System Balancing - line length vs flow control faucets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomash

Reaction score
I've been working on my coffin keezer design for a month or two now, and have read dozens of threads on beer system balancing and feel I have a pretty good understanding of the how and why.

So my question is, do the flow control faucets like the Perlick 650SS really completely eliminate the need to balance your system. If you put a faucet that is properly balanced the traditional way (by adjusting line length), along side a flow control faucet, with a relatively short beer line, adjusted for the same pour rate, will they in fact pour the same?

I'm planning on using the 3/16 Bev Seal Ultra line for my build, and I'm trying to decide to spend the extra money on the faucets, or on the extra beer line. I really like the idea of external flow control so that I can tailor each faucet for the beer it's pouring without having to change out beer lines.

I run 5' lines and flow control. Works for me. I always have a variety of beer on tap with different carb levels. Don't want to mess with changing lines as my brews change.

Thanks Jayzon. That thread more or less supports my thinking that flow control faucets are more for fine tuning, and are not a replacement for the proper tubing length (or a least close to the proper length).

In my mind I picture the rapid decompression of a few psi in the short length of the faucet causing foaming issues. Maybe not as much as much as a standard faucet, but still there.

Thanks.

Back