Tannin from fruit juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mat1993

Reaction score
I picked prickly pear cactus fruits and made a simple syrup from them by boiling, pureeing, then straining the fruits to get a juice then adding equal parts of sugar. I was not using the syrup as much as I planned so I decided to make a gallon of wine out of the remaining syrup. I'm following a recipe that calls for adding the mashed fruits into the primary, but I do not have the pulp that I strained.

My question regards tannin. Will my syrup already have tannin in it since it was pureed, or should I add tannin in to the recipe?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Taste the syrup that you made, if it is astringent, natural tannins are present, if it isn't, you'll need to add tannins. Does the recipe call for tannins? In a light tasting wine such as prickly pear, I would go real light on the tannins.

No the recipe does not call for tannins. I assumed the tannin in the recipe would come from the skins and pulp in primary.

If the acid level is adjusted properly, would it be okay to not add any tannin and still Achieve a decent wine?

absolutely, the beauty of making our own wine is that you can add various additives such as tannin and oak, and so forth, as long as you like the end results, you've made a decent wine.

Back