Fruit and Spice Beer Tangerine Creamsicle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwapogorilla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Funkytown
Yeast Starter
yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days @ 80*
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days @ 65*
Tasting Notes
BIG tangering flavor, followed by vanilla.
Inspired by Terrapin Brewing Co. Tangerine Dreamsicle. Very easy beer to drink. Nice fruit flavor followed by vanilla. At 5.5%, this is perfect for hot summer days.

Recipes assumes 71% eff.

Single infusion mash for 60 minutes at 155*F.
8 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Ale Malt 2-Row (3.5 SRM)
3 lbs 4.0 oz Wheat, White (2.9 SRM)
12.0 oz Honey Malt (Gambrinus) (25.0 SRM)

Boil for 60 minutes. Add following items
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet...when 15.0 mins. left in boil
1 oz FRESH ZESTED tangering/tangelo peel...7 mins. left in boil
1.00 lb Lactose...5 mins. left in boil

Chill wort to 170-175* then add hops and whirlpool for 50 minutes @ that temp range*
ALL HOPS ADDED DURING WHIRLPOOL
1.53 oz Azacca...Whirlpool 50.0 min
0.94 oz Citra...Whirlpool 50.0 min
0.68 oz Amarillo...Whirlpool 50.0 min

Chill wort to below 60* if possible. Pitch yeast starter and ramp up temp in fermenter to 80* for 7 days.
1.0 pkg Funkytown (The Yeast Bay #)

After 7 days, rack beer into secondary fermenter. Add dry hops and vanilla beans. Vanilla beans should be cut to 1/2" lengths and preboiled in 1 cup of water before adding to secondary. Beans and water should both be added to secondary.
1.00 oz Azacca Dry Hop 7.0 Days
2.00 Items Vanilla beans (Secondary 7.0 days)

After 7 more days, keg/bottle.

Note: The low whirlpool temp leads to a very mild bitterness but fragrant IPA with nice fruit notes from the hops. If a little more bitterness is desired, increasing the whirlpool temp to 185* should do the trick.

I picked up some german mandarina bavaria hops. I think they would be a great fit for this. I'm not familiar with whirlpool though.

I picked up some german mandarina bavaria hops. I think they would be a great fit for this. I'm not familiar with whirlpool though.

I have used Mandarina Bavaria for other beers in the past. They don't have as much of a citrus flavor as the Azacca, and they also have a little "spice" in them. No biggy, maybe pump up the tangerine/tangelo zest to 1.25 to help out a little, and increase the temp to around 170* to help with the bitterness.

As far as whirlpooling.....easy peezy. When your 60 minute boil is done, put your wort chiller in and cool the wort to the desired temp. When the temp is there remove your chiller, add your hops and stir to get a "whirlpool" going.
You will have to use your burner to maintain the desired temp, and stir every minute or so to keep whirlpool going.

The temp and time duration of the whirlpool(also called hop stand)effect the bitterness, flavor and aroma the hops contribute to the beer. The very low temp of 155* contributes little bitterness, moderate flavor and LOTS of aroma. Increasing the temp to 185* leans the beer towards more bitterness and flavors with a little less aroma.

The more I think of it, the more I like the higher setting of 170-175* for the whirlpool for this beer, as the first batch had a better hop flavor than the 2nd. I am going to edit the initial post to reflect that decision.

By the way, this beer tastes gooooood with a scoop of vanilla icecream in it!

Any tips on where to buy Funktown or any suggestions for a replacement yeast?

Funktown yeast is sold by "Yeast Bay". About the only other substitute with similar ester flavors would be Vermont Ale yeast, also sold by Yeast Bay. I know some of the ingredients are a PIA to obtain. ...I didn't intend for it to be that way. I Use them because of the fruit flavor they produce.

Any tips on where to buy Funktown or any suggestions for a replacement yeast?

Now that I am home, on the computer with BIG buttons, I can answer your question a little better.

You can only by Funktown from Yeast Bay. They don't have any distributers, so you have to buy direct from them online. Nick(the owner) is great to work with, and he sells a quality product.
http://www.theyeastbay.com/

If you don't want/can't get a hold of Funktown or Vermont Ale, you could also try "Brettanomyces Bruxellensis Trois" from White Labs (WLP644). But, that strain tends to like higher temps around 80* to stay active. That strain "may" fall inactive in beer bottles, since most of us keep our homes around the 67* mark. So when using it, you may have to add a 2nd yeast to your bottling bucket to help bottle condition your beers.
Judging by the flavor profile description of "Funktown", I strongly suspect it is a blend of Brettanomyces Bruxellensis Trois and Vermont Ale.

If those strains are out all together, you could use Wyeast 1056. Then, at bottling time, add .5 ounces of peach extract bottling bucket in an attempt to mimic the yeast esters. Keep the extract levels low, as you just want a HINT of flavor to come in behind the citrus flavor.

Hope this helps. If you brew it, I'd sure like to hear how it turns out for you.

Now that I am home, on the computer with BIG buttons, I can answer your question a little better.

You can only by Funktown from Yeast Bay. They don't have any distributers, so you have to buy direct from them online. Nick(the owner) is great to work with, and he sells a quality product.

If you don't want/can't get a hold of Funktown or Vermont Ale, you could also try "Brettanomyces Bruxellensis Trois" from White Labs (WLP644). But, that strain tends to like higher temps around 80* to stay active. That strain "may" fall inactive in beer bottles, since most of us keep our homes around the 67* mark. So when using it, you may have to add a 2nd yeast to your bottling bucket to help bottle condition your beers.
Judging by the flavor profile description of "Funktown", I strongly suspect it is a blend of Brettanomyces Bruxellensis Trois and Vermont Ale.

If those strains are out all together, you could use Wyeast 1056. Then, at bottling time, add .5 ounces of peach extract bottling bucket in an attempt to mimic the yeast esters. Keep the extract levels low, as you just want a HINT of flavor to come in behind the citrus flavor.

Hope this helps. If you brew it, I'd sure like to hear how it turns out for you.
Thanks for all the info. I'll wait until I can get some Funktown. I really like what I've read about it. I got the same feel that you did that it was a cross between Vermont Ale and Brett Brux Trois and I'd like to try it.

It will probably be a little while, but I'll definitely let you know how it turns out.

Funktown is back in stock, but once you add in shipping it works out to be $18. Is that how much you paid?

Can the yeast be harvested or does the blend change after initial fermentation?

Yep, that's what I paid. Phucking nuts huh. I also bought a vial of "Vermont Ale" at the same time to help keep the cost average down a little. Vermont Ale is a really nice strain...excellent for pale ales and IPA's. If you haven't considered buying that one...maybe take a closer look at it.

I harvested mine. I usually split into 5 different vials when I harvest and freeze. I haven't noticed any mutations yet, but I am still on generation #1.

I have also bought a vial of WLP644 Saccharomyces "bruxellensis" Trois...also excellent for IPA's. So in the future, if my "Funktown" does mutate...I am going to make my own blend from Vermont and WLP 644 yeasts.

Back