Target OG for Edwort's Apfelwein?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It really depends on the yeast you used. If you used an ale yeast, your target OG may be around 1.013? If you used a wine yeast such as Montrachet, your Target OG will probably be lower than that 1.005?

The yeast I used was Safale S-04, but these look more like final gravities than starting gravities. My batch had an original gravity of 1.066 @ 60*F, which I'm sure is fine but I was wondering what OG Edwort or others who regularly brewed this tended to shoot for.

Since there is so much variation in the amount of available fermentable sugars in commercial juices and the recipe calls for additional sugar anyway, I thought if I had a target OG, then I could adjust the must(?) accordingly with more dextrose or juice concentrate as needed.

I'm sure this batch will be fine, I would just like to know for future attempts.

Thanks for the gravities though, it's good to have an idea of about where it will be when it finishes fermenting, I guess this one will be a little on the semi-dry side with the ale yeast.

Thanks for the help, happy brewing!

It really depends on the yeast you used. If you used an ale yeast, your target OG may be around 1.013? If you used a wine yeast such as Montrachet, your Target OG will probably be lower than that 1.005?

Point of order...

OP said OG (original gravity) but what you are calling OG is actually FG (final gravity).

carry on...

Point of order...

OP said OG (original gravity) but what you are calling OG is actually FG (final gravity).

carry on...

Is that what OG means? lol, J/K, but I did misread the OP. Yeah, I believe OG for the recipe as Edwort designed it, is around 1.060? So with your ale yeast, you'll be getting around a 6% cider.

Is that what OG means? lol, J/K, but I did misread the OP. Yeah, I believe OG for the recipe as Edwort designed it, is around 1.060? So with your ale yeast, you'll be getting around a 6% cider.

Yes, I know you knew - my clarification was for the original poster.

Back