Texas man has greatest medical condition ever!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MarcusKillion

Reaction score
Texas man has " Auto Brewery syndrome " How great is that ! Well as long as you do not have to drive .

Read the whole story here
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162...ecomes-drunk-when-stomach-turns-into-brewery/

When a 61-year-old Texas man came into an emergency room claiming he was dizzy and was found to have a blood alcohol concentration of 0.37 percent, doctors assumed he was drunk.
It turned out that those medical professionals were wrong: the man had "auto-brewery syndrome." His stomach contained so much yeast that he was making his own in-house brew, literally.

My wife told me about this. Funny thing is, the article I read sais he was an avid homebrewer. The other documented cases were also in TX and Japan in the 70's. Pretty crazy.

I always wondered in a similar situation if someone could eat some brewers yeast then drink a lot of sugar water if they could get drunk. I figured the stomach acid would kill off the yeast but I guess in this case it didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back