the 2 week twist

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppedup

Reaction score
i know, this might seem like a rediculous question, but i have OCD when it comes to having to know the detals of everything :)

its always been recommended to me, that after 2 weeks in the bottle, to give each bottle a sharp twist, and let it sit another week. does everyone do that? Ive never really asked why, cause ive always assumed it was to agitate any priming sugar that may be settled. is that the case? and has anyone been able to tell a difference in the beer they didnt do it to, as opposed to the ones they did?

I have been reading brewing boards now for 8 months and can't say that I ever heard that is a recommended practice. I don't think it would hurt but if the temp in near 70 or so for the first week then you should be in good shape after 3 weeks in a bottle. I would think the twisting would be to rouse the settled yeast in the bottle so they keep working.

Blender said:
. I would think the twisting would be to rouse the settled yeast in the bottle so they keep working.

yea, you are correct :) i just called my HBS peeps to ask about that, and they said the same thing. 'to make sure the yeast consumes all the priming sugar'.

off to do my first taste of my lager thats been in bottles for 2 weeks now, and rack my pumkin ale to secondary :)

Never heard of this either in all the reading I've done (I'm still basically a noob). Can't see how it would hurt, seems to me that best-case it might cut a day or two off the carbonation time. So, if you wanna do the twist, go right ahead but don't sweat it if you don't, The beer will carb up regardless.

Back