Tasted my first AG batch tonight :)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsdx

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Biermuncher's Ode to Arthur... I get the feeling my efficiency was not stellar because I got less ending volume than I expected after I topped off my boil pot to meet the expected OG 1.044, but I'm okay with that for the first try. My recipe was for 6g so if my efficiency was bad it would just come out with less beer that is possibly hoppier. I also only mashed for 30 minutes because I'm a noob at this and some of the mash liquid seemed to pass the iodine test with flying colors (I should have waited longer). I'm not real sure on my mash temp because I had a thermometer malfunction and difficulty reading it anyway, it was not consistent.

Boy oh boy does this taste malty/bready, I've never had such a deliciously malty/bready tasting beer in my life, I love it. Had to take a second sample. What a nice reward for staying up late to clean some kegs. Is that most likely from my short mash? The FG was 1.014. This might resemble Guinness more if it was cold, but ignoring the comparison I love the taste. Was too overwhelmed by how malty it tasted to give it much analytic thought. It tasted more like pale malt I guess, not like roasted barley. The second batch I made, I mashed for an hour, have not tasted that yet.

The first batch is still in the primary pail, I used a yeast starter, fermented low at 62 in a water bath, raised it up to 70ish when it slowed down, left it that way for around two weeks, let it fall to basement temp for a week or so. Its been 33 days since I brewed it. This was the first time I've used a yeast starter but not the first time for temp control. Stoked.

If it passed the iodine test, then you mashed it for long enough. A lot of breweries, including Rogue and Redhook, mash for less than 60 mins.

All grain dominates, mine and most people's first batch had low effeciency too. The fix for me was easy; do a better job of stirring the mash, and better stirring when adding the 2nd load of sparge water.

I think the maltyness is because if if you're used to extract and commercial brews, this has 2 advantages: it's all grain and it's fresh.... just wait till it's all carbonated :D

That's cool. I did my first AG back in March. The difference is unmistakable. Not to say that there aren't good extract brews out there, but you have soooooo much more control over the final product, and it is like fresh ground coffee vs canned. Nuf said.

Back