Taste of primary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lbaker

Reaction score
Hey guys, just wrapped up my first batch and after 10 days in the primary I thought id taste while getting a FG reading.I made a 3Floyds Gumballhead clone and the first taste was different than what I was expecting. The beer has a strong alcohol taste and is very sour, not the tasty wheat I was expecting. Any thoughts or is this normal?

Don't lose all hope yet, it may yet turn the corner and/or taste differently when the yeast drops out and the beer is cold and carbonated. Depending on your fermentation temperature, you could raise it a few degrees to encourage the yeast to clean up after themselves.

Not enough information here to really help you, but the solution is probably the same as it is for every other beginner on here: just wait. 10 days is nothing, come back in a couple of weeks and taste it then. If it doesn't taste good, just wait it out. With enough time, even bad beers will morph into drinkable ones.

Hey guys, just wrapped up my first batch and after 10 days in the primary I thought id taste while getting a FG reading.I made a 3Floyds Gumballhead clone and the first taste was different than what I was expecting. The beer has a strong alcohol taste and is very sour, not the tasty wheat I was expecting. Any thoughts or is this normal?

Brew another batch to keep your mind off this one while you practice the zen art of patience. :-D

lol, noted. Thanks guys, I think I would be able to breathe better if this beer wasnt on a schedule. Wanted to have it ready for a May 7th graduation party and I'm trying to move this guy along accordingly. It's going to be tricky but today is the 13th day in primary, trying to schedule so i have enough time to dry hop with an additional 2oz of Amarillo hops and then move it to the corny for keg-readiness.

Yeah I made the mistake of trying my first beer a couple weeks ago on day 2 or 3 of fermentation. Ill never do that again. Lol after a week it tasted alot better but the alcohol taste was kinda hot. Buy i kknow itit will taste good so just wait it out.

Give it at least another week, then taste it again. More than likely you will still have time to dry hop for 5-7 days and then quickly force carbonate it.

anyone have a preference on the keg carbing? I've seen some great posts on here debating the quick carbing (30, shake, etc) and letting it carb for a week at more stable pressures...anyone have advice knowing that im working with a time frame and have 17 days to get this puppy up to speed?

I like to chill the beer down, swap the in/out posts so that I'm sending CO2 down the dip tub, set the pressure to 30 or so and pressurize the keg. Then I disconnect and shake the keg for a minute or two. Repeat 4-5 times. Then I'll set the pressure and leave it overnight. Usually it's fully carbonated or at least close by the next day.

Do you feel there's a significant difference in 6 days compared to 1 force carbing? I guess it's going to come down to me making a decision to give the beer more time clearing in the 2nd or conditioning in the keg...

RDWHAHB

If it's not ready by May 7, you might just have to have a second party.
If you rush it, even if it tastes good on 5/7, you'll kick yourself when it tastes better on 5/14 or 5/21.

Looking forward to hearing how this works out. I've got a modified Gumballhead clone in the primary right now. I made some substitutions of amarillo for cascade on the aroma and dry hops.

I'm leaving mine in primary until day 10. Going to take a hydrometer reading at day 7 and 10 to confirm its done fermenting. Smells of oranges at the moment three days in, with a bubble every 4 seconds, starting 12 hours in.

Hoppus_Poppatopolis said:
If it's not ready by May 7, you might just have to have a second party.
If you rush it, even if it tastes good on 5/7, you'll kick yourself when it tastes better on 5/14 or 5/21.

I'm really hoping that 15 days in the primary, 7 in secondary and 7 carbing are enough to bring out the greatness of this beer. Very good reviews of this clone, but no one ever keeps track of how long they did each! I'm going to just order a keg of Oberon for the guests and if mine isn't ready we'll party in June!

ettbeer said:
it is a wheat beer right? I've always heard wheat beers are best when consumed young...

Yes its a wheat that has been " aggressively hopped with Amarillo hops"

Any updates on the progress?

I have two beers conditioning for my graduation party. I have a DIPA and a Belgian Wit. I have tried the DIPA after 3 weeks in the bottle and it is simply sublime. The belgian has been in for a week and am crossing my fingers itll turn out.

My first beer was an Imperial Pale Ale. Like everyone I was in a hurry to get it on tap, so I let it set for the minimum, as soon as I had 3 days of consistent sg readings it went into the keg. After 1 week, it was carbed to the point it would pour a decent beer. It was good, and I was proud of my work. Every day I'd come home and pour myself one of my 'homebrews" The keg lasted about 3 weeks, and wouldn't you know for the last 3 or 4 beers it was great! In otherwords it was gone by the time I let it age correctly. To be perfectly honest with you I'm getting better, but not much. Even with one in the primary, and one in the secondary and 2 in the kegs I'm still in a hurry to pour one. ;)

Thanks for coming back and checking for updates! I transferred to secondary Saturday and added the last oz of Amarillo hops for the dry hop. I resisted dunking the thief and snatching a drink, but I have to say it did smell alot better. I think this weekend in going to sneak a taste and make the decision to sit another week in secondary before kegging. At this point I dont want to rush it an unveil a carbonated green beer...so I'm going to bite my lip and order a keg of Oberon to quench the masses. I will post an update Saturday on taste.

Yes, sour taste in green yeasty beer is quite common. If it is at FG just let it sit another week or so then bottle or keg and let it condition for a coupe of weeks then chill it way down and try one and see how it tastes then.

Back