Temperature Controller Settings for Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greatschmaltez

Reaction score
Have a Johnson Controls temperature controller for the keezer I am currently building. I am going to have the 120mm fan with the PVC pipe circulating air properly. I'm trying to figure out the best setup to maintain cold beer with cycling the power to often. Specifically:

1) Is it better to have the thermo probe in a glass of water or in the air?
2) What should the appropriate SP and DIF value be?

Obviously 1 is dependent on 2 so I'd like to get some input on what works well for you.

I'm doing a 7.2 cubic ft frigidaire... 4 kegs + CO2 + 8" collar.

Thanks

I have the same freezer/fan/collar setup also with 4 kegs and co2, but use a ranco for control. I wouldn't put the probe directly in water as they aren't made to be waterproof and could go bad (that's my understanding at least). I put my probe in a recessed piece of styrofoam (to insulation it from the circulating air in the freezer) and tape that directly to a two liter bottle filled with water that sits on the bottom of my freezer.

I have my temp set at 39 with a 6 degree swing. Beer pours around 42-43ish, just right for immediate consumption for most styles:D. Freezer only comes on a few times a day that i've noticed, usually for about 15min each time.

Great, thanks for the feedback, that's actually how I have my fermentation chamber set-up, only replace the 2 liter bottle with a 6.5 gallon fermentor. I'll start with that set-up and see how it works.

+1 on caution when immersing probes...I ruined one that way.

However, you can "sleeve" it - with some stainless or brass (I got some that slid right over the probe from the local hobby shop).
Cut to slightly longer than probe section, seal one end with epoxy. Slide the probe in, and seal the "wire" end with epoxy. Voila - waterproof.

Mine sits in my glycol tank - (pumped on demand to my fermentation tank) so it probably comes on a bit more often when I'm fermenting in the summer, but overall, pretty stable.

Latest posts

Back