Temp in freezer while using a fridge to lager?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattd2

Reaction score
Hi,
Does anyone know what the temperature is (approx.) in the freezer of a fridge/freezer that is being used to lager? I was wondering if I could use the freezer as a extra "fridge".
Cheers.

um............. is none an acceptable answer. I'm looking into getting a fridge, fridge/freezer or chest freezer to get into largering. Wanted to know what the best option to get (i.e. didn't want to get a fridge/freezer and be stuck with a useless "box"!) sound like it should still freeze stuff if largering, might start getting a bit useless if using it to keep ales fermented at a nice temperature though (might be in the ballpark of it could freeze or maybe not). Does this sound right?
What temp range is good for largering (55?)

Mine doesn't. If i go anywhere above 40 I've got a useless box. Interesting how mine works though, the coils are actually in the freezer. thermo in the fridge. The dial that controls the freezer temp opens or closes air flow to the fridge, cutting off the compressor when the fridge gets to temp. I suppose you could block that vent so it takes longer for the fridge to get to temp while the freezer is getting colder. Dunno if its worth the extra work on the compressor.

Interesting, isn't 40 a pretty low maximum temp for a fridge? The other design I have read about is; thermostat in the fridge with 2 coils running from 1 compressor, you set the fridge temp and the freezer is assumed to be cold. Apparentlly doesn't work to well in cold places as the fridge doesn't turn on if the ambient temp is less than the set point (for obvious reasons) so the freezer never runs and everything defrost. Confuses people as their freezer doesn't work when its really cold:confused:!

37 F is the recommended temp now days. With some of the new electronic units you can pretty much have it all. Sensors in both parts and a door that will completely close to the freezer side if the freezer needs more and the fresh food section is at temp.

Back