Temperature problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jos

Reaction score
Folks, I've got a problem.

The opposite of what most people have: fermenting is no problem, but maturing is. I live in Bangkok and the average temperature is 35 C. That's great for fermenting the brew. But terrible for maturing.

Digging a hole in the ground is not an option; my landlord probably kills me if I try. (Besides, the other tennants wouldn't like to see me drill a hole in the parking garage either.)

I'm pretty certain people in the Southern US have more or less the same problem. How do you mature your brews?

Ps: I'd like to try mead. And that definitely needs to mature for at least several months.

Trying to keep the temperatures down without some form of powered cooling is just about impossible. Even if the humidity levels allowed for evaporative cooling, you'd never get to 15C. I blow cold air from my kegger into a heavily insulated conditioning cabinet.

Folks, I've got a problem.

The opposite of what most people have: fermenting is no problem, but maturing is. I live in Bangkok and the average temperature is 35 C. That's great for fermenting the brew. But terrible for maturing.

Digging a hole in the ground is not an option; my landlord probably kills me if I try. (Besides, the other tennants wouldn't like to see me drill a hole in the parking garage either.)

I'm pretty certain people in the Southern US have more or less the same problem. How do you mature your brews?

Ps: I'd like to try mead. And that definitely needs to mature for at least several months.
I'm afraid you have two problems if you think that 95-F is great for fermenting. :D

What do you mean by maturing? Are you talking about secondary, or resting in primary...or bottle storage/conditioning?

Wow...Thailand, eh? How cool! How hard is it to get ingredients? Is there a homebrewing culture there?

What do you mean by maturing? Are you talking about secondary, or resting in primary...or bottle storage/conditioning?

Wow...Thailand, eh? How cool! How hard is it to get ingredients? Is there a homebrewing culture there?
Just about impossible to get ingredients. Home brewing culture: none whatsoever.

There are a few microbreweries, but not a lot. Getting raw ingredients isn't too difficult. But specific ingredients (yeast, nutrients, equipment) no go.

It's all d-i-y. Fermenting vessels are easy to make: I convert 10 L water jars. Waterlocks aren't too diifficult to make. But anything else is a problem.

Back