temperature question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epistrummer

Reaction score
It was really hot in the house sunday when I brewed a batch of pale ale and it stayed above 75 degrees for about 24 hours. Several reasons for this- thermostat was set at 70 degrees, I brewed in the kitchen, thus heating up the house and it was hot outside that day. Kind of a perfect storm of circumstances. AAnyway, the temperature is now down to about 64 where it will stay. My question is, will this beer likely have off flavors? And if so, wil they mellow with age?

Was the beer actively fermenting while the temp was up? If so, you could see esters and/or fusel alcohols. Hard to say what will or will not show up, and how long it would take to condition out (if it can). A lot depends on your yeast pitched, what they were doing, etc.

You likely didn't have enough time for much active fermentation during those first 24 hours. If you do have any off flavors, they should be minimal, and easily conditioned out. Either way, what's done is done at this point, so finish up the beer and deal with any issues as they come!

Back