Talkin' Some PS3...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
I recently bought a PS3, mainly because it was only $400 and it has a Blu-Ray player built in, whereas standalone Blu-Ray players start at about $300. Plus I got a sweet mail-in offer for 5 free Blu-Ray DVD movies with the purchase, and those things are $25-$30 each retail. Anyway, I got Assassin's Creed when I bought the system, but the relative one-dimensionality and repetitiveness of that game led me to go grab Orange Box last night---which is a sweet pack of Valve games, including Portal, Half-Life 2, and HL2 eps 1 & 2, plus a multiplayer Fortress game. I've only played a bit of it so far, but it looks like a LOT of fun---and I haven't even tried Portal yet, which I hear is one of the best games of the year. Heh, all those for $50. Not bad.

So who else has a PS3? What kind of games have you bought? I think COD4-MW is the next purchase, but I can always be convinced otherwise.

I've liked most of the games I've tried so far. Mine came with Motorstorm--it kind of blows. Very repetitive.

We of course bought Rock band. It roolz. Finally got to play it quite a bit with 4 players. It was such a blast. You really have to pay attention to the other bandmates during gameplay to make sure they aren't struggling.

COD4 is a great game. I am seriously wavering on purchasing it though. The single player campaign is VERY short. You'll finish it in a few hours. That leaves online play and I tried it for a little while but I suck so bad. I spend most of my time dead. I'm sure with some buddies (clan!) and some practice it could be very fun. Other than that though--I'm strugglign to find very much re-play value for the 60 bones.

I've played some sports titles as well, Madden was lame, and NHL 2K8 has so many buttons and button combos it is a STEEP learning curve. After about 5 games I took it back. It was impossible to score a goal on a one-timer, and for a hockey game I think that is extremely lame. I could only score by sweeping in front of the net and scorign that way. So NOT how goals are scored in hockey.

I love the fact that you can download content right from the PS3. I've bought a few songs for Rock band, downloaded trailers, game demos, etc. Pretty cool.

I even hooked up my bluetooth headset from my cell phone and chatted during an online COD4 game. ROCK ON!

Great purchase so far.

I've been having fun with GH:III, Time Crisis 4, Motorstorm (Dude, if it's getting repetitive, hop online - it's a blast!) Ratchet and Clank, Pain (serious fun for $9.99!). Can't wait for GT5 Prologue to really put my driving wheel to the test!

COD4 is one of the best games I've ever played albeit a little short.
I just picked up COD3 for and Resistance: Fall of man for cheap.
I'll probably pick up Tiger Woods 08 and MOH Airborne.

I love the ability to download game demos. And I can set my iMac up as a media server and play videos and music through my PS3/home theater set-up at the other end of the house.

ive been toying around with the idea of adding a new HDD. I saved a bit of cash and went with the 40 gig. I've found a 250GB for pretty cheap. If I do decide on going with a bigger HDD Ill probably end up installing Linux and getting a wireless keyboard and mouse. I hear Firefox looks pretty good on your HDTV ;) From what I've heard the PS3 is a pretty powerful little machine.

Oh and heres a link for a buy one get one free deal from Amazon for Blu Ray movies. I picked up two this morning for 20 bucks shipped

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht...p=346206501&pf_rd_i=507846&tag=blurayforum-20

TheJadedDog said:
I can't speak for this game on PS3 as I'm a 360 owner myself, but Assassin's Creed, while really good at first, gets very repetitive, so be warned.

Agreed 110%. I was really excited at first because everything seemed so rich and alive. I've come to find out, though, that that rich, vibrant world is little more than a pretty backdrop. You can't talk to most people or even interact with them. You can't open doors to homes, you can't go inside, you can't buy things. You have specific tasks (save citizen, climb viewpoints, pickpocket and eavesdrop) in each city, plus a really stupid side-game where you collect hidden flags. Yip-freakin-ee. :( Each city has the same tasks...just in different places. The scenery changes, but that's about it. After all the hype surrounding this game, I'm surprised at how quickly it got old. I still really can't believe that the developers created this complex living world, but somehow managed to make 90% of what's going on off-limits to your character. Yes, it's fun to climb buildings and run across rooftops and kill guards with your hidden blade when they're not looking...but that's only fun for a few hours. It's just a shame that so much is wasted as simple backdrop. For chrissakes, GTA III had more interactive elements than this.

Evan! said:
plus a really stupid side-game where you collect hidden flags. Yip-freakin-ee. :
I'm surprised this is even in the PS3 version. The whole reason for the flag collecting on 360 is for achievement points which MS forces developers to put in the game. Unless there is something equivalent for PS3, there is truly no point to the flags at all.

I was bent that a good concept and great eye candy were reduced to doing the same tasks 9 times. It would have been great if the missions had been different or more challenging, but I found that things got easier as the game went along.

TheJadedDog said:
I'm surprised this is even in the PS3 version. The whole reason for the flag collecting on 360 is for achievement points which MS forces developers to put in the game. Unless there is something equivalent for PS3, there is truly no point to the flags at all.

I was bent that a good concept and great eye candy were reduced to doing the same tasks 9 times. It would have been great if the missions had been different or more challenging, but I found that things got easier as the game went along.

Yeah, the flags seem a bit...superfluous. And yeah, it does seem to get easier. I never get killed by groups of guards anymore, even if it's 10-1. The rest of them just stand there while I fight one of them.

:off:

Man, I wish I had time for PS3. I don't even have enough brewing time. How do you guys do it? Should I reserve my TV time for only sports, video games, and The Girls Next Door?

Well, if you have kids, then...that's the difference between you and me.

If not...what do you do? I have time at nights to play, and on the weekends sometimes. I work an 8-5'er.

Evan! said:
Well, if you have kids, then...that's the difference between you and me.

If not...what do you do? I have time at nights to play, and on the weekends sometimes. I work an 8-5'er.

No kids, same hours, just don't have time for games. I usually cook dinner which is like 1-1.5 hours or so once we're done eating. Then I usually do something like laundry or fix something around the house. Throw in going to the gym and taking care of dog stuff and its pretty much nothing but bedtime left...

I usually hit it around 10:30. I could probably push it back to 11-11:30 for some Tiger Woods and Madden NFL...

Yeah, I usually game from 5-6, break for dinner and time with my wife, then hit it again from 9-midnight once my wife goes to bed.

On the weekends I have a day for brewing and other stuff around the house and a day for gaming.

So I took a break from HL2 to try out Portal last night. I gotta say, I was skeptical at first because I'm not used to that type of game, but after clearing a few levels, I was hooked. Now that I've picked up the orange portal gun, it's gotten just that much more complicated. It may not be the most exciting game you'll play, but it will most assuredly be one of the most original and unique. Kudos to the guys who came up with this stuff!

So Evan, when you getting COD4? At least rent it, so I can at least kill a n00b once or twice in some online action.

Hook up your blu-tooth headset and we can be online best buddy bros. ;)

BTW, send me a friend request, I am: IronOrr44

My favs are Rockband and Warhawk. Lair had a ton of potential but has been a HUGE letdown, so I'd stay away from that one. There are a number of others that I'd stay away from, too, due to being rushed to production like Lair.

If you like the old Asteroids game for Atari, BlastFactor is an awesome newage twist on the same concept.

Burnout Paradise is rad and looks fantastic as well.

Battlefield: Bad Company will probably be amazing.

Driver is always fun.

Final Fantasy XIII will probably deliver. It will at least be the best looking one yet, so I can't wait to see that one.

Heavenly Sword is an amazing looking bit, but the gameplay is a bit weird because the controls are kind of clunky.

Hot Shots Golf is always very fun, especially with a few people.

Killzone is another shooter game that just looks amazing. Fun to play, too, but might get repetitive. Haven't played it enough to tell yet.

MX vs. ATV Untamed - I like this series, they're fun 1 player and with a group.

NHL 2k7 and 2k8 are both very fun. Best controls I've ever experience in a sports game as well. Very very fun head to head with a friend.

Rockband simply rocks. I'm a drummer, but I bet everyone else will love it too.

The Simpsons looks beautiful. Artwork is fantastic, looks just like the cartoon but in a 3d world. Funny, too.

Uncharted Drakes Fortune looks like it has an awesome story line, good graphics, and several styles of play. I have hope for it, but I haven't played it.

Warhawk is TONS of fun.

Chimone said:
I'll probably end up installing Linux and getting a wireless keyboard and mouse. I hear Firefox looks pretty good on your HDTV ;) From what I've heard the PS3 is a pretty powerful little machine.
This may be what pushes me over the edge to buy a PS3. I'm not a big gamer, but I find them entertaining from time to time. I would definitely like an HD movie player, and BluRay seems to have enough of a hold on the market to pull the trigger. If the added bonus is that I can do a custom Linux install and have another computer in the house (hooked up to a 42" screen!), I think I'm sold. SWMBO's even been talking about a game system (the Wii, specifically...but I don't think I can justify buying one of those overpriced, over-hyped consoles). Hmm...

Anybody have any experience with a PS3 Linux install?

Chimone said:
http://www.ps3forums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=51

and if anyone wants to add me for some COD4 -- JimmyBeam27

Cool....we can start our own little HBT clan. :rockin:

Anyone mind if a former HBT member gets into it too?

I might be on for a while tonight, but more than likely my best shot at getting some playing in will be Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday.

I don't know how it is for you guys, but tonight Im having the worst time trying to get into any COD4 servers consistently.

I got mine as a Christmas present last year from SWMBO, and I like it alot.
But for the most part, I never play it.
We got Rockband for the PS3 and that's gotten alot of use over the past 2 weeks..
I have Resistance, Motorstorm and Madden for it and well, im a Madden junkie, so that got ALOT of play.

We use the Wii more then anything, but I think that's because I actually buy Wii games.
When I play the 360 or PS3, I usually rent games. The downfall is that my local Blockbuster doesn't have a big PS3 selection.

I haven't bought a DVD in about 7 years, but I have been buying select Blu-Ray movies.

I just wish the HDvd vs. Blu-Ray war would end.
I'm sure Blu-Ray will be the victor, but I want Transformers on Blu-Ray :)

Evan! said:
So I took a break from HL2 to try out Portal last night.

I played HL2 a bit, kind of depressing - but I'll give it some more time. I have been playing Team Fortress though on the Orange Box, its online only and pretty fun. It's fairly basic and only a few boards, but the fact that you play as one of nine characters makes the gameplay interesting. I only rented the game, haven't decided what else to buy yet. :confused:

I have both the PS3 and 360.

I picked up the PS3 primarily for the Blue Ray capabilities. I like Assassins creed still but I haven't played it much.

There were so many PS2 games that I still have and love to play so the reverse compatibility was a big thing for me. I was able to remove my DVD and ps2 and replace it with the ps3. Nice for all those darn cables and cords and crap.

I haven't played COD4 yet but I really think Sony needs to kick it up a notch in terms of making a game great all around. Remember when movies were great and then special affects took over? Seems like the same thing for the ps3. More power for better graphics and stuff but their games are basically lame.

Smogre, sorry to have to tell you this, but...PS3 isn't backwards-compatible with PS2 games. It WILL play games from the original playstation console, though. If you've been playing PS2 games on it, well, I congratulate you on a miracle!

EDIT: I was obviously talking like Cheney at a revisionist convention...

Evan! said:
Smogre, sorry to have to tell you this, but...PS3 isn't backwards-compatible with PS2 games. It WILL play games from the original playstation console, though. If you've been playing PS2 games on it, well, I congratulate you on a miracle!

Silly silly silly Evan! My PS3 plays PS2 games.....SWMBO is playing the GTA Trilogy on it right now....this is what pisses me off about Sony like so much other **** they do.

You have to have the 80GB version to do backwards compatible anything....that is so gay. The only reason why we got the 80GB was because of this, but we were going to get a PS2 anyway, so we saved $30 getting the bigger PS3.

So SWMBO and I are pumped for our 5 free movies too! I love my PS3 except I ****ing scratched it dusting the top off....that made me so mad I had to go break sticks in the yard. $500 game consoles shouldn't scratch with a nice duster.......

98EXL said:
Silly silly silly Evan! My PS3 plays PS2 games.....SWMBO is playing the GTA Trilogy on it right now....this is what pisses me off about Sony like so much other **** they do.

You have to have the 80GB version to do backwards compatible anything....that is so gay. The only reason why we got the 80GB was because of this, but we were going to get a PS2 anyway, so we saved $30 getting the bigger PS3.

So SWMBO and I are pumped for our 5 free movies too! I love my PS3 except I ****ing scratched it dusting the top off....that made me so mad I had to go break sticks in the yard. $500 game consoles shouldn't scratch with a nice duster.......

Duh, my bad then. I never even looked at the 80gb version, figured the technology was the same. That's effing strange.

I didn't see anything written on the box about it....the silly little smurf told me about it so I just listened to him blindly

it's ok, I know a few who didn't know that, but use their old one for that

Yeah, the wife just went out like 2 months ago and bought a brand new PS2 because our old one was broken and she was jonesin for Katamari.

Man....my PS3 took a crap tonight. The thing won't read discs. I took it back to Circuit City but they didn't have any left! I raised a fit and ended up getting a 60 gber at a HUGE discount and some store credit. As I said before, the blu-ray thing is the biggest thing for me, so not having backward compatibility isn't an issue for me. Especially at the end cost of what this turned out to be.

I just got done setting everything up--and even though I backed up all of my game saves on my thumb drive--it didn't carry over any of the Rock band files. GAWD DAMN!!!!!!! That sucks. I had all 65 songs unlocked.

Errrrr...need a beer.

Dude said:
Man....my PS3 took a crap tonight. The thing won't read discs. I took it back to Circuit City but they didn't have any left! I raised a fit and ended up getting a 60 gber at a HUGE discount and some store credit. As I said before, the blu-ray thing is the biggest thing for me, so not having backward compatibility isn't an issue for me. Especially at the end cost of what this turned out to be.

I just got done setting everything up--and even though I backed up all of my game saves on my thumb drive--it didn't carry over any of the Rock band files. GAWD DAMN!!!!!!! That sucks. I had all 65 songs unlocked.

Errrrr...need a beer.

Holy crap, that does suck.
I've heard about the "not reading discs" problem, but it doesn't seem to be common. Hopefully you'll be good with your new unit!

The original 60 (which I got) and 20gb were fully backwards compatible as well. CoD4 is the ****

Dude said:

Errrrr...need a beer.

60 GB is backwards compatible too isnt it?

I played COD4 for hours online last night....stayed up way too late (and only had 3 beers last night) but man am I paying for it now

Chimone said:
60 GB is backwards compatible too isnt it?

Sorry, I meant 40gb.

Speaking of, I am experiencing another oddity with the new one. During game play, the disc will stop reading after a while. When I eject the disc, it has a weird oily substance on it. WTF???? After I clean it, it will read again. Anyone heard of this?

Back