Technique During the Boil on Extract Brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StLouBrew

Reaction score
I'm really interested to learn how closely others tend their kettle and how much fooling around with it they do during the boil on extract brews. I ask this because I typically find myelf overing over the kettle like a mother hen. I try to keep it partially covered with lid to minimize evaporation, but not fully covered, because I don't want to risk a boil over.

Also, even after I've stirred in the DME/LME (depending on what all the recipe calls for) I tend to still stir on occasion throughout the boil. My quesion is: The tinkering with the lid, the stirring throughout... Is all this necessary??

Thanks!

I don't do much to the pot at all while it's boiling. I just stir occasionally to make sure the hops aren't stuck to the sides. I don't put the DME in till the very end though. When I'm Steeping grains though I check the temp regularly. But that's about it.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Home Brew mobile app

I only keep an eye on it for the first 15 minutes or so to ensure there's no boil over.

I watch movies and sit close - don't cover the pot if you can help it. nasty stuff will drip back in. I used one of those mesh/grease things you put over fry pans - you WANT evaporation as it carry's away nasty bits. Don't worry about losing liquid as you can just add water at the end.

I stir when I add DME or LME but only once - a good boil keeps everything moving.

I watch movies and sit close - don't cover the pot if you can help it. nasty stuff will drip back in. I used one of those mesh/grease things you put over fry pans - you WANT evaporation as it carry's away nasty bits. Don't worry about losing liquid as you can just add water at the end.

I stir when I add DME or LME but only once - a good boil keeps everything moving.

The reason I've been trying to minimize the evaporation is that I start (and try to stay with) a single 5 gal container of bottled water. And I'm curious, what sort of nasty stuff could be dripping back in other than water vapor?

Thanks!

The boil carries off stuff like DMS (Dimethyl sulfide) which causes a cream corn/cooked corn flavor. Don't cover it.

I read that DMS isn't much of a concern with extract brews as it has already been driven off during the process of making the malt extract. Any truth to this?

I stay at my kettle mainly because it is partially covered. I have it partially covered so I can reduce the burner temperature and still keep a rolling boil. When droplets of condensation form on the inside of the lid I wipe to avoid the DMS precursors from dripping back into the kettle.

I also keep the range hood wiped so condensation from the hood does not drip into the kettle.

I stir often.

I also stay near the kettle so I don't get distracted and lose track of the timing for additions.

I have a way of brewing that is very relaxing. I get lawn chairs and put em around the pot and drink previous home brews (or whatever I have) while me and the wife sit and talk and hang out. I set an audible alarm for my hop additions (or any other additions) so if I forget, the rooster reminds me. The rooster is the alarm sound btw. Biggest part about brewing is low stress and don't rush. You'll taste the style in your beer too.

But to answer the question, I stir my hops in, and manage heat. Other than that I give a little stir here and there. But no covering, and no mother hen hovering.

just done add extract with the heat on, been there, done that itll burn to the bottom and bugger the brew!

not to hijack this thread but with extract i believe the only difference in when to add it is the color of the beer your looking for... or does more carmelization change flavor to?

I keep an eye on it during the boil but don't fiddle with it. When I add my hops I have them in bags so they just got dropped in and I push them under the surface w a spoon to soak them then leave 'em alone as the rolling boil will keep everything moving around, as said earlier. The only time I really stir is when I add my extract. I'll remove the pot from the heat and add the extract while an assistant stirs like a madman to keep it from sticking to the bottom of the pot and scorching.

Latest posts

Back