Tasman Red IPA not quite clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rednekhippiemotrcyclfreak

Reaction score
After trying this beer today I looked at trying to develop a clone recipe. I immediately ran into problems sourcing Harrington, Metcalfe, and Copeland malts and Topaz and Galaxy hops. So I went with more readily available ingredients and came up with this recipe. Comments/suggestions welcome.

13 lb 2 row pale
1 lb caramel/crystal 60
1 pound Special B Malt (180 SRM)
3 oz Roasted Barley (300 SRM)
1.5 oz Chinook hops 60 min
1 oz Willamette 10 min
1 oz Willamette 0 min
1 oz Amarillo dry hop 3 days
Wyeast 1332 Northwest Ale yeast

mash at 152 for 60 minutes, 90 minute boil.

OG 1.070
FG 1.019
IBU's 53.6
est ABV 6.7
SRM 22.3

The little I know about this beer came from drinking one bottle and reading the actual ABV of 6.75% and the ingredients (in unspecified amounts) on the bottle label. Sam Adams calls this a Red IPA but it is darker than the range for reds in Beersmith and while the hops are noticeable in taste and smell, I wouldn't put it in the IPA category. I would call it a hoppy dark red.

That is definitely not going to be red, it's going to be fairly dark brown, bordering on brown porter territory. I also get radically different numbers - 1.081 og and 24 srm with that grain bill. If you want something actually red with those ingredients, you could cut the 60L back to half a pound, the special b to 6 ounces, and the roasted barley back to 2 ounces.

That is definitely not going to be red, it's going to be fairly dark brown, bordering on brown porter territory. I also get radically different numbers - 1.081 og and 24 srm with that grain bill. If you want something actually red with those ingredients, you could cut the 60L back to half a pound, the special b to 6 ounces, and the roasted barley back to 2 ounces.

Thanks for the recipe critique. I know the color is somewhat out of bounds, but, I was going by the color depicted in the glass in Beersmith 2.0. The OG was derived from 72% efficiency, which is actually high from my norm of 65%. If I cut the amounts as you suggest, I end up with an OG of 1.060 and a little less than 16 SRM, which seems a little pale for what I saw in the actual Tasman I drank. This is typical for the reds or ambers that I have actually enjoyed. Most seem to bump or bust the style guideline limit for SRM color (11 - 18 SRM), and while apparently darker than the suggested range, they still seem to be reddish, and not brownish. The dark ruby red of Sweetwater Dank Tank Fresh Sticky Nugs is a good example of this. I guess I need to just brew it (as long as it's not obviously nasty), and see what happens.

BeerLogic said:

+1

I am fermenting a Tocobaga red ale clone attempt and I used less than 1 pound total crystal and 2 oz roasted barley and it's murky brown in the bucket. The hydro sample had a Killians red color. I want it to brighten up more.

After doing some research (i.e. finding a picture of a pour), I've come to the conclusion that it is Sam Adams and not your recipe that is at fault. That is definitively not a red ale and shouldn't be so called.

I haven't tried it yet, but as the title of the thread suggests, this probably won't be a clone. It's more like an "inspired by" recipe. I will update when I get there though.

After doing some research (i.e. finding a picture of a pour), I've come to the conclusion that it is Sam Adams and not your recipe that is at fault. That is definitively not a red ale and shouldn't be so called.

Lol, that's dumb. Lots of red ales aren't crayola red. They are still red though. If Sam Adams is at fault, so is Bear Republic, Smithwick's, St Rogue, and even Green Flash's hop head red is pretty dark.

My irish red was more a little brownish. I think there is a trick to getting it red , i cant remember what it was but maybe some dark roasted malt that you only add shortly to the mash? Ive read about it before but forgot. I was sligtly disapointed by the color of my irishred but it shure tasted like a red,and it was based on irish red recipes. Recipe seems like a lot of special b,but i havent use it that much also. I probably wouldnt hesitate to brew it though. Anybody else think that these SA small batch bomber series beers have a kinda salty taste?, i got that with all of them.

Latest posts

Back