TAP-A-DRAFT: first impression...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having an issue with piercing the cartridge as well.
You should not need to add a dime or anything like that. I don't have the 16g version of the TAD, but from the pictures it looks a lot like the Miller-Coors home draft, of which I have many. You have removed the "safety", right? There's a little clip you pull straight off? On the MHD, it prevents a full turn on the cartridge holder.

--Dale--

Thanks for the suggestions...
@brrit - I didn't remove the red ring, but by putting a dime in the bottom of the co2 cart holder, it raised the co2 cartridge and gave extra space in the threads. I still couldn't get it to pierce (at least by hand-turning...it might have worked if I took a wrench to it)

@sengsational - the tap-a-draft doesn't have a safety (at least not one I'm aware of)

I'm going to modify it to use a paint ball tank anyway, but would like the ability to use the co2 cartridges in a pinch and I'm not sure why it won't work...the piercing pin is in place...

Last night my TAD rolled out of my fridge and ripped one of the 8 gram cartridges off. Last week I ordered like 40 of those cartridges and now you can't find that version of the TAD, only 16 gram. Oh well, I ordered the 16 gram version. Do they make nitrogen cartridges in 16 gram?

Gonna have to finsih off my oatmeal stout tonight before it turns flat.

Last night my TAD rolled out of my fridge and ripped one of the 8 gram cartridges off. Last week I ordered like 40 of those cartridges and now you can't find that version of the TAD, only 16 gram. Oh well, I ordered the 16 gram version. Do they make nitrogen cartridges in 16 gram?
I've been using the MillerCoors Home Draft units that come with the 16 gram cartridges. The 8 gram cartridges are cheaper by the gram, so I've constructed a little converter that I made from a spent 16 gram cartridge.

I use 14 pennies to move it up to the right size, and use the spent 16 gram cartridge with the ends strategically cut off to center the smaller cartridge. I have had problems with the MHD units where the smaller cartridge was not centered, or the smaller cartridge heads were not the right size. But I've got it down to a science now, and I always buy the 8 gram cartridges, but use them in the taps made for 16 gram cartridges.

If you attempt this, you probably will need to adjust how tightly you tighten the cartridge holder; if you buy the perfect replacement cartridges, you twist it in until hit hits the stop. But if you improvise, like I have, you stand the chance of twisting it in too far, and binding the CO2 regulator. The symptoms you would see are that the CO2 wasn't flowing into the bottle. If you loosen and you get CO2 in the bottle, stop. If you loosen and get CO2 hissing outside the bottle, tighten again! I went through a buck or two of CO2 before I got the feel for it, but now I have (from Red Rock Minnesota) a big order of 8 gram cartridges that will last me a very long time.

--Dale--

Oh, and I have not seen anything but 8 gram nitrogen. If you find 16 gram version, please post.

sengsational said:
I've been using the MillerCoors Home Draft units that come with the 16 gram cartridges. The 8 gram cartridges are cheaper by the gram, so I've constructed a little converter that I made from a spent 16 gram cartridge.
http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=pohwdi1ae10fqrr&thumb=5http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=7nfsycmb1ris7z4&thumb=5http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=8afhv18db3661vm&thumb=5
I use 14 pennies to move it up to the right size, and use the spent 16 gram cartridge with the ends strategically cut off to center the smaller cartridge. I have had problems with the MHD units where the smaller cartridge was not centered, or the smaller cartridge heads were not the right size. But I've got it down to a science now, and I always buy the 8 gram cartridges, but use them in the taps made for 16 gram cartridges.

If you attempt this, you probably will need to adjust how tightly you tighten the cartridge holder; if you buy the perfect replacement cartridges, you twist it in until hit hits the stop. But if you improvise, like I have, you stand the chance of twisting it in too far, and binding the CO2 regulator. The symptoms you would see are that the CO2 wasn't flowing into the bottle. If you loosen and you get CO2 in the bottle, stop. If you loosen and get CO2 hissing outside the bottle, tighten again! I went through a buck or two of CO2 before I got the feel for it, but now I have (from Red Rock Minnesota) a big order of 8 gram cartridges that will last me a very long time.

--Dale--

Oh, and I have not seen anything but 8 gram nitrogen. If you find 16 gram version, please post.

I have been looking for a way to use 8g instead if 16g. Way better pricing on 8g as you mentioned. Great mod! Thanks for posting.

I've read through three different loooong threads on the TAD & Miller/Coors Home Draft. There is a great deal of info, but there is one thing I have not seen mentioned, so I thought I'd put it out there.

There is an adapter for the TAD tap that allows it to be used on the 5l party kegs, in the horizontal position. I doubt I'd ever buy any of the party kegs to put my home brew in, but it might be nice to pick up a favorite craft brew and dispense it with a TAD tap.

I've seen more than one post about the party keg taps breaking, so this could be beneficial to anyone that already has party kegs, but has a broken tap.

I've just cranked up the brewery again this season and will be using my TAD system. I have 12 6L bottles and two of the white taps that hold two cartridges. I like to have Nitrogen and CO2 for mine. For those who have both types of dispensers, which do you like best, the single cartridge or the doubles? The doubles use 8g carts and I have lots of those and it sounds like they are also less expensive.

I recently purchased TAD bottles from midwest. All the bottles did not have feet on the bottom (it is rounded). This makes it difficult to fill the bottle without a holder. It still has the feet for when the bottle is on it's side.

Has anyone else received bottles like this?

Feet? Do you have a photo of both types? I bought my last batch from MW a year ago. I recently bought 6 3L bottles to add to my supply.

Feet? Do you have a photo of both types? I bought my last batch from MW a year ago. I recently bought 6 3L bottles to add to my supply.

Here is a picture of a bottle with "feet". The bottle is stable in the upright position. The bottles I have are rounded at the bottom so the bottle tips over.

bottle.jpg

It's the brown bottle. Here is a picture of the bottom of the bottle.

I emailed the manufacture of TAD in regards to the bottle I have. Here is the repose:

"Sorry for the confusion. Yes, we did change our bottle design to have a rounded base. This is a stronger, more durable design. Although the other bottles were more convenient for filling, their structural integrity was not to our
specifications and resulted in some rupturing. The rounded bottles should last much longer, with less beer lost."

That makes no sense to me. Especially since most people naturally carb in these and stand them upright.

That makes no sense to me. Especially since most people naturally carb in these and stand them upright.

Agree.... I was also told from midwestsupplies.com that the caps on the brown bottles are much stronger than the older ones. Therefore leaving the beer on its side is fine.

I emailed the manufacture of TAD in regards to the bottle I have. Here is the repose:

"Sorry for the confusion. Yes, we did change our bottle design to have a rounded base. This is a stronger, more durable design. Although the other bottles were more convenient for filling, their structural integrity was not to our
specifications and resulted in some rupturing. The rounded bottles should last much longer, with less beer lost."

Less beer lost, hehe. They are not counting the beer all over the floor when you try and rack into one of those suckers. That's going to be a rpita. I'm glad I've got a big backlog of old MillerLite Home Draft units (out of date, returned and dumped by the distributor). From their earlier web site, the old bottles were supposed to hold more pressure than a champagne bottle. That would have been enough for me. Besides, the dang caps leak before the bottle blows up.

--Dale--

They are going to have to come out with a little stand of some sort if this is going to be the permanent bottle.

I also found 16 g nitro cartridges on ebay that are unthreaded and food-grade. (I messaged the seller).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/25-X-Large-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item587c94b674&vxp=mtr

Those are Nitrous Oxide, NOT Nitrogen containers.

Although you might get a little silly sniffing that gas (AKA laughing gas) it would not be good in beer. It would oxidize the beer very quickly. Nitrous Oxide is an oxidizer. That is why it is also used in race cars. It increases performance by increasing oxygen to the fuel air ratio.

Dahoov said:
Those are Nitrous Oxide, NOT Nitrogen containers.

Although you might get a little silly sniffing that gas (AKA laughing gas) it would not be good in beer. It would oxidize the beer very quickly. Nitrous Oxide is an oxidizer. That is why it is also used in race cars. It increases performance by increasing oxygen to the fuel air ratio.

I know. it was surprising to me too, but N2O cartridges can be used in the TAD for serving, not carbing, as a "pseudo" beer-gas for serving stouts.

It was discussed earlier in this thread, but people had trouble sourcing 16g cartridges for the newer systems. I agree, seems weird. The link above has 16g cartridges on eBay. Seller said they were food grade.

http://www.breworganic.com/browseproducts/8-Gram-Whipped-Cream-(N2O)-Cartridges--Box-of-24.html

I know. it was surprising to me too, but N2O cartridges can be used in the TAD for serving, not carbing, as a "pseudo" beer-gas for serving stouts.

It was discussed earlier in this thread, but people had trouble sourcing 16g cartridges for the newer systems. I agree, seems weird. The link above has 16g cartridges on eBay. Seller said they were food grade.

http://www.breworganic.com/browseproducts/8-Gram-Whipped-Cream-(N2O)-Cartridges--Box-of-24.html

Interesting. I had always assumed that Sturman BG was selling 8 gram nitrogen cartridges to mix in their 2 cartridge system, but a quick look at the site shows they are indeed using the Nitrous Oxide cylinders commonly used for whipped cream containers.

Even knowing that I am still a little skeptical. I have had N2O at the dentist and spent a lot of time at the RC field where the car guys almost always use "Nitro" fuel. N2O has a distinctive sickly sweet smell that I would be afraid of getting in my beer.

Be sure to report back to us with your results.

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't store beer under it. I don't really have any beers going that I would want to serve "nitro" style. I just wanted to show that 16 g cartridges are available.

The guy said they are food grade, but buyer beware.

The nitrous cartridges will push the beer when combined with a CO2 cart. However, I've found they don't offer much in the way of that nice creamy pour. The first pint or two they do seem to help, but the benefit seems short lived.

I can tell you from experience that you can use nitrous oxided to dispense beer. True, it is not the same as nitrogen, but your beer will be fine. The OWT that nitrous will oxidize beer is crap.

Point one, from experience, a friend of mine and I took 6 liters of bourbon aged Foothills Peoples Porter from a keg, shook some of the CO2 out of it, and attempted to force nitrous oxide into solution. We got a little bit of the small bubbles of nitrogen, but not the full effect. All that was background. The point is that the keg sat in his fridge for over two months. When he had his next house party, I wanted my keg back, so I pulled it out and started sharing it out. The last 1/4 of the keg tasted exactly like the first 3/4...no oxydation.

Point two, why would tap a draft sell nitrous cartridges if it ruined beer?

--Dale--

I wasn't trying to restart the nitrous dispensing argument. I posted to show that I found 16g n2o cartridges on eBay that should fit the new tap.

aaargh, seems like I have a leak at the CO2 pin (gasket) on the 5th use of the tap unit. I put in a cartridge and all of the gas blows back through the cartridge housing. Any advice? guess I need to check the O-ring.

anybody have any ideas on how to keep this thing from rolling in the fridge w/o using the little black drip tray? has anyone made an in-fridge stand of sorts they would like to share a picture of?

Usually I utilize the little molded-in feet, but they are sometimes not aligned with the tap. So what I've done, pretty ghetto, is just save-up the wads of aluminum foil that my better half is throwing out. When I get enough of it, wad it up somewhat lightly in one mass, then smash the bottle down in it. Not very elegant, but cheap and effective.

--Dale--

I used a very fancy, high-tech method of keeping the TAD from rolling in the fridge since I didn't like using the drip tray. I put it on one side so it was up against the wall of the fridge and then stacked crap right against it on the other side.

Does anyone know where to get a replacement for the double-sided rubber washer in the CO2 housing? The repair kit on the TAD site seems to only have a regular o-ring.

Hey, you stole me technique!!!!

Too late. I patented it. You owe me beer now in lieu of royalties.

Does anyone know where to get a replacement for the double-sided rubber washer in the CO2 housing? The repair kit on the TAD site seems to only have a regular o-ring.

I'm thinking that's what is used to replace it. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're referring to.

Guys,

If you're having trouble sleeping, here's a video that compares the 16 gram taps and bottles.

--Dale--

Last edited by a moderator:
anyone rigged up a longer dispensing tube to fill growlers from this thing? I cant imagine it would be hard, maybe just slip a larger diameter tube over the dispensing one?

anyone rigged up a longer dispensing tube to fill growlers from this thing? I cant imagine it would be hard, maybe just slip a larger diameter tube over the dispensing one?

I have actually bottle and capped off the TAD system, look up the we dont need to stinking beer gun thread and slightly modify that system to fit the TAD or adjust as neccesary for your growler.

I found that I have the drip tray up flush against the fridge it only comes out just past the faucet. My setup looks the same as all keezers. Is this what everyone else is doing? Or do you adjust it on the brackets you make to stick out.

I've got to say, I'm loving the tap-a-draft! Easy bottling, easy to set up, nice pouring, etc. It strikes me as a perfect compromise between bottling and kegging. I wouldn't mind if it was a little cheaper or the bottles a little thicker, but that's not getting in my way of enjoying it. I'm going to need more bottles.

I pulled a newbie thing.....I think. Yesterday I filled 2 Tap a Draft bottles from my first batch and bottled the rest in 12 ounce bottles using the carb tabs. I forced carbed one TAD bottle and set it in the fridge and just placed the other bottle in the fridge. I remembered this morning I forgot to add priming sugar to the extra bottle. Can I still do it? If so how much? Do the extra filled TAD bottles have to be stored in the fridge? Hopefully today I get a chance to start my second ever brew. It's a Dunkelweizen from Brewers Best and I am hoping it's like the beer we had in Austria and Germany. It will also be in a TAD system with some in bottles. Hoping they don't have to be stored in the fridge because it will start filling it up fast. Thank You.

Back