That's a lot of strawberries! (first mead)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peppers16

Reaction score
7865811676_a34e277d30_b.jpg

Just racked my first ever mead to secondary. I guess it's recommended to do a show mead first but I thought: Strawberries are in season and if I'm ageing it for up to a year I might as well go the whole hog and try a melomel!
The general recommendation seemed to be 1.5 kilograms of strawberries And I didn't realise that'd be quite so many! Although volume-wise it doesn't actually take up as much of a gallon as it looks like it does.

Got an extra bottle fermenting to top up the head-space in tertiary.

Is this a familiar sight to experienced strawberry-users or did I overdo it? :D

Cheers

Damn, I used 3 kg of strawberries in a 20 liter batch and... that was a lot to me. :p

I smash up all my fruit and leave it in a plastic bin for the first week to ten days with the must, then rack into a carboy. Just the way I do it though. Strawberry color looks like it will be very nice!

Damn, I used 3 kg of strawberries in a 20 liter batch and... that was a lot to me. :p

Yikes, I'm not sure if I'll actually be able to call this a mead, it'll probably be more fruit wine than it is honey wine! :D

Strawberry color looks like it will be very nice!

Yeah, by morning it's already looking very red!

Latest posts

Back