Taplist.IO Free Digital Web Based Tap List

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now I just need a cheap TV and Fire Stick lol Are there any requirements for the TV for it to work the best?

None that I know of, aside from something capable of 1080p HD, with an HDMI input. As with any "static" video content, check your monitor's recommendations about burn-in, it's a problem with some much older generation sets. I think some folks have been happy with surplus / bargain basement panels. Of course YMMV!

Stumped (for the moment) on the blurry text issues, but I suspect it might be a case of 720p vs 1080p. Although there are certainly other explanations. I'm going to add some instrumentation so screen resolution is reported back, that's a good thing to pop into the dashboard anyway..

Interesting, it may just be that the TV is a bit too old to display the taplist.io interface then? Everything else on the FireTV displays pretty crisp and clear though. It's not a deal-killer, just something that looks kind of odd.

Thanks for the reply!

Interesting, it may just be that the TV is a bit too old to display the taplist.io interface then? Everything else on the FireTV displays pretty crisp and clear though.

Yeah, I'm guessing the fonts are just a tad too small. I think what I'll do is add a setting to override the zoom level, and let you play with that. So if everything looks great at font size = 120%, then maybe we can just make that the theme default. Rapid testing FTW!

Yeah, I'm guessing the fonts are just a tad too small. I think what I'll do is add a setting to override the zoom level, and let you play with that. So if everything looks great at font size = 120%, then maybe we can just make that the theme default. Rapid testing FTW!

That would be neat to play with too, let me know when you implement that and I'll try it out!

Would this be only for the FireStick or just a general dashboard function? I ask because on my ~16" monitor displaying web-based I use chrome, fullscreen 125% zoom on griddy and 150% zoom on Jumbo (i think) helps balance the largest possible label art while still getting all the text on the screen, being able to adjust text size may help w/ those type of fits :mug:

Would this be only for the FireStick or just a general dashboard function? I ask because on my ~16" monitor displaying web-based I use chrome, fullscreen 125% zoom on griddy and 150% zoom on Jumbo (i think) helps balance the largest possible label art while still getting all the text on the screen, being able to adjust text size may help w/ those type of fits :mug:

General function; you'll be able to override the zoom level globally, like you can do with font size and color right now.

General function; you'll be able to override the zoom level globally, like you can do with font size and color right now.

images

Great idea. Love this. Been tossing the idea of doing an Rpi for years. No more. Just getting things setup today though; https://taplist.io/the-damm-brewery/ and still tweaking.

I did think of something though. I originally signed up without thinking about my dual keezer/kegerator setup. I currently have 5 taps in the house and 4 in the garage. Wondering if there is an easy way to get two boards going on one account? Or if I would be best to setup another account and just have two to manage? Also, with the latter option, is there a way to change the .io weblink to reflect something different? i.e. https://taplist.io/the-damm-brewery/house or https://taplist.io/the-damm-brewery/garage? That way it would be easier to manage if two "boards" could be on one account.

Hope that makes sense. Either way, thanks for this. It's very cool!

Great idea. Love this. Been tossing the idea of doing an Rpi for years. No more. Just getting things setup today though; https://taplist.io/the-damm-brewery/ and still tweaking.

Nice looking list, thanks for sharing! I still need to put a gallery of examples together, hope you won't mind me adding yours

I did think of something though. I originally signed up without thinking about my dual keezer/kegerator setup. I currently have 5 taps in the house and 4 in the garage. Wondering if there is an easy way to get two boards going on one account? Or if I would be best to setup another account and just have two to manage? Also, with the latter option, is there a way to change the .io weblink to reflect something different? i.e. https://taplist.io/the-damm-brewery/house or https://taplist.io/the-damm-brewery/garage? That way it would be easier to manage if two "boards" could be on one account.

Yes, in fact there's a way to do this:

You can link multiple displays, for example if you have two RPis or two Fire sticks, they'll both show up under the "Displays" tab, where you can change their names and manage their settings. By default each display shows all taps, but you can simply modify each display's taps in settings. So display 1 = taps 1-4, display 2 = tap 5.

What you see just browsing to your site on the web is a special additional "unlisted" display of sorts: the "default" display. It shows all taps right now, and there is not a good way to change that.

Done! Check 'er out at the top of the dashboard, or just visit forum.taplist.io. I added some categories for feature requests and for uploading build / list photos, will see how it goes!

(Not that I mind chatting here, of course!)

Very nice forum implementation! In fact, your whole website is incredibly polished. Kudos! Your FireTV App will probably push me over the edge to setting up the digital taplist.

Where is the PayPal Donate link?

Nice looking list, thanks for sharing! I still need to put a gallery of examples together, hope you won't mind me adding yours

I would be honored. Plus it will encourage me to "keep it current" :)

Yes, in fact there's a way to do this:

You can link multiple displays, for example if you have two RPis or two Fire sticks, they'll both show up under the "Displays" tab, where you can change their names and manage their settings. By default each display shows all taps, but you can simply modify each display's taps in settings. So display 1 = taps 1-4, display 2 = tap 5.

What you see just browsing to your site on the web is a special additional "unlisted" display of sorts: the "default" display. It shows all taps right now, and there is not a good way to change that.

Thanks, I was hoping it would that simple. Now I just need to get another Fire TV stick.

One other question I thought of too; How do I move kegs from On Tap to Available or Kicked? I am not seeing the option.

Very nice forum implementation! In fact, your whole website is incredibly polished. Kudos! Your FireTV App will probably push me over the edge to setting up the digital taplist.

Thanks! I'm a software engineer by trade, this stuff is a fun way for me to scratch particular itches that I don't get to in my "real job" :)

The forum is powered by Discourse, I've used quite a few over the years on different projects & it's by far the best designed forum software I've seen.

Where is the PayPal Donate link?

Hah! That's kind of you to ask. Right now no plans, although my dream — not sure if it'll be possible — is to build paid commercial interest sufficient for supporting "free mode" for homebrewers / folks like us.

On one hand, from research I believe bars and restaurants, small businesses in general, can be difficult to reach and convert to customers. On the other hand, this market is also quite starved for good software (have you seen some of the beer boards and point of sale systems out there?!), so my gut is there's a niche. I'd frankly be delighted to cover costs; but these aren't significant right now so I'm giving it some time.

cheers!

One other question I thought of too; How do I move kegs from On Tap to Available or Kicked? I am not seeing the option.

So, clicking "end this keg" moves it to "Kicked". Erm, there's not actually a good way to move it back to available. This, plus support for "on deck" kegs, is coming Real Soon Now.

So, clicking "end this keg" moves it to "Kicked". Erm, there's not actually a good way to move it back to available. This, plus support for "on deck" kegs, is coming Real Soon Now.

Kicking ass and taking names Kegbot!!! This is great stuff!

Any chance you were able to implement this? I've got the FireTV all setup and will be setting up my Raspberry Pi tomorrow as a display as well to fiddle around with. (Now that I don't need it for Raspberry Pints.)

Also, if you need anything tested just let me know. I'm a Network Admin and have a bit of technical knowledge (although I'm not a developer) so I'm willing to lend a hand where I am able to. :tank:

Very pleased with all of your effort on this! I installed a fresh OS on the extra RPi and got it up and running in less than an hour.

https://taplist.io/harvest-brewing/

I'm looking forward to having a few more options available (i.e. themes, customization) so I can get it dialed in perfect for the tasting room...err garage. :mug:

Again, great work!

Any chance you were able to implement this? I've got the FireTV all setup and will be setting up my Raspberry Pi tomorrow as a display as well to fiddle around with. (Now that I don't need it for Raspberry Pints.)

Unfortunately I ran into some simple but annoying problems & didn't get this finished. Will have a lot more time this weekend, so stay tuned (I'll probably announce smaller stuff in the forum / in the app).

Also, if you need anything tested just let me know. I'm a Network Admin and have a bit of technical knowledge (although I'm not a developer) so I'm willing to lend a hand where I am able to. :tank:

Awesome! Right now I expect some bumps as I push some theme changes out the door, so feedback and more eyes help a ton.

Unfortunately I ran into some simple but annoying problems & didn't get this finished. Will have a lot more time this weekend, so stay tuned (I'll probably announce smaller stuff in the forum / in the app).

Awesome! Right now I expect some bumps as I push some theme changes out the door, so feedback and more eyes help a ton.

Sounds good, I just got the PI configured as a display so I am at your disposal.

As someone who's programming experience only goes as far as really complicated Excel formulas, a couple rudimentary macros and some moderately advanced SharePoint workflows it's awesome to watch this project advance in real time.

So after setting up a FireTV Stick and RPI2B as a display, I decided to setup an old windows laptop with a busted keyboard as a display. I have a lot of old PC's lying around and figured this might be a good option for out in the garage (away from the basement bar & main kegerator) or something similar in the future. This is a great way to run Taplist.io if you don't have a FireTV Stick or RPI , but you have a slew of old PC's sitting around. Here is how I did it.

1. I setup a fresh install of Windows 7 with the user set to autologin. If you don't know how to do this please follow the instructions in this link.

2. Next you need to grab the latest version of 32-bit Chromium for windows from here. (Make sure you grab the 32-bit .zip!) And unzip it to C:\Program Files (x86)\. This way the path to chrome.exe reads C:\Program Files (x86)\chrome-win32\chrome.exe.

3. Next we need to create a batch file to start Chromium. Open notepad (Start -> Search Box -> "notepad.exe") and place the following text inside.

Code:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\chrome-win32\chrome.exe" --noerrdialogs --disable-session-crashed-bubble --disable-infobars --kiosk https://www.taplist.io/display

Then go to File -> Save As, and navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\chrome-win32, in the File name: box type "taplist.io.bat" and change the Save as type: to All Files.

Note: You may get some UAC or Administrative Permission prompts. Please accept these to continue saving this file where you want. It's also a good idea to navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\chrome-win32 to ensure that taplist.io.bat is saved there.

4. Now we want to run the .bat file to test it. Using Windows Explorer navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\chrome-win32 and double-click taplist.io.bat. This should launch the Chromium browser and give you the pairing window for Taplist.io. Please follow the instructions to pair your display the first time.

5. You may notice that there are some popup windows that display, pressing the ESC key got rid of those for good on my end. There may also be a scrollbar on the side if you have a lot of taps displayed, press and hold the CTRL key and the + or - key to get the display zoomed in/out to where you want it. Once you have the zoom set it will stay that way. If you would like to now close Chromium you can do so with the key combination CTRL+Shift+Q.

6. If you would like to auto-start Chromium you can do so by placing a shortcut to this .bat file in the startup folder for your user. Simply Right-Click the taplist.io.bat file and select Create Shortcut from the menu. Then Right-Click on that shortcut and choose Cut from the menu. Now navigate to the following path using Windows Explorer C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup. (The easiest way to do this is to open an explorer window and copy/paste the above path in to the title bar.) Then Right-Click on an empty space in that folder and select Paste.

7. That's it! Restart the computer and Taplist.io should launch on startup! Again please note that this is not supported by Taplist.io. If you have any trouble following my instructions please let me know and I'll attempt to clarify them and help you along with setting up your PC.

:tank:

scrollbar_100.jpg

scrollbar_67.jpg

For those interested in a Raspberry Pi setup, I set it up using the FullPageOS distribution (https://github.com/guysoft/FullPageOS) to display a single webpage in full screen. Downloaded http://docstech.net/FullPageOS/2016-07-20_2016-05-27-fullpageos-jessie-lite-0.7.0.zip, unziped, burned image to SD card, remounted SD card on PC, modified the URL in fullpageos.txt to "https://www.taplist.io/display", ejected SD card, mounted SD card in to rpi, plugged rpi into the network and powered it up. Booted right up to the activate screen.
You can also edit the fullpageos-network.txt file to setup your wifi access if your not plugging directly into the network.

For those interested in a Raspberry Pi setup, I set it up using the FullPageOS distribution (https://github.com/guysoft/FullPageOS) to display a single webpage in full screen. Downloaded http://docstech.net/FullPageOS/2016-07-20_2016-05-27-fullpageos-jessie-lite-0.7.0.zip, unziped, burned image to SD card, remounted SD card on PC, modified the URL in fullpageos.txt to "https://www.taplist.io/display", ejected SD card, mounted SD card in to rpi, plugged rpi into the network and powered it up. Booted right up to the activate screen.
You can also edit the fullpageos-network.txt file to setup your wifi access if your not plugging directly into the network.

I had no idea that a distro like that even existed, very cool! :tank:

Some new stuff:

"On deck" keg management is easier now, & will optionally show up on your tap list (configurable as a setting):

enHhnWT.png

There's now an activity stream, for adding and removing kegs. Might be able to link this to Twitter (or whatever) in the future:

NP4TZmm.png

Not screenshottable, but have also made a bunch of small improvements - thanks to all the intrepid homebrewers who have been giving feedback!

I got my pi setup as a display for this. I've got 4 taps setup and working. It's awesome!! Huge fan so far. When do you plan to allow more taps? I'd like to expand to 8.

Also, for feature requests.... What about a visual indicator for nitro beers? A check box when tapping. Sometimes I have the same beer on twice on both co2 and nitro or one time I'll tap on nitro and the next on co2.

Awesome work Kegbot!!!!

Sandy, I have 8 taps running on it currently. You shouldn't have any issues adding more taps, let me know if you need any assistance!

I got my pi setup as a display for this. I've got 4 taps setup and working. It's awesome!! Huge fan so far. When do you plan to allow more taps? I'd like to expand to 8.

Sorry about the tap limitation, that's now removed!

Also, for feature requests.... What about a visual indicator for nitro beers? A check box when tapping. Sometimes I have the same beer on twice on both co2 and nitro or one time I'll tap on nitro and the next on co2.

Hmm, not a bad idea. Maybe some sort of general way to show labels about kegs would have other uses too. As a short term fix, you could clone the beverage type and just have a "nitro" version — may not ideal, of course..

thanks for the feedback!
mikey

I have used both and I find Taplist.IO to be better as well. You can input information however you like in Taplist. Rpints forced you to use SG, instead of plato, and would only calculate ABV based on SG. You couldn't enter your own ABV. There were some other issues like that that I had with it.

Overall I think Taplist.IO is far more flexible. It was WAY easier to setup. I had it up and running on my raspberrypi in minutes. The backend is easy to configure from virtually any device. Definitely a fan of TapList. I would be happy to see a "premium" tier of some sort so that the dev could get some ROI on his investment. Maybe include some custom branding and removal of Taplist branding. I could definitely see this as useful for commercial tap rooms. Being able to control individual displays from the same backend with very minimal hardware (just a rpi or firetv) per display. Pretty awesome.

Just out of interest, compared to Taplist.IO, what did you find limiting with RaspberryPints?

Cheers!

The first thing my brewing sidekick pointed out was that it was lacking the ability to select a specific color for the beer. She made a beer with blackberry that came out neon purple and that option was not available in pints. That seemed to be the breaking point for her.

Any chance you're going to add support for volume tracking / display? Even something as simple as a "button" to push to manually track dispensing would be great.

Hehe - Never meant to start a holy war, but since we're on the subject: not only does Taplist.io compare with Rpints, but it also "competes" with my other project, Kegbot. Which has been around almost as long as HBT itself!

So I expressly took some of the lessons and problems I've seen with both Kegbot and Rpints and designed Taplist.io around them: simplicity over openness, to be sure. I know day_trippr and others pour a bunch of blood sweat and tears into Rpints, but they really do serve very different interests, so its sort of an apples and oranges comparison, imo. (I'm certainly very grateful for the kind words & validation, tho!)

The first thing my brewing sidekick pointed out was that it was lacking the ability to select a specific color for the beer. She made a beer with blackberry that came out neon purple and that option was not available in pints. That seemed to be the breaking point for her.

Funny you should mention, I spent probably an inordinate amount of time on getting this feature "right" in taplist.io. Here's how: I have no artistic talent, so I found someone who does, on elance, and paid a few hundred bucks to get nice layered keg illustrations drawn. Then I wrote some support for changing the middle layer - the keg "fluid" - to an arbitrary color, and finally wrote an endpoint to merge & serve the whole image up as a nice single transparent PNG.

If you customize the keg srm, it'll use the equivalent color in hex (thanks homebrewtalk), you can also override it to anything you want, sometimes with funny results..

Any chance you're going to add support for volume tracking / display? Even something as simple as a "button" to push to manually track dispensing would be great.

Yeah! To be honest the only reason it isn't exposed is because I'd porbably start going crazy with hardware & flow meter support :). Under the hood, each keg you tap has the concept of a volume, there's just no public api to change it right now. That just came up recently in a discussion on the topic. Long story short, expect this to be opened up soon, I'd love to see what folks do with it!

I would be happy to see a "premium" tier of some sort so that the dev could get some ROI on his investment. Maybe include some custom branding and removal of Taplist branding. I could definitely see this as useful for commercial tap rooms.

Thank you! I've loved the inventiveness of the hbt'ers and other non-commercial users using it so far, so been a little reluctant to hold my hat out. Some examples of customized lists: 1, 2 - sorry to put anyone on the spot! But yes, costs - while low - are nonzero, and I'd love to find a sweet spot where some better commercial features could support and subsidize "the basics" for home users, keeping the core product "free forever" in the spirit of great products like github. More on this in the coming months I think.

Being able to control individual displays from the same backend with very minimal hardware (just a rpi or firetv) per display. Pretty awesome.

Yes! I know I'm a broken record here on this subject, but the firetv is really a delight for this kind of application. As a developer, it's a really great "stock" android platform in almost all regards. And for signage apps like this, it can be truly "set it and forget it". I'm a big believer!

Thanks for all the feedback! cheers,
mikey

Long story short, expect this to be opened up soon, I'd love to see what folks do with it!

Any chance you can give an estimate on what "soon" means? I'm about to move forward with a rpints project, but considering waiting. Volume tracking is a must for me.

Any chance you can give an estimate on what "soon" means? I'm about to move forward with a rpints project, but considering waiting. Volume tracking is a must for me.

Probably not in the next several weeks, unfortunately; focus is still on getting "display" flawless and great looking. For the DIY route, Kegbot (which has a TV/fullscreen mode) supports very detailed volume tracking and the community is still active.

I'd be all about a premium tier or paid-for option for Taplist.io to get more advanced features! And having a physical button to keep track of pours/volume would be awesome! While flowmeters are more accurate, they tend to add quite a bit of cost when you have 8+ taps.

Nice looking list, glad you found it easy to get it going!

I should probably mention -- if anyone had difficulty customizing things before, I just launched a new "live preview" mode that makes it a lot easier to see and customize the look and feel. More options are coming soon, here's what it looks like:

10aec230e79c5b27e66cc4a9447dd151b54498cd.png

cheers,
mikey

Back