Temp Corrections?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marconlin

Reaction score
I just have this simple Question.

Just one.

When taking a gravity reading of wort from the mash tun, should I adjust for temp.

That was it.

I thank you in advance.

I would cool the sample first. If you're over 90F the temp correction tends to not be as accurate. I usually stick the sample in the freezer for a minute or two to drop the temp down closer to the hydrometer calibrated temp.

Refractometers are awesome! Totally worth it for the minimal cost. It is also nice to be able to verify that the hydrometer and refractometer are reading the same for the OG.

krenshaw said:
i've found that the beersmith temp correction tool is pretty accurate after testing it with a refrac afterwards.. i only use it for the preboil though

The main reason I wanted to get a refractometer was To monitor gravity toward the end of the boil quickly and easily to verify they I hit my numbers. That way if I need to boost my gravity I can add a little extract.

The main reason I wanted to get a refractometer was To monitor gravity toward the end of the boil quickly and easily to verify they I hit my numbers. That way if I need to boost my gravity I can add a little extract.

i've used it once or twice towards the end (with success), though i've found that if my pre-boils are on the mark with what they are supposed to be, my pos-boil ones are always on target

Back