Temp controller issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kennywd

Reaction score
Bought a temp controller off eBay. Was suppose to be rated for 110v, but it was rated for 220v. The device came on but I wasn't getting anything from the relays. It's an stc-1000. I not sure if I missed read(more likely) or they sent me the wrong one. I was wondering if there is anything I can do to salvage this? If I can replace anything that would be great. If not will trade for anyone that has a 110v and needs 220v.

If you say there is plenty of info. I haven't found it, spent hours looking. I wouldn't be posting up if it was that easy to find. I am looking to modify the innards of the controller to work with 110v. Of if I just need to buy a new one. Every thing I have found so far is how to build one. Well mine is built. I am not saying the answer. Isn't out there, I was just trying to find another person who may have found this problem before. I would just rather spend less money buying a new relay and soldering it in, instead of pay even more for the 110v controller. Like I said before the controller comes on. But the relays don't switch over even though my controller says they should be on. So I am guess they are getting enough voltage to switch on. But I am also not an expert electrician. Thank you for reading this and appreciate any helpful info.

I checked, guy doesn't carry 110v only 220v. I am pretty sure I read his competitors before and thought I was getting right one. But the oh wow that's a good deal overpowered the logic of is this the right model.

Thank you, I looked at so many pages, but that tread is amazingly long. I'll check it out.

Start around post #1388. wayne1 came up with a transformer swap that will make your 220vac unit work at 110vac. The link to a vendor for the transformer is http://estore.heilind.com/search_octo.asp?p=BV301S09015 - and surprisingly, it's still valid and they're in stock! Hopefully you don't get bit by a minimum order price (I didn't check but that was mentioned in the thread).

You'll find that the replacement transformer is taller than the original, so you have to cut a hole in the case, allowing the transformer to poke through. That shouldn't be a problem. But obviously some skills are required to remove the original transformer and install the replacement...

Cheers!

Thanks every one looks like I will just buy the right one. And see if i can sell it 220v. Thanks for the help.

day_trippr said:
Start around post #1388. wayne1 came up with a transformer swap that will make your 220vac unit work at 110vac. The link to a vendor for the transformer is http://estore.heilind.com/search_octo.asp?p=BV301S09015 - and surprisingly, it's still valid and they're in stock! Hopefully you don't get bit by a minimum order price (I didn't check but that was mentioned in the thread).

You'll find that the replacement transformer is taller than the original, so you have to cut a hole in the case, allowing the transformer to poke through. That shouldn't be a problem. But obviously some skills are required to remove the original transformer and install the replacement...

Cheers!

Just saw post, that is what I was looking for. Thanks.

Back