Tasted my first brew.. Couple of Q's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PIZ

Reaction score
Well I opened a bottle of my first homebrew tonight after 4 weeks of fermentation and 3 weeks of being in the bottle. It was an extract Coopers Continental Pilsner Kit. So I opened the bottle, got the fizz of carbonation. I poured it in a glass and there is pretty much no head. The head only appears initially as pouring but quickly disappears and leaves no legs. Any suggestions on what might cause this?

It also tastes different than what I expected. I thought it would be a somewhat light beer but it has a spicy flavor and it's a little sweet. Maybe someone else here has tried this kit out also and could give me a comparison.

The beer needs more time in the bottle to carb up. This happens sometimes due to yeast health, alcohol content, temp, etc.. Make sure they are around 70 degrees.

Your beer might have finished high causing it to taste sweet.

Once carb levels go up, the beer will seem a bit less sweet due to something called carbonic bite. This is why flat soda tastes overly sweet.

Pez.

Back