Tech questions for All Grain Switchover

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cutarecord

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Getting all of my "ducks in a row" to convert to All-Grain. I have been using BeerSmith for all of my batches but now that I'm going to All-Grain i just want to make sure im not cutting any corners. I really want to understand every aspect of my Brew Day.

I need a few pointers with my equipment and software. I'm trying to create an equipment profile for my brew kettle and set up. BeerSmith asks the Brewhouse efficiency when trying to setup a new brew kettle. Currently, I'm using a 40 QT stainless kettle. I've studied all the variables involved. HOWEVER, they way i see it, there is no way to calculate my Efficiency before i go all grain and execute a batch... is this right? How do i figure the efficiency of my pot while I'm still doing partial extract?

Additional information needed:
advice on calculating what my boil-off is durring the wort boil

how to estimate loss in fermenter (trub and whatnot)

any additional loss of my partial extract process and where i can expect loss in my all grain setup

The only way I know to asses your brewhouse efficiency is to brew a couple of batches and compare your results to what your software or calculations predict.

Your boil-off rate and loss in the fermenter will be the same as it is currently for partial mash.

You will lose some water in the mash. I usually lose around 1/2 gal. including what is at the bottom of the mash tun and what is left in the grains.

I would use the numbers from one of the similar default setups until you have enough batches to confirm.

you should be close and can adjust on the fly as needed with water and dme.

I hope I can help you a bit because going all grain is SO confusing when your new to it and doing it by yourself! Efficiency is how much sugar your getting out of your grain compared to how much sugar you could get out of that same grain. No one gets 100% efficiency, few get in the 90% range. You wont know what your getting on you setup until you brew on it. To make it a bit harder you wont get the same efficiency every time you brew. Now, once you develop a close relationship with your setup and how YOU use it you'll get an understanding of your efficiency and be comfortable with that. You still want to check it every time so your sure with every brew. So while your doing extract, you cant.. As far as boil off, lots of us like to start with say 8gal and end up with 6.5. They way I do it is with a 90 min boil. In the last 15 min of boil time I top up to 6.5g with hot water. This way I know I have the right batch amount. 6.5g gives you enough to know you will end up with a 5.5g+ size in the bottle bucket. Don't forget to adjust your calc to a 6.5gal batch. You don't have to follow what I say to a T and I hope some others have some good advice as well. But I hope this helps a bit! :mug: and i forgot to add. I think most new to all grain should build a recipe around 65%-70% and the check to see what they are getting.

Latest posts

Back