Specialty Wood-Aged Beer Tattooed Mango Pirate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pwortiz

Strong Hand Brewing Co.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP 060
Yeast Starter
1.5L
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
1 tbsp of yeast nutrient
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
1.080-1.086
Final Gravity
1.010-1.014
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
12.2(?)
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 @ 68
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7-10 @ 68
Tasting Notes
A mixed blend of Mango, Citrus dark rum, oak, cinnamon and vanilla
I swear this is a bit darker than 12.2 but I used the calculator. Also, credit where it's due - the original version of this beer posted by j1laskey is located here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f74/partial-pirate-strong-ale-318340/

This version is different enough to stand on its own, I think...pirate wars have ensued betwixt the people that have had both and chosen one o'er the other ;)

First Step! Soak Hungarian oak chips/shavings http://brewgadgets.com/p-798-hungarian-oak-shavings.aspx in Captain Morgan Tattoo Rum (on Brew Day) – they will soak for the entire 3 week primary fermentation. Side note, I have found this is the only use for this rum....ever.

Ingredients
0.5 lb Weyermann CaraAroma®; Weyermann (I used Crystal 120 before...but I am convinced it's way different and will not sub in the future if I can avoid it.)
1 lb Torrified Wheat
14 lbs American 2-row
1 lbs Light Brown Sugar
0.5 oz Galena boiled 60 min.
1 oz Citra™ boiled 5 min.
1 ea. Cinnamon (stick) (15 min boil)
2 Ripe Mangoes sliced up (fresh) (15 min boil)
1 tbsp. Yeast Nutrient (AKA Fermax) (15 min boil)
4 oz. Oak Wood Chips soaked in Cap’t Morgan Tattoo Dark Rum (French Oak secondary)
2 ea. Vanilla (whole bean) (Secondary) use grade B “extract” beans if you can
Yeast : White Labs WLP060 American Ale Yeast Blend

Brewday
Start the soaking of the oak chips in the rum
Mash grains @ 154-156 for 60 mins. Use your preferred method to sparge; I try to fly sparge over the course of an hour; still working on that technique.

Add Light Brown Sugar to kettle while sparging; I find that it helps it dissolve during the process

Follow addition times for hops, mango, cinnamon, etc, above.

Cool wort to 70 degrees, add H2O for final volume of 5 gallons if needed. Aerate, and pitch yeast

Ferment @ ~65 - 68 degrees for 3 weeks.

Secondary: Add Hungarian oak chips that have been soaked in Cap’t Morgan Tattoo Dark Rum. Add 2 vanilla beans that have been cut open lengthwise exposing the inner seeds. **I have made this many times and I don’t bother with transferring any more. I simply pop open my bucket and chuck in the sanitized vanilla beans (basically cut open, dipped in star-san) and sanitized nylon bag with oak chips. DO NOT PUT THE RUM IN THE BEER. Save it for another recipe/soaking.

Bottle/Keg After 7-10 of secondary transfer to bottles or keg. I like the level of vanilla in this beer but understand if it may be overpowering for others. If so, cut it to a single bean.

I love it and have made it multiple times. The vanilla should be done according to your tastes but this is one of my favorite recipes.

Latest posts

Back