Temp drop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frozennorth

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I bottled my DIPA last weekend. Since then our temps have dropped into the low 50's. It is at best 60 upstairs and about 50 downstairs. How does this temp drop effect the carbonating process? Will it just take longer.

The lower the temp, the slower the yeast will work. Low enough, and they'll just stop. I'd warm up them bottles if you want to see carbonation in a reasonable amount of time (weeks).

Any ideas on how to warm them up? I can not justify turning on the heat, as I have 8 months of use just around the corner. Would a heating pad under the box work?

Others in a situation similar to yours will have to chime in. I hardly ever bottle... and I live in Florida. My problems are how to cool things down.

But if I had to guess, yes, some source of heat that takes the bottles to the upper 60s or into the 70s would be a good thing. Maybe you can enclose the beer and keep the heat cost lower. Think along the lines of an incubator.

Not sure it will help you this time (maybe it can), but I use this product to heat up the inside of my fermentation chamber (ok, ok, it does get cold in Central Florida). It works rather well.

That could help in the future, thanks. In the deepest cold up here, -50 to -60, the house stays at a comfy 68, but in the summer it is a crap shoot. Some years it is hot and dry, others it is raining and chilly. Ah, the wonders of the far north.

Latest posts

Back