Syrupy fruit wine has stalled

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joesf35

Reaction score
I have two gallons of citrus wine in carboys that have stalled. They taste very syrupy, almost like maple syrup, and I can't get the fermentation started back up to finish the sugar off no matter how I repitch the yeast. The initial sg was high at 1.15, now the sg is at about 1.10.
Any advice?

I have two gallons of citrus wine in carboys that have stalled. They taste very syrupy, almost like maple syrup, and I can't get the fermentation started back up to finish the sugar off no matter how I repitch the yeast. The initial sg was high at 1.15, now the sg is at about 1.10.
Any advice?

I'd check the SG again. It's hard to believe it started at 1.150 and finished at 1.100.

boo boo said:
Make a starter with some of the wine and use L-1118 yeast and when it starts to ferment, pitch it into your wine. How low are you fermenting it?

It has been over six weeks now. I am trying to get it down to less than syrupy.

Yooper said:
I'd check the SG again. It's hard to believe it started at 1.150 and finished at 1.100.

I will double check it again later in the week when the last addition of energizer and yeast settles out a little.

Old thread, but just opened a bottle of this wine today and it is pretty good!
It actually started at 1.115, not 1.15, and wound up finishing at about 1.03.
It still has a maple syrup kind of smell and is a little sticky on the lips, but it finishes well. Amazing what a year in a bottle can do!

Back