Temp Controller: Anyone ever use this one?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have to bypass the thermostat in a fridge so that it runs all the time. Then, the thermostat on the unit turns it on and off as needed. I do this with a wine fridge for my fermentation chamber, works great.

(My STC-1000 has a compressor delay setting to avoid turning the compressor on and off too frequently, I assume any similar gadget will have something like this too.)

I've always wondered. How exactly to these function with a standard chest freezer or fridge.

You plug the freezer or fridge cord into the controller and plug the controller into the wall. The controller turns the electricity to the freezer/fridge on and off as needed. You can also add a heater to the mix if the freezer/fridge is in an unheated location in a cold environment. It is probably better to leave the heater out of the mix if the freezer is indoors.

It is rarely necessary to actually bypass a freezer or fridge thermostat, particularly on non-digital units.
Just set the oem thermostats to their coldest setting and let the external controller switch the line cord...

Cheers!

The inkbird is the same price, and they help support this forum,

why would you not go with them?? do you not like homebrewtalk.com???

Back