tainted beer ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karlosjeje

Reaction score
Hi,

For first time in 27 batches a strange thing appeared floating in my beer (secondary fermenter) photos below...

IMG_7060.jpg
IMG_7058.jpg
IMG_7059.jpg

I withdraw it very carefully and bottle normally. The beer did not smell or taste bad. But what is that thing ? like a fungus ? its dangerus ?

i didnt bottle all the batch and the beer I draw from the bottom of the fermetator and that thing was floating.

Thanks you for tour time!

I don’t have much experience when it comes to identifying infections, but my initial thought is that it could be some slight mold? What was the recipe here? Could it be undissolved sugar (seems unlikely?)

From what I’ve read, there is very little chance any infection forming in your beer will be dangerous. It will either taste better, worse, or indifferent!

How did your sanitation differ this batch?

Yep, looks like mould. It's unlikely to be harmful, but some brewers get paranoid and dump mouldy beers. It's a sign that there's too much Oxygen (it can only grow with Oxygen present) which is bad for beer. Most brewers have moved away from using secondaries for this reason.

Back