t-58 is a beast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robopp

Reaction score
I'm seriously confused. I had some expired t-58 in the fridge and a bunch of hops that I wanted to use up so I whipped up a basic IPA yesterday and decided to use up the t-58, as well. The OG was 1.070 with 5% dextrose. I re-hydrated the t-58 and pitched it into the wort that was aerated using a whisk. My fermentation chamber is a fridge with a temp controller set to 63F. No lie, fermentation started 2 hours later and now the thing is going ballistic! I've been brewing for the last two years and I've used S-05, S-04, Conan, 1318 and a couple other strains of yeast, but this is the quickest starter and most violent ferment that I've had to date and it was 9 months expired! Is this normal for t-58?

I'm seriously confused. I had some expired t-58 in the fridge and a bunch of hops that I wanted to use up so I whipped up a basic IPA yesterday and decided to use up the t-58, as well. The OG was 1.070 with 5% dextrose. I re-hydrated the t-58 and pitched it into the wort that was aerated using a whisk. My fermentation chamber is a fridge with a temp controller set to 63F. No lie, fermentation started 2 hours later and now the thing is going ballistic! I've been brewing for the last two years and I've used S-05, S-04, Conan, 1318 and a couple other strains of yeast, but this is the quickest starter and most violent ferment that I've had to date and it was 9 months expired! Is this normal for t-58?

It ferments fast, but finishes a little high for my taste.

It ferments fast, but finishes a little high for my taste.

I'm a little worried about where it's going to finish, which is why I added the 5% dextrose and mashed in at 148F. I'm hoping it finishes up around 1.013ish. I still can't get over how fast of a ferment this was.

It's normal fermentation with t58. It slow down at the end, so be careful before bottling or kegging, leave it few days more to let it finish fermentation

Back