Temps after bulk of fermentation has occured

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blk94f150

Reaction score
After my ales have been fermenting in the freezer for 2-3 weeks, can I then take it out and either leave it in the primary up to about 4 weeks, or rack it to a secondary for aging at room temps? (about 70F tops air temp and sitting on cool basement floor)

My motivation is that I can only fit 2 fermenters in my chest freezer and I want to have firm temp control during the majority of fermentation but also need to free up space to keep up with demand.

Mike

Once the fermentation is complete temperature control is less critical. So, you can move them out.

OK. I'm letting a glass of water sit on the basement floor to measure the temp. I'm going to guess it's around 68. Without the heat of fermentation, I don't think the temp will change much.

More freezers are in the future!

Mike

It sounds like you are in fine, fine shape. It also sounds like you could probably pull your fermenter out after about five days (or less) and be just as fine.

TL

I was thinking that I might be able to take it out a little early, but I'd like to be a control freak until the yeast storm dies down. I just measured my basement floor temp and it's 65F right now.

Mike

Everything I have read, heard and done confirms that it is ok to let your fermenter warm into the mid to low 70's after initial fermentation has completed (about a week). You want a constant temperature thats not too hot. This is even confirmed on several of Jamil's podcasts I've listened to.

That's exactly right, Ed. Just about all my ales start in the 60s but finish in the low 70s. It's just a way I ensure that those buggers don't floc out on me early and leave me with a bunch of diacetyl to deal with.

TL

Latest posts

Back