That StarSan Smell...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cannman

Beer Theorist
Reaction score
I've used StarSan for a while now but only recently did I notice an odor... I'd describe it somewhere along the lines between fermenting sewage and rotting petroleum. I'm wondering if my bottle contains a formulation different than my previous bottles or I've really just noticed the smell. Anyone else have an odor? :eek:nestar:

Are you sure of your descriptors? Fermenting sewage is typically pretty vile, so is petroleum waste. I have noticed an almost chlorine-like, slightly sulfur smell before in an old solution, but never anything close to rancid or putrid. The fresh, concentrated stuff has a 'chemical' smell to it.

I think I figured it out...

In an effort to reduce contact with my hands, I was wearing Nitril gloves... I wonder if StarSan was dissolving the material!!! Or forming a reaction. If you've got Nitril at home, give it a shot... it smells pretty bad...

I think I figured it out...

In an effort to reduce contact with my hands, I was wearing Nitril gloves... I wonder if StarSan was dissolving the material!!! Or forming a reaction. If you've got Nitril at home, give it a shot... it smells pretty bad...

i have those gloves at home but ill take your word for it lol.

The age old "OMG, this smells like Ass, smell it" or "this tastes like Dog poop, taste it!" Uhhhh, no thanks.

I recently saw this post as I was researching the cause of the sewer odor coming from the laundry tub in which I sanitize my brew equipment. I don't think this is a coincidence although I have no idea why the Star San is causing this reaction. If anyone out there has an explaination for the foul odor I am all ears.

I recently saw this post as I was researching the cause of the sewer odor coming from the laundry tub in which I sanitize my brew equipment. I don't think this is a coincidence although I have no idea why the Star San is causing this reaction. If anyone out there has an explaination for the foul odor I am all ears.

The conclusion was that Starsan and Nitrile gloves caused the smell... so the Starsan is prob having an effect on the plastic used to make your laundry tub...

Is your laundry tub in the basement? Is there a floor drain below it or nearby? If the water in the floor drain trap has evaporated, you can get a sewer smell from that. Pour some water in the floor drain and see if it goes away.:off:

**** you think it smells bad...I drank some on accident, it was diluted but that sucks way worse then a little smell.

what the hell kind of star san are you using??? :confused: :p

I've never noticed any such odors in mine.

Oh man if I had a dollar for every time someone in a thread went "I've never had that problem"--I mean I googled "Star san sulphur" that got me here... that's likely an indication that my star san smells like sulphur, not that it doesn't smell like sulphur. If no one else on Earth had this problem I'd just assume no one would start a thread saying that their star san smelled like sulphur, I don't need to read about all the people whose star san never smelled like sulphur.

Oh man if I had a dollar for every time someone in a thread went "I've never had that problem"--I mean I googled "Star san sulphur" that got me here... that's likely an indication that my star san smells like sulphur, not that it doesn't smell like sulphur. If no one else on Earth had this problem I'd just assume no one would start a thread saying that their star san smelled like sulphur, I don't need to read about all the people whose star san never smelled like sulphur.
So, you created an account and necro posted on a two year old thread just to troll Hunter about a problem he's never had?

Classy.

I've never googled that.

Likely, the sulfur smell is from using StarSan in a Perlick 650SS flow control, that is a known issue with the grade of stainless used in the flow control mechanism. Supposedly it might be fixed in newer ones... But being a two year old thread... I didn't read the entire thread but that's the only time I've ever heard that Phosphoric Acid smelling like sulfur...ever....

I've had a similar smell. Not so much sulfur or sewage, but more like turd on a hot plate or a hobos 5-gallon latrine. I switched to Lysol no-rinse sanitizer. Cheaper and smells good.

So, you created an account and necro posted on a two year old thread just to troll Hunter about a problem he's never had?

Classy.

Actually if you check my join date, you'll see it says 2011. And yes, I calls em like I sees em, not intending to insult, just pointing out a pet peeve of mine.

Actually if you check my join date, you'll see it says 2011. And yes, I calls em like I sees em, not intending to insult, just pointing out a pet peeve of mine.

This was really helpful. Made me go smell my star san. Yup, sulfur. That explains why my beers all smell like farts when I open them. No more star San for me I guess.

My siphon tube smells, my starsan smells. My bottle has kind of been broken since day one. Perhaps our starsan has gone bad. More so I think the stuff smells after it dries out in plastic. I have started to only rinse and clean really well and then starsan right before I brew.

I have used many, many different bottles of starsan and have never noticed any odor I would call offensive. It does have a smell but it isn't offensive. Sour, acidic, slightly chemical maybe.

The color does vary quite a bit from batch to batch, I've noticed.

Mine sounds like it's skunk. Do you ss your siphon tubing and then put it away to dry?

My black caps pretty much broke the first day I got it. I over tightened them. When I over tighten stuff, I break stuff unfortunately.

I've had a similar smell. Not so much sulfur or sewage, but more like turd on a hot plate or a hobos 5-gallon latrine. I switched to Lysol no-rinse sanitizer. Cheaper and smells good.

What is Lysol no rinse??

I don't need to read about all the people whose star san never smelled like sulphur.

But I think it's actually important that you DO read about people who's star San doesn't smell. I mean, if you're interested in solving your problem it may be good to engage with people who DON'T have your problem.

Mine smells (very fragrantly) like sulfur after pumping it through my flow control Perlick Faucets. it's a documented issue with Stainless Perlick Flow Controls though. They react to the sanitizer, ciders, sour or acidic beers, and even to seltzer water I have in a keg..

I have been using the same bottle of Starsan for 5 years. I broke the cap 3 years ago. I keep a couple of gallons mixed at all times in a 5 gallon plastic water bottle. I have not noticed any smell, ever, in my Starsan.

I do know that Starsan gives some people issues due to the water chemistry of their tap water.

Try making some up with different water.

Mine smells (very fragrantly) like sulfur after pumping it through my flow control Perlick Faucets. it's a documented issue with Stainless Perlick Flow Controls though. They react to the sanitizer, ciders, sour or acidic beers, and even to seltzer water I have in a keg..

Sounds like a great recommendation for the flow control faucets (not).

Hi to you too, you may not have "not intending to insult" but you came off as an asshat.
I have been using the same bottle of Starsan for 5 years. I broke the cap 3 years ago. I keep a couple of gallons mixed at all times in a 5 gallon plastic water bottle. I have not noticed any smell, ever, in my Starsan.

I do know that Starsan gives some people issues due to the water chemistry of their tap water.

Try making some up with different water.
Sounds exactly like what I do, I'll dump what's in the bottle after a few uses.
Just took a good whiff of my spray bottle, very clean pleasant smelling.

you may not have "not intending to insult" but you came off as an asshat.

Sorry. I'll never criticize anything on the Internet ever again, and instead just call people names

But I think it's actually important that you DO read about people who's star San doesn't smell. I mean, if you're interested in solving your problem it may be good to engage with people who DON'T have your problem.

Ah, point, but how many different people who say "my star san has never smelled" does it take for that to be useful data to someone whose star san does smell? For example, take a random smell, google "star san homebrew licorice smell"--I search and get no relevant results. So if my star san smelled like licorice, I'd pretty quickly conclude that for whatever reason my case is unique or very very rare. I don't need to know other people's star san never smelled that way.

Sorry. I'll never criticize anything on the Internet ever again, and instead just call people names

Ah, point, but how many different people who say "my star san has never smelled" does it take for that to be useful data to someone whose star san does smell? For example, take a random smell, google "star san homebrew licorice smell"--I search and get no relevant results. So if my star san smelled like licorice, I'd pretty quickly conclude that for whatever reason my case is unique or very very rare. I don't need to know other people's star san never smelled that way.

I'll retract what I said and apologize for calling you an asshat but you were condescending.
If the majority of people do not have an issue with the product either you are using the product wrong or the water you use to mix with the product , or some other outside factor causing the issue.
You not wanting to hear that there is no issue with the product just goes to prove your asshatery, oops, there I go again, sorry:mug:

It's a discussion forum. So someone says hey my star San stinks. Anyone have that happen?

No
No
No
Yes kind of
No
No, that's weird
What's star San?
No
Maybe it's contaminated?
No

That's s discussion. Too bad you were wasting your time on a discussion forum and people wasted your time. Hahaha

My Starsan has never smelled like sulphur. :mug:

This is hilarious. Star San defenders versus the obviously paranoid smell guy. Im going to side with the latter. Telling somebody they must have something wrong with "their water" is flat out bullying, :)

That's s discussion. Too bad you were wasting your time on a discussion forum and people wasted your time. Hahaha

It's just that if people aren't discouraged to write things like "no that hasn't happened to me" or "what's star san" sometimes you end up with pages of those kinds of answers so I tend to push back on them. I also realize that part of a great forum like this *is* based on the humanity of *some* irrelevant discourse and *isn't* people like myself acting like the internet police and I don't mean to do that, so in the greater scheme of things I don't know whether my venting actually had any net positive effect. Maybe not. :mug:

It's just that if people aren't discouraged to write things like "no that hasn't happened to me" or "what's star san" sometimes you end up with pages of those kinds of answers so I tend to push back on them. I also realize that part of a great forum like this *is* based on the humanity of *some* irrelevant discourse and *isn't* people like myself acting like the internet police and I don't mean to do that, so in the greater scheme of things I don't know whether my venting actually had any net positive effect. Maybe not. :mug:

Meh. I think it's helpful for someone without much experience in brewing to see someone respond the way Hunter did. What it really means if you're paying attention is "yes, that's unusual for star San to smell that way".

I wish I had more info to be able to add to the discussion of "why" but all I can add is that I don't have that experience with star San. Also, thread had been dead for two years and was only resurrected due to your rant. This may not really be a relevant issue at this point.

It wasn't resurrected after 2 years due to the rant. It was dead for 5 months.

It wasn't resurrected after 2 years due to the rant. It was dead for 5 months.

Yep, corrected.

Also OP thought he found the cause. Perhaps it would be more useful to check that if your star San smells instead of posting something insulting about someone who hasn't experienced the issue.

Back