tangerine instead of orange peel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LouBrew13

Reaction score
I'm brewing up northern brewers le petite orange and they say that you can add orange peel and coriander in the boil. It's optional. Has anybody else made it?

First should I add it? Secondly, would tangerine be much different than orange?

Thanks and cheers.

Often, when a recipe calls for orange peel, it is dried orange peel. This lends a bitterness to the beer, not a typical orange sweetness. The orange flavor comes from the coriander, actually.

That being said, I have no idea what fresh tangerine peel would add, but it sounds interesting! I say go for it! Just make sure you don't get the white pith in it, just the peel (and the aromatic oils in the peel).

I added some fresh clementine peel to about 4 oz of cheap vodka and made a tincture. I let it sit for about a week to extract the oils from the peel and added it to the bottling bucket of an american wheat recipe. Gave a nice hint of orange.

And the wheat is what I'd add it to myself. But this recipe is described as a lighter version of a dubbel.

Back