THC Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoviceBrewer420

Chef, Baker, Apprentice Brewer/ Rookie Homebrewer
Reaction score
Has anyone ever brewed a thc beer? I just recently did and cant wait to try it out! Its just a 1 1/2 gal second pull batch with 4 grams of pure kief. Should be about 3% abv not sure the mg per 12 oz but yeah should be good

Interested, but somewhat skeptical wrt efficiency.
If you're still coherent after imbibing the first bottle, let us know if there's an "experience" to behold :)

Cheers! (actually, even if you're not coherent. That could be highly entertaining :D)
I will definitely. I was thinking in the terms of micro dosing and after a few pints it just slaps you in the face. We shall see . Cheers

Adding flower or any plant material is an immediate no-go. I've tried it a number of times, and it doesn't work.

Using something that mixes well into a solution is a good approach - honey, distillate, tincture, or similar.

Adding flower or any plant material is an immediate no-go. I've tried it a number of times, and it doesn't work.

Using something that mixes well into a solution is a good approach - honey, distillate, tincture, or similar.
Ive added kief to hot coffee and it dissolves almost immediately and i added it at the end of the boil so im thinking it should be all good and dissolved

I have a book on this that I could scan!

From what I read/remember, it requires a lot of MJ to create a batch, and It just kinda turned me off from trying it. Perhaps a scaled-down 1-2G batch would make more sense.

I have a book on this that I could scan!

From what I read/remember, it requires a lot of MJ to create a batch, and It just kinda turned me off from trying it. Perhaps a scaled-down 1-2G batch would make more sense.
Please do

maybe emulsifiers of some kind? tempered egg yolk thrown in? i think THC is lipophlic and hydrophobic.......but if you're only shooting for a few mg's dissolved? maybe lecthin powder?

Ive added kief to hot coffee and it dissolves almost immediately and i added it at the end of the boil so im thinking it should be all good and dissolved

I just vape flowers and then cook with the AVB infused coconut oil. I've tried using plant material unsuccessfully after trimming, but it never comes out drinkable. I've used infused honey successfully though.

Not trying to be pessimiy, and I hope that I am wrog, but I highly doubt this will work well, and may be a waste if the Keif.

THC and most cannaboids are lipid and alcohol soluble. Which means you either need alcohol or fat for the psychoreactive properties to come over into the drink and then into your body (one of the reason that the main way to imbibe other than smoking is to eat or drink after it has been properly prepared). It's also why you need to make butter rather than eat the leaf just baked in a cookie.

There is little to almost no fat in most beer, and 3% alcohol by volume is far from what is needed for the THC to become an active part of the drink.

There have been a few threads here over the years, and the best solution was to either find a source of high grade alcohol (75%) or as close to as possible, and make a tincture by mixing the alcohol and marijuana in a mason jar etc for several weeks to a few months (look up green dragon recipies), and then add this at either bottling or secondary time.

And then expect a heavy hit to the face.

Not trying to be pessimiy, and I hope that I am wrog, but I highly doubt this will work well, and may be a waste if the Keif.

THC and most cannaboids are lipid and alcohol soluble. Which means you either need alcohol or fat for the psychoreactive properties to come over into the drink and then into your body (one of the reason that the main way to imbibe other than smoking is to eat or drink after it has been properly prepared). It's also why you need to make butter rather than eat the leaf just baked in a cookie.

There is little to almost no fat in most beer, and 3% alcohol by volume is far from what is needed for the THC to become an active part of the drink.

There have been a few threads here over the years, and the best solution was to either find a source of high grade alcohol (75%) or as close to as possible, and make a tincture by mixing the alcohol and marijuana in a mason jar etc for several weeks to a few months (look up green dragon recipies), and then add this at either bottling or secondary time.

And then expect a heavy hit to the face.
Thanks for the info. I will post the final result in a few weeks till then 🍻

I would assume that making a tincture would be the best route. It should be easy to make one and gauge its potiency. I would probably use flower as well in a dry hop, just to try and get some more natural aromatics. I would imagine you would have to grow your own to do this as it would be quite expensive to buy.

I would assume that making a tincture would be the best route. It should be easy to make one and gauge its potiency. I would probably use flower as well in a dry hop, just to try and get some more natural aromatics. I would imagine you would have to grow your own to do this as it would be quite expensive to buy.

Using plant material doesn't give you what you would expect. Of all my experiences brewing with plant material, none have been good and nearly all have been cloying, overly grassy, etc. My suspicion is that the amount that you'd have to use is so small it would otherwise be a waste of effort ($$).

With that said, yes, growing your own is the way to go!

I would imagine you would have to grow your own to do this as it would be quite expensive to buy.

LOL, wait...so making your own beer is supposedly more expensive, but growing your own pot is cheaper?

(but i agree wholeheartedly, i think buying ANY drugs is too expensive! :mug:)

Well thc never made it into your coffee.... the kief and natural flower contains THCA, which is non psychoactive, however It can make you relax just as cbd can. You need to decarboxylate it first with heat so it to at least 220*f to transform into thc (reason why eating raw flowers doesn’t work but smoking does). Once you do this, you still need something for the thc to bind with or again it won’t give you any effects. For brewing purposes you’ll most likely need some form of ethanol, since you wouldn’t really want to add a fat or oil to your beer.

The best way to actually add cannabis to beer would you make a tincture with with high proof alcohol(after you decarboxylate). Then do the proper math for dosing and add directly to each bottle/pint or you can add the tincture to the keg. Good luck!

Last edited:
Here’s some math for you for dosing purposes. There is 1,000 mg in a gram. So if you take THC percent listed by grower or dispensary and put a zero after it you will get you mg of thc per gram. Example 16% thc will give you 160 mg per 1 gram. Then for dosing you need to divide it by the number of ounces of beer your adding the 1gram tincture to. If I use the 1.5 gallons you made for this example is 192 oz. 160 mg divided by 192 = 0.84 mg of thc per ounce of beer. The typical dose is 20 mg of thc so you’d have to drink roughly 21 oz of beer with your tincture mixed in to hit that dose

https://nuts.com/cookingbaking/bean...r-P2ZXUNtsHtsgCbOViBboZeaCrLOGdRoCGU4QAvD_BwE

still think that would be worth a shot......

edit: and as far as decaroxylation goes....i'd be curious if the yeasties would make some nifty esters instead.....maybe try dry pot'ing it during active fermentation?

edit #2: if it needs 220f to decarboxylate, what about brewing in a pressure cooker?
It may decarboxylate but the THC needs to bind to a fat or alcohol for your body to process it. It’s the exact reason they use butter, coconut, or vegetable, avocado oil, ect when making editables

Here’s some math for you for dosing purposes. There is 1,000 mg in a gram. So if you take THC percent listed by grower or dispensary and put a zero after it you will get you mg of thc per gram. Example 16% thc will give you 160 mg per 1 gram. Then for dosing you need to divide it by the number of ounces of beer your adding the 1gram tincture to. If I use the 1.5 gallons you made for this example is 192 oz. 160 mg divided by 192 = 0.84 mg of thc per ounce of beer. The typical dose is 20 mg of thc so you’d have to drink roughly 21 oz of beer with your tincture mixed in to hit that dose

Two comments:

1. Typical dose is relative, and I would say it's more along the lines of 5mg (20mg is a lot, too much for many individuals).

2. When you decarb flowers you will lose some potency, so you need to adjust your numbers, too.

. When you decarb flowers you will lose some potency, so you need to adjust your numbers, too.

COOH would have a molar weight of 35g/mol....i think? you just made my brain hurt looking up atomic weights......thca is 314.wtf'ever.....so subtract, oh hell....you do it yourself!!!

edit: my cheapo mg scale don't work worth a damn.....lol

thcapic.png

i'm looking at that thinking it maybe has been done, but maybe not right....with some thought power what would happen if the yeast turned that into a ethyl ester at the carboxylic, and a glycine ester at the alocohol? and in acid enviroments present in beer, maybe a water soluble salt?

Just took the FG of the Kief brew 1.003 OG was 1.033 smells really good tastes a bit like weed but overall not bad. Tomorrow I bottle and taste in 2-3 weeks

It will definitely have a weed smell taste, but not the effects.

Personally I think that is the opposite of desirable, but then again, even when I was a frequent smoker I mixed with herbs and fruit lol

https://nuts.com/cookingbaking/bean...r-P2ZXUNtsHtsgCbOViBboZeaCrLOGdRoCGU4QAvD_BwE

still think that would be worth a shot......

edit: and as far as decaroxylation goes....i'd be curious if the yeasties would make some nifty esters instead.....maybe try dry pot'ing it during active fermentation?

edit #2: if it needs 220f to decarboxylate, what about brewing in a pressure cooker?

While you would still need a lipid or alcohol base, this use to be a very common way (along with suis vide) to make butter about a decade ago.

So in laymen's terms, the heat would activate it, but the THC wouldn't actually bund with anything and then just through you.

You could do it with bittering hops. I believe stove top teas are some people's go to for ingesting. Decarbing in boiling water takes a while so might work out well. Not sure how long it would stay potent though. Can't see it degrading too quickly..

Folks - DeCarbing is not a myth.
It is highly necessary for extracting the THC and CBD in a way in which it is it's most powerful.
Without it your final product will just not be as good as it can be.

I worked with a company last year that was attempting to storm the cannabis world with a sublingual powder that took effect in 5 min for most people but lasted for 4 hours like an edible. One of the guys involved showed me how they do it and it is found here right now: Potent Ponics

DGallo is spot on his analysis. This one is for him then - the guys I was working with took the dosage levels to .001. It was surreal.

For everyone who is thinking of putting their hard earned time and money into a drink to get high, please think again.
The numbers just do not add up unless you are a huge freaking company, and even then to me it is a waste of good product.

Now if you want to try to taste it?
Try injecting Terpenes into the beer or dry hopping with flower...

You could do it with bittering hops. I believe stove top teas are some people's go to for ingesting. Decarbing in boiling water takes a while so might work out well. Not sure how long it would stay potent though. Can't see it degrading too quickly..
From what I understand that takes some of the cannaboids over , but not all of them and not the THC as it isn't water soluble, it would just pass through you for the most part.

I have made 2 batches. Its expensive and just turns out that you can save all the effort and add tincture at bottling. Not worth my time. But I had friends who thought it was absolutely amazing and cool.

I read more of the thread. Tincture then add exactly what you are aiming for at bottling. It likes to stick to the bottle some. But one 5mil dropper or 1.5 is plenty! Also using this you can add it to any beer you already have a good recipe for.

I tried adding in a steep at the end of a boil i am talking large amounts that was already De carbed. Caused the beer to oxidize really fast with little to no effect.

For everyone who is thinking of putting their hard earned time and money into a drink to get high, please think again.

LOL, that's the problem with prohibition....i've seen pot plants on pot farms in N.Cal....3lb's of dry trimmed pot off just one plant.....hard earned money? hardly!

(i always figure that's why all you ever see in media is stupid indoors)

edit: maybe your money is hard earned....but not their's.....

I've wondered about cannabis for bittering. At least on home brew shop was selling hemp bud by the oz for $20 per iirc. Lots of cbd.

However, I harken back to my youth. Smoke the weed, drink the beer. It worked in the 70's and even in the 80's. No reason it wouldn't work now.

I have made 2 batches. Its expensive and just turns out that you can save all the effort and add tincture at bottling. Not worth my time. But I had friends who thought it was absolutely amazing and cool.

I read more of the thread. Tincture then add exactly what you are aiming for at bottling. It likes to stick to the bottle some. But one 5mil dropper or 1.5 is plenty! Also using this you can add it to any beer you already have a good recipe for.

I tried adding in a steep at the end of a boil i am talking large amounts that was already De carbed. Caused the beer to oxidize really fast with little to no effect.

I’m considering doing this for about a dozen bottles when bottling time comes. Are you saying that 5ml from a tincture is plenty for a 5 gallon batch? I’m trying to figure out dosing to make this a mild experience... For a guy like me, there’s a real fine line between having fun and not having fun...

Dan

I’m considering doing this for about a dozen bottles when bottling time comes. Are you saying that 5ml from a tincture is plenty for a 5 gallon batch? I’m trying to figure out dosing to make this a mild experience... For a guy like me, there’s a real fine line between having fun and not having fun...

Dan
No. It completely matters how many mg of thc is in each mg. Without that information it’s all useless information

Yes I’d be after like 2mg thc per bottle.

I suppose I just need to learn more about tinctures to figure that ratio out.

Dan
So let’s say you get a medical tincture that is 300 mg per 15 ml. That would be 20 mg per ml. So if you would theoretically need 5 ml of tincture for each of the 54 - 12 oz bottles to have roughly 2 mg per bottle.

so you can see the tincture’s total mg and total ml is what matters

Back