Temperature and my new chest freezer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulls Beers

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was wondering if I'm gonna have an issue with temperature. My new chest freezer is in an area where it is pretty hot in the summer and really cold in the winter. Maybe 100-110 in summer and could be low 40's in the winter. How insulated are these appliances? Think I'll have a problem?

It will just work harder in the summer. I'm sure it will keep up, but it probably isn't going to last as long as it would if it were somewhere more temperate. You can't do squat about too cold - eventually the inside will lower to the external ambient temperature. Low 40's doesn't sound too bad though - is that a "low" or an average daily temperature?

If you add more thermal mass inside the freezer, it'll take longer for the temp inside to drop. Whatever free space you have, fill with jugs of water. Even 12oz pop bottles filling small spaces will add more mass to even out the temps when it drops at night. Then, if ambient temp is higher most of the time, but dips at night, it'll help round off that curve.

I left mine turned off for a week on accident and when I got home everything inside was still cool with an ambient temp of around 60. I have also left the lid open to come back and find that the freezer is at the correct temp and not running. They hold temperature extremely well, and lots of people keep them in garages and other places that have wide temp fluctuations with no problems at all.

I'm more worried about the summer. It can get really hot. I hope I don't over work it. Last nice was below zero and the ambient temp was mid to high 40's. not too bad.

as long as it is above freezing I wouldn't worry about it. And it will all even out winter it will hardly run and will run a lot in summer

as long as it is above freezing I wouldn't worry about it. And it will all even out winter it will hardly run and will run a lot in summer

I think your right..I just hooked up the JC thermostat. Right now the ambient temp is 50. 40's at night. It's not gonna run that much in the winter. I guess I could add some air conditioning in the summer to try and cool that area a little.

What's the most accurate way to keep a constant temp? I heard to use bubble wrap around the bottle with the probe inside. Is this true?

I have two bottles inside, so should I wrap both of them?

What's the most accurate way to keep a constant temp? I heard to use bubble wrap around the bottle with the probe inside. Is this true?

I have two bottles inside, so should I wrap both of them?

I just have the probe about halfway down on a little shelf i had out of wood to protect it . I use a fan to circulate the air inside and the love controller set to 42° beer is always just the way I like it.

The fan's a good idea. What type of fan do you use? It seems that the temp at the bottom of the freezer seems a little colder.

Back