Tahitian or Mexican vanilla?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yyvjpv

Reaction score
I am getting ready to bottle a winter spice ale that's been sitting in the primary a few weeks. The recipe calls for some vanilla extract at bottling, I have both Mexican and Tahitian. Wondering which would better suit the beer? As i understand it Mexican is more "spicy" which might suit the nutmeg, cardamom, and cinnamon I've already added. Tahtiian on the other hand is described as more floral, which I could see also being nice for some of the dark fruit flavors I imagine will come out of this. Any thoughts one way or the other?

Id go for tahitian. Personally, I like it a lot better, at least as far as the beans are concerned. But as its extract, it really depends on the extract. Id taste them. You can always put a drop of each in a regular finished beer and taste the difference between them in beer.

Id go for tahitian. Personally, I like it a lot better, at least as far as the beans are concerned. But as its extract, it really depends on the extract. Id taste them. You can always put a drop of each in a regular finished beer and taste the difference between them in beer.

Not a bad idea, I think I'm going to give that a try. Thanks!

Back