Temps AFTER primary has finished

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jump_xiii

Reaction score
My stout has been in primary for around 8 days. I had trouble keeping a constant temp but in the end it levelled out. I'm leaving it another week, maybe two, in the primary FV on the yeast cake to, hopefully, clean up before bottling.

So do I need to worry about the temp any more? It's out in the shed where the temp is around 52• in the day and maybe mid 40s at night... Should I try to keep it warmer?

Did you put it outside after verifying that fermentation stopped with a SG reading? Or are you saying that it has been there all along and the temps just started to drop?

So far I've been keeping it out there the whole time, but regulating the temp, or trying to, with a brew belt around the bucket- I kept it around 62-64• as best I could, but it took me a while to stop it from swinging from too warm to too cold. Just wondering whether to keep it on or switch it off now.

The lid of the FV usually puffs up ( I don't have an airlock or anything, just the lid, no hole, but it isn't airtight) and it isn't doing that anymore so I'm pretty sure the bulk of the fermentation is done.

Once the initial propagation and the fast part of the ferment is over, let your beer warm up to room temperature as this will encourage the yeast to finish all the sugars and do the clean up work too. The flavor of your beer is already pretty much set and keeping it too cool will tend to drop out the yeast before it has completed.

RM-MN said:
Once the initial propagation and the fast part of the ferment is over, let your beer warm up to room temperature as this will encourage the yeast to finish all the sugars and do the clean up work too. The flavor of your beer is already pretty much set and keeping it too cool will tend to drop out the yeast before it has completed.

So 68-70• or so? And keep it there until I bottle it? Room temp doesn't mean much as I do my brewing out in the shed... Once bottled I bring my bottles in for a few weeks to carb at room temp.

(all of the above came across like I do this all the time! This is just going on what I did the first time - much of it too soon, and what I'm doing this time on batch 2)

My goal is simple: make this batch better than the first batch.

Yes, mine stays even warmer in a 72 degree room for 2 to 4 weeks once that first cool week is completed. It hasn't stalled yet and I like that it matures faster in the bottle.

Latest posts

Back