, and High gravity Brew has a pre-assembled CP, for example. I decided to build my own, sourcing the parts myself so that if it broke, I'd be familiar with the insides and could better troubleshoot it... that, and I could spread the cost out over a few months and really customize it so it made sense to me...

I'd budget between $1000 - $1500 for it... that would be for everything.. stand, kettle, element, wiring (the 30a GFCI and lots of 10/3 wire), control panel, the 15-gallon plastic conicals, chiller.. but if you can spread the build out over a year, that's $100 a month.

I do think the key is to put room in the budget each month for the build, and, like so many of us, spread the cost out over the course of a few months.

That number was about what I expected. And all the advice makes sense. I've kind of looked at the pre-assembled set ups and like you, believe I would prefer to build it myself so that I can better troubleshoot any fallacies or general PM on it. Thank you and keep up the great work!

You're very welcome.

And... the work will continue today.. finishing the ferment chamber interior because my STC-1000 will be here tomorrow.. :-D

So, the lame no-picture update:
Finished the drywall in the ferment chamber. I'll get the SWMBO to spackle and sand it for me at some point. There are still a few things I want/need to do to "make it pretty", but for now it's functional.

The lame, but with pictures update:

1175631_174936939357160_292865096_n.jpg

I re-oriented the pump and it now primes with zero problems and works like a charm.

And the bonus: in these two hoses and the pump, plus what's left in the kettle, I have just under a cup of "waste".

1185342_174936909357163_587092160_n.jpg

Recirculating.

1184944_174936889357165_473141298_n.jpg

Wide open is wide open. This thing will move a lot of fluid.

Kinda at a loss as to what else needs to be done (that I'm able to do with what I have). The STC-1000 should be here tomorrow, so that will get assembled and whatever... Still waiting on a bunch of stainless stuff and other stuff, and will be ready to fire up some 5-gallon batches this weekend. I hope.

brewmcq said:
So, the lame no-picture update:
Finished the drywall in the ferment chamber. I'll get the SWMBO to spackle and sand it for me at some point. There are still a few things I want/need to do to "make it pretty", but for now it's functional.

The lame, but with pictures update:

I re-oriented the pump and it now primes with zero problems and works like a charm.

And the bonus: in these two hoses and the pump, plus what's left in the kettle, I have just under a cup of "waste".

Recirculating.

Wide open is wide open. This thing will move a lot of fluid.

Kinda at a loss as to what else needs to be done (that I'm able to do with what I have). The STC-1000 should be here tomorrow, so that will get assembled and whatever... Still waiting on a bunch of stainless stuff and other stuff, and will be ready to fire up some 5-gallon batches this weekend. I hope.

On that recirc, if a person wanted to install a tangential inlet about 3" from the top, so it's "hard-tubed" (still removable, but more like the bottom), do you think it'd be wise? I'm looking at the exact same BC 62 qt you seem to have, and have a buddy who said he could do all of my welding (I have ZERO welding experience), so before I buy that one I want to show him my concepts. I just feel like a tangential inlet would help with a "whirlpool" as it would come in along the side and possibly mix in even better. Thoughts?

On that recirc, if a person wanted to install a tangential inlet about 3" from the top, so it's "hard-tubed" (still removable, but more like the bottom), do you think it'd be wise? I'm looking at the exact same BC 62 qt you seem to have, and have a buddy who said he could do all of my welding (I have ZERO welding experience), so before I buy that one I want to show him my concepts. I just feel like a tangential inlet would help with a "whirlpool" as it would come in along the side and possibly mix in even better. Thoughts?

I'm sure you could do that... a lot of builds have something hard-plumbed for recirculation. However, I think that you'd be hard-pressed to fit something close enough to the sidewall of the kettle and still be able to use the basket.

That is, of course, assuming you're going to use the basket...

If you're going more "traditional" and less BiaB and not going to use the basket, then I say knock yourself out and get whatever you can hard plumbed to the kettle. That will certainly make your life a little easier.

I am going to have recirculation hard plumbed into my setup... on the lid. I'm currently exploring different options on that.

brewmcq said:
I'm sure you could do that... a lot of builds have something hard-plumbed for recirculation. However, I think that you'd be hard-pressed to fit something close enough to the sidewall of the kettle and still be able to use the basket.

That is, of course, assuming you're going to use the basket...

If you're going more "traditional" and less BiaB and not going to use the basket, then I say knock yourself out and get whatever you can hard plumbed to the kettle. That will certainly make your life a little easier.

I am going to have recirculation hard plumbed into my setup... on the lid. I'm currently exploring different options on that.

That's kind of a good point about the basket affecting a hard plumbed inlet. I may still play with it but for now I'm sticking to BiAB, so it's sort of necessary to have the basket.

Wow Man that looks awesome!! My SWMBO just told me I could have half the garage for a brew room!!! We have one upstairs and one down stairs. I get the one upstairs that has a brand new garage door on it. Thinking of splitting it in half with one wall and starting my own build soon. I'm very excited. I saw you put casters on your bench what size are they? Since this is going to be the first place I start I would love to have it finished and just need an Idea of what size I would need? Again thanks in advance and it looks awesome great job man. :mug:

I used the 3" swivel casters from Tractor Supply Company (there's one right up the street). They added about 3-5/8" to the height of my brew stand.

The bench itself is 6' wide and 2' deep. Ish. I have no idea what the height measurements are.. I just kinda fudged it to be comfortable for me to work on it.. I did keep the kettle shelf low enough so the SWMBO can peek into it and help stir the mash or whatever.

Cool man thanks. And thats a great Idea Leaving room for the SWMBO to help as you saw in the "show us your SWMBO" thread mine loves to help. It almost a family event now at my house so I will also take that advice.

I know hundreds of HB'ers are using this thing with great success, but it's hard to believe that I'm going to trust this thing to run a 5000 BTU air conditioner.. lol

brewmcq said:
I know hundreds of HB'ers are using this thing with great success, but it's hard to believe that I'm going to trust this thing to run a 5000 BTU air conditioner.. lol

Ya I wholeheartedly agree. But from what I've seen that cheap little brain is incredibly reliable so likelihood is ill use that and smile. I plan to eventually go pro (don't we all?) and honestly, if the stc holds up like some examples I've seen, it will probably be one of my first investments that will follow me the whole way.

I love the STC1000. I currently use it for my keezer, and have used it for fermentation control. Pretty easy to wire up as well.

I do NOT like the STC-1000. I don't know if they are all like the one I received, but the circuit board soldering job sucks all @ss, and not in a good way. I had to re-solder all the power connections. What a pain. Regardless.. I got it soldered.

581561_175516135965907_170090551_n.jpg

Plan "C". Plan "A" was to trot down to the local hardware store and get a PVC junction box, or an ABS project box. But do you think for ONE minute that this little sh*thole town carries anything like that anywhere? Nope. So onto Plan "B"... I took a page from Revvy (I think) and was going to wire up a multi-gang box. Yeah, not so much. Hence, Plan "C". Plywood. You can never go wrong with plywood.

1173794_175516119299242_864494628_n.jpg

Blah blah blah, wiring.

970576_175516099299244_747432182_n.jpg

Spray paint is my friend.

1176228_175516169299237_1050962627_n.jpg

Holy CRAP, it WORKS!

1240432_175516209299233_1855101027_n.jpg

Nothing to do with the ferment closet. I just like how it looks. :)

I filled 4 carboys with tap water and put them in the closet after getting everything set up yesterday (~60F out of the tap). I set up the STC to 18C (64.4F, according to Google), differential of 1*, compressor delay of 5 minutes and changed the offset from 2* to 0*. I don't know why it wasn't already on the default setting of 0, but whatever.

The first thing I did this morning (well, after taking a leak then petting the dog and the SWMBO) was to go down stairs and see where things were at.

The STC read 18.1C (64.58F, according to Google). The independent digital thermometer (whose probe is taped right next to the STC probe) read 64F. The two temperature strips on my Better Bottle carboys read 64F.

So I'd have to say that it's close to being dialed in. It will be interesting to add some yeast action heat to the mix to see how it does, but all-in-all, I'm pleased. I might line the closet with more insulation at some point, but for now, all seems well... *knock on wood*

Very cool.

I just got the STC-1000 and should be wiring it up today. I hope I don't have the same issues you did with the circuit board.

Please keep posting your progress. I'm living vicariously through your builds. :mug:

Very cool.

I just got the STC-1000 and should be wiring it up today. I hope I don't have the same issues you did with the circuit board.

Please keep posting your progress. I'm living vicariously through your builds. :mug:

I've been living vicariously though others, so it's kinda nice to be on this side.. Lol

Good luck with your STC!

Looks good! And seems to work fine. I taped a conversion chart on my ferm chamber next to the STC so I can look up the proper temp in proper English units. Maybe some day I will be able to convert that range of temps in my head, but that day is not this day. Maybe after I change my ferm chamber into a TARDIS and mount the STC directly into the door for sophistication.

Looks good! And seems to work fine. I taped a conversion chart on my ferm chamber next to the STC so I can look up the proper temp in proper English units. Maybe some day I will be able to convert that range of temps in my head, but that day is not this day. Maybe after I change my ferm chamber into a TARDIS and mount the STC directly into the door for sophistication.

I've got a chart taped In there as well..

And I was actually going to TARDIS the closet doors.. Lol

Actually, I still might.. :)

Nice build, very nice.

I like these pictures better than that other one. Though that one was just as impressive. "No Homo" as TxBrew would say.:D

I too am getting going again after 35 years away from brewing. I would like to add that indoor brewing takes a massive venting effort. The steam will discolor your ceilings and walls and likely grow really ugly stuff! Make sure to use a large cu ft fan..and I'd suggest a hood to collect it ALL. I also have gas leakage potential which should be alleviated as well. I started on an electric build and due to venting issues in either case I changed to gas and planning modular so whole kit could got where ever and brew for the day etc.

Just scored huge... Edgestar w/tower Kegerator 2 1/2 barrel kegs 2 CO2tanks and 2 regulators and all hoses for $250 DELIVERED! oh year and 2 bottles of Stella as well.

Might keep eyes peeled on Craigslist/newspaper etc to grab cheap Corny kegs... very expensive when you NEED them cheap when they come along.

Keep up good work!

So the brewday wasn't in the new brewery (well, except the ferment closet), but we had some fun, none-the-less.

And this was my first fully-traditional BiaB brewday! Normally I've been mashing in a water cooler, but this really seemed to work well.

IMG_20130914_105624_505.jpg

IMG_20130914_125809_030.jpg

IMG_20130914_162503_991.jpg

IMG_20130914_174536_300.jpg

IMG_20130914_192129_587.jpg

Nice. I'm interested to know how those work out. Have you figured out what fittings you're putting on the trub port?

Latest posts

Back