tap water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You'll need to find out from your water company or local city to find out what is in it.

I live in Washington State in the boonies and am on a comunity well, and the iron and mineral content of the water makes it horrible to brew with. But I have a buddy that lives in city limits and brews all his beers with tap water. His beers come out great.

Gary

Cwag, ask your water department for a report.

GASoline, if you're ever near Lynnwood, you should bring some containers and pick up some spring water at the 164th st well just west of I-5.

im in Huntington Beach, CA. I used 3 Gallons of purified water and 2 Gallons of tap water. The water here doesn't seem to smell, it does taste like tap water but nothing too terrible. I think you will be okay; but I am going to definitely use all purified water on my next batch. Maybe I'll do a brew of 5 gal purified and a 5 gal of SoCal tap water to see the differences.

If you have municipal water, ask for a water report or look on your utility's website. Post back with the report. I found that there is some variance in my local water among the neighborhoods because there are several processing locations. I'm sure you could find a general report for Southern California, but you would have no way of knowing if your local utility did something weird.

You need some minerals in your water so using only purified might not work that well

Yeah, I think so :) mineral or spring water is usually good, but what is available for purchase in supermarkets by the name if 'purified water' usually is devoid if the necessary minerals

Latest posts

Back