Texas Texas grains, Texas malt.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexMalt

Reaction score
Hey all! Wanted to introduce ourselves, we are TexMalt, the only local malthouse bringing you 100% Texas grain 100% traditionally floor malted! We are located in Ft. Worth and are willing to sell to the homebrewer, we can always work something out with a group of you guys! We also have our stuff listed at Stubby's at txbrewing.com just look up TexMalt and you'll find reviews and can have it shipped to your door! Or if a few of yall ever want to get together and come by and see what we do and grab some malt let me know! We at TexMalt look to build a relationship with the homebrewer, you guys drive the industry and determine the level of quality for the market so we welcome you guys with open arms! If anyone has questions send me a message through here or to [email protected]

Cheers!!

Group buys aren't worth the effort to organize unless the price per pound is under $0.6 for 2-row.
What is your minimum order size and at what price per pound per item?

Group buys aren't worth the effort to organize unless the price per pound is under $0.6 for 2-row.
What is your minimum order size and at what price per pound per item?

We understand organizing group buys can be a lot of work and encourage anyone interested in purchasing to go through txbrewing.com for individual grain bills. We would be taking a loss at .60cents per pound, we aren't in a market that allows that price point yet. Being that we've had to basically start from scratch with having farmers start growing malting barley, wheat, and rye its going to take time to get their cost down.

Hopefully with the more interest and push to use local grains we'd be able to get close, but right now we are not. For a more accurate price quote I would refer you to [email protected].

As far as minimum order size we can accommodate an array of order sizes because we always have at least a few items in stock. I would say at least 50lbs because its what we sack in.

Hope this answers any and all questions.

I'd like to refer to this article about where our grain comes from, helps put a face on the movement.

http://lubbockonline.com/news/2017-02-26/beer-barley-west-texas-explores-new-use-old-crop

I love the idea of all Texas grains, I just wish the store was a little closer of a drive. Any reason you wouldn't supply grain to Homebrew Headquarters in Richardson, Dallas Homebrew in Carrollton, or Baron's Brewwerks in Denton?

I love the idea of all Texas grains, I just wish the store was a little closer of a drive. Any reason you wouldn't supply grain to Homebrew Headquarters in Richardson, Dallas Homebrew in Carrollton, or Baron's Brewwerks in Denton?

We've tried to get into almost all of those stores and we will keep trying!

I wasn't expecting 50lb minimum order from a maltser. Last Houston area group buy that I was involved in was organized through this forum and weighed in at 4500lbs at an average cost of $0.68 per lb. We did 5 (about 1 every 3 months) of these before our leader/organizer gave it up. This was a mix of many different grain types with standard 2-row as low as $0.55 per lb. There is an opportunity here but the price has to be right.

We understand organizing group buys can be a lot of work and encourage anyone interested in purchasing to go through txbrewing.com for individual grain bills. We would be taking a loss at .60cents per pound, we aren't in a market that allows that price point yet. Being that we've had to basically start from scratch with having farmers start growing malting barley, wheat, and rye its going to take time to get their cost down.

Hopefully with the more interest and push to use local grains we'd be able to get close, but right now we are not. For a more accurate price quote I would refer you to [email protected].

As far as minimum order size we can accommodate an array of order sizes because we always have at least a few items in stock. I would say at least 50lbs because its what we sack in.

Hope this answers any and all questions.

I'd like to refer to this article about where our grain comes from, helps put a face on the movement.

http://lubbockonline.com/news/2017-02-26/beer-barley-west-texas-explores-new-use-old-crop

We will have a booth at Bluebonnet Festival this weekend for any of those interested that are going! We will have some swag and some surprises as well!

I wasn't expecting 50lb minimum order from a maltser. Last Houston area group buy that I was involved in was organized through this forum and weighed in at 4500lbs at an average cost of $0.68 per lb. We did 5 (about 1 every 3 months) of these before our leader/organizer gave it up. This was a mix of many different grain types with standard 2-row as low as $0.55 per lb. There is an opportunity here but the price has to be right.

We need to get another one started... I wonder if schaez is bored and ready to start it up again! :)

Hey all! Wanted to introduce ourselves, we are TexMalt, the only local malthouse bringing you 100% Texas grain 100% traditionally floor malted! We are located in Ft. Worth and are willing to sell to the homebrewer, we can always work something out with a group of you guys! We also have our stuff listed at Stubby's at txbrewing.com just look up TexMalt and you'll find reviews and can have it shipped to your door! Or if a few of yall ever want to get together and come by and see what we do and grab some malt let me know! We at TexMalt look to build a relationship with the homebrewer, you guys drive the industry and determine the level of quality for the market so we welcome you guys with open arms! If anyone has questions send me a message through here or to [email protected]
Cheers!!
Hi. Although I currently live in the Memphis area, we moved here from Aledo about ten years ago, and I still miss Texas! I hope you guys mean it when you say you want a relationship with the homebrewer. Too often, a small malster selling local malt quickly sells out to larger brewing interests (case in point, Colorado Malting Co. Now that they're established, they could give a hoot about the homebrewer.) Given the artisan nature of what you do, I'd be willing to pay more for a good quality, local (i.e. Texas) malt. BTW, is there any chance you guys could get into Chevallier Heritage Malt? It's almost impossible for a homebrewer to get, yet I'd love to make some beer with it. Thanks for posting and I wish you the very best in the future. Ed
:mug:

Might have to give it a try when my hops crop is ready to do an all TX beer. I know I can order online from TXBrewing, but any chance you guys have broken into the Austin market yet? I can imagine some of the local brewers would love to do an all TX brew.

Hi. Although I currently live in the Memphis area, we moved here from Aledo about ten years ago, and I still miss Texas! I hope you guys mean it when you say you want a relationship with the homebrewer. Too often, a small malster selling local malt quickly sells out to larger brewing interests (case in point, Colorado Malting Co. Now that they're established, they could give a hoot about the homebrewer.) Given the artisan nature of what you do, I'd be willing to pay more for a good quality, local (i.e. Texas) malt. BTW, is there any chance you guys could get into Chevallier Heritage Malt? It's almost impossible for a homebrewer to get, yet I'd love to make some beer with it. Thanks for posting and I wish you the very best in the future. Ed

We have every intention on building a solid reputation with every aspect of this business, and no intention on leaving anyone out. I can't comment on another malt house success or decisions.

As far as that variety of malt, its not in our harvest for 2017 but we will look into it for the future. You can find all of our upcoming harvest via our website at www.texmalt.com

Might have to give it a try when my hops crop is ready to do an all TX beer. I know I can order online from TXBrewing, but any chance you guys have broken into the Austin market yet? I can imagine some of the local brewers would love to do an all TX brew.

We are working as hard as we can to get into some of the shops down there!!

Next time you find your self in a shop down there ask for our stuff!!!

Why do you say Colorado Malting doesn't care about homebrewers?

Thanks for introducing the company here.

I live in Houston. Only a couple of decent homebrew shops here.

Defalco's is the place to try and get in down here. Easily the biggest shop in Houston.

We are now in Barons Brewwerks for all those in the Northern part of DFW...looking to break into the Houston, Austin, San Antonio shops this Summer!

We in Houston would love to have you!!

We are hard at work to get in to DeFalcos homebrew shop, as soon as we can sure up the deal we will post it in this thread! We are hopeful it will be this summer!

Thanks for all the interest!

I’ll be in Fort Worth this summer and agin in September for a concert , I’ll make a point to stop by and get some malt !

Who carries your stuff? I know Texas Brewing Inc. did but they don't seem to have it on their web site.

Hey everyone, we have started making malt available again at Brewhound in Fort Worth. Swing by and say hello to Chris!

I found this malt and Texas yeast at the BrewHound in Ft. Worth, Texas and decided to brew a Imperial IPA with it and yeast from Community Cultures in San Antonio, Texas.

Back