The Alchemist releasing two new beers in cans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
HEYYYYY NOWWWW If people are bringing **** back to Boston let me get a single can over in Brighton

In the event that I get shut out of Focal/Petit I'll have an Armand'4 set with me at the release tomorrow to trade. Obviously my hope is I don't get shut out, but wanted to mention it just in case.

In the event that I get shut out of Focal/Petit I'll have an Armand'4 set with me at the release tomorrow to trade. Obviously my hope is I don't get shut out, but wanted to mention it just in case.
Best I can do is two Heady Toppers ;)

I am not making it up there this weekend. SWMBO had plans Saturday but they fell through, so I didn't want to leave her all alone on Valentine's day weekend. Next time!

Anyone know where exactly this is going down? We're parked in the train station lot right now. Eager to start the pre-line!
Well, Google Street View shows this thing going down in a dumpster in the middle of the lumber yard. Seems legit.
2014-02-15_alchsv.jpg

My source out there reported being approx 130 in line, and pissed that once again people can't follow directions when it comes to beer releases.

It's because they're not taking away the incentive to showing up early. Just posted this on BA, too:

There's an awfully simple way to make sure no one shows up much before 9 or whatever you want the start time to be:

Announce that anyone who is there at 9:15 gets a ticket. If there are 120 people, they are numbered 1-120. You then draw a number and that number starts the line. Draw number 76? 76-120 start the line then 1-75. If you take away the incentive to show up early, no one shows up early. If you just let the line form whenever and grouse about it, the incentive has not been taken away and people will continue to show up crazy early to these things.

This is what Ticketmaster outlets used to do to prevent people from lining up early/camping overnight. When people used to buy tickets in person. Worked like a charm.

People on other sites are pretty mad; in many cases the frustration is directed at those who lined up early this morning. The only ones to blame are the people who organize these releases, make arbitrary requests for people to wait until a certain time to line up, and then make zero attempt to follow through on that request. People are smart to line up early because there's no other way to guarantee success as long as the organizers don't care. Currently, heeding a request like that is nearly always a great way to get screwed.

Frank I think if you'd gotten in line you would have gotten a full allotment. I was only 10min ahead and I'm already back home.

Yup, currently finding this out. It's looking like a friend grabbed a 4 pack for me so that's good at least :)

People on other sites are pretty mad; in many cases the frustration is directed at those who lined up early this morning. The only ones to blame are the people who organize these releases, make arbitrary requests for people to wait until a certain time to line up, and then make zero attempt to follow through on that request. People are smart to line up early because there's no other way to guarantee success as long as the organizers don't care. Currently, heeding a request like that is nearly always a great way to get screwed.

While I agree Gene I still can't figure out why if you're that concerned about organization and civility at a release why announce it. Don't worry, your product will sell out, just not in 3 hours but it will sell. They had to have known full well people would be there wayyyy before 9 so why even "ask" to not show till then. Like yourself and others have said if you want it ran that way fine then enforce it. ****ing beer nerds, this is why we can't have nice things people.

While I agree Gene I still can't figure out why if you're that concerned about organization and civility at a release why announce it. Don't worry, your product will sell out, just not in 3 hours but it will sell. They had to have known full well people would be there wayyyy before 9 so why even "ask" to not show till then. Like yourself and others have said if you want it ran that way fine then enforce it. ****ing beer nerds, this is why we can't have nice things people.

Trouble with this here would be The Alchemist doesn't have a dedicated space to sell from. I'm not sure of the details on how it went down, but it appears they arranged a spot to set up shop and move this stuff out. They kinda needed to ensure it would go and short notice may not have done the trick. I have a hard time with the early arrivers shouldering all the blame when they were rewarded for doing so.

Trouble with this here would be The Alchemist doesn't have a dedicated space to sell from. I'm not sure of the details on how it went down, but it appears they arranged a spot to set up shop and move this stuff out. They kinda needed to ensure it would go and short notice may not have done the trick. I have a hard time with the early arrivers shouldering all the blame when they were rewarded for doing so.

True. I guess I was thinking send it out with your heady allotments etc, reports are all went well with a few sad pandas after sell out.

True. I guess I was thinking send it out with your heady allotments etc, reports are all went well with a few sad pandas after sell out.

Same thought crossed my mind about the distribution channel. Maybe something as simple as not enough room on the truck to add that onto their delivery route?

Same thought crossed my mind about the distribution channel. Maybe something as simple as not enough room on the truck to add that onto their delivery route?

At 50 cases a pallet you're still looking at 8 pallets. That is a very real possibility.

They also could have lowered the limits just a little bit...

Anyone have pictures of the can designs? I'm curious.

They also could have lowered the limits just a little bit...

Anyone have pictures of the can designs? I'm curious.

Tweeted something earlier in the week regarding canning. Focal Banger seemed to be a plain silver can with a circular sticker on it. I'd imagine Mutant is similar.

Edit: too slow.

Preach it brother Gene
And I agree with you, as much as you want to heed the request, it's hard not to worry about getting shut out.

I remember at the HF double damon release somebody suggested a great idea to thwart people coming before the stated time.

Everybody gets a numbered ticket to preserve their line order like a Lawson's release, but when it's time to sell an announcement is made that anybody that has number X or lower will not be buying beer today because they got here before the requested time and is asked to leave. No beer is sold without a numbered ticket and at the same time line jumping is prevented.

Arrived a couple minutes after 9am and was ~105 in line. Bummer that some folks chose to arrive earlier than requested--however, it was nice (and a noticeable contrast) to witness a brewer warmly greeting patrons, while organizing the line...opposed to arriving a few moments after the requested time (at another recent VT release) to witness the tail end of a brewer loosing his cool, frantically yelling at patrons.

The free coffee coupons and Heady samples (poured personally by the brewer) were nice touches.

Sales began early, so I ended up with beers in hand before 11am. A bit surprising to see a lot of folks not maxing out on allocations only buying 4 packs, etc.

Cheers to all the helping hands and smiling faces from the Alchemist crew, who hustled to expedite the line and make the entire process a positive experience.

Easily the most enjoyable beer release I've been to (since things have blown up on the VT scene in the past couple of years).

Arrived a couple minutes after 9am and was ~105 in line. Bummer that some folks chose to arrive earlier than requested--however, it was nice (and a noticeable contrast) to witness a brewer warmly greeting patrons, while organizing the line...opposed to arriving a few moments after the requested time (at another recent VT release) to witness the tail end of a brewer loosing his cool, frantically yelling at patrons.

The free coffee coupons and Heady samples (poured personally by the brewer) were nice touches.

Sales began early, so I ended up with beers in hand before 11am. A bit surprising to see a lot of folks not maxing out on allocations only buying 4 packs, etc.

Cheers to all the helping hands and smiling faces from the Alchemist crew, who hustled to expedite the line and make the entire process a positive experience.

Easily the most enjoyable beer release I've been to (since things have blown up on the VT scene in the past couple of years).
Is there video of said brewer losing his cool?

They had to have known full well people would be there wayyyy before 9 so why even "ask" to not show till then.
That's really what I'm saying - there's no good way to enforce it without (a) people resorting to a "line to get in line" or (b) creating an instant angry mob of 150 people when you surprise them with a scheme like yeedog suggested (though I would love to see that). All things considered, these requests should ideally never be made in the first place.

-however-

It's not going to change, because the real reason these requests are made is simple: It's a technical requirement; a means of dodging responsibility for whatever happens at that location before 9AM. If people show up and cause problems, it's not The Alchemist's issue, because people were clearly told not to show up before then. Perhaps better wording would be "show up before 9AM at your own risk."

Perhaps better wording would be "show up before 9AM at your own risk."
I know the idea was tossed out there after the HF release to just mark everyone's hand that arrived before the time they were told to, and then refuse to sell to people with said marking. It would be a total ******** and a great way to upset some of the customer base, but I would suspect people would stop showing up early after doing that once.

I know the idea was tossed out there after the HF release to just mark everyone's hand that arrived before the time they were told to, and then refuse to sell to people with said marking. It would be a total ******** and a great way to upset some of the customer base, but I would suspect people would stop showing up early after doing that once.

Starting at 5:30am, a handful of cars of people hung out in a public parking lot. At 8:30am, people started heading over to the beer release spot lining up, and John was perfectly cool with that. I don't see what the issue is here.

Starting at 5:30am, a handful of cars of people hung out in a public parking lot. At 8:30am, people started heading over to the beer release spot lining up, and John was perfectly cool with that. I don't see what the issue is here.
i'm pretty sure john said 9, knowing that people would come earlier. He said he wanted 9 so they could plow, we got there around 830 and the place was already plowed with no plows in sight. Pretty sure he knows what he's doing.

i'm pretty sure john said 9, knowing that people would come earlier. He said he wanted 9 so they could plow, we got there around 830 and the place was already plowed with no plows in sight. Pretty sure he knows what he's doing.

True. We were ready to walk over there at 9, but at 8:30 people started running from the lot so we had no choice but to join them. I was getting changed in my car and basically had to jump out and finish changing in line. Quite the epic day in VT though... A great beer release, Headys in line, a treacherous journey to Hill Farmstead, and some stellar tap lineups at the Waterbury bar trio.

not sure how may of you can view BA (or even care to anymore) but this is what Jen Kimmich had to say about everything. Should settle it:

Just signed up to BA so that I can respond to this conversation. First, the release went great. Anyone who showed up by 11am purchased beer. John showed up at 8:30 to start directing people. Before that, people wouldn't have had any idea of where to go. So, it was perfectly fine that visitors were sitting in their cars. Travelers and early arrivers were super respectful and were greeted with nothing but smiles. We did our best to keep everyone happy while waiting in line- everyone seemed to enjoy themselves. I don't understand why this conversation has turned into an argument. It seems as though no matter how smooth things go, some people still want to focus on the negative (not sure what those are really). I can guarantee that there was no bitching on our end Captain McGrath! Thanks to everyone who came out. Great to see so many people walk away with 2 full cases of beer!

not sure how may of you can view BA (or even care to anymore) but this is what Jen Kimmich had to say about everything. Should settle it:

Just signed up to BA so that I can respond to this conversation. First, the release went great. Anyone who showed up by 11am purchased beer. John showed up at 8:30 to start directing people. Before that, people wouldn't have had any idea of where to go. So, it was perfectly fine that visitors were sitting in their cars. Travelers and early arrivers were super respectful and were greeted with nothing but smiles. We did our best to keep everyone happy while waiting in line- everyone seemed to enjoy themselves. I don't understand why this conversation has turned into an argument. It seems as though no matter how smooth things go, some people still want to focus on the negative (not sure what those are really). I can guarantee that there was no bitching on our end Captain McGrath! Thanks to everyone who came out. Great to see so many people walk away with 2 full cases of beer!

You need to immediately go to ba and invite her here in private mail. And then create a new account bc you just got banned for referencing tb. IMMEDIATLY!

Show her there is a better way! Invite her to participate! Talk beer AMA!

That was tons of fun. Met some really nice people in line and got to show some friends from back home what Vermont was like and the passion of everyone that everyone has for this hobby.

Is anyone liking Focal over Heady? Am I crazy?

Tell you what, man, it's way closer than I expected it to be. I definitely see how people described it as juicier and I was surprised at how similar the mouthfeel and finish are. Can't say I prefer it, but it as at least every bit as good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back