Syringe For Taking Samples From Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dok

Reaction score
I use 6.5 gallon glass carboys. I am trying to come up with a way to draw samples out my fermenter by just removing the airlock out of the stopper and inserting a tube through the stopper. I have shopped for large plastic syringes but I am just curious if any of you have come up with anything that does the job without O2 exposure.

A tube or racking cane with your thumb on the end works, but takes forever. if its the primary I wouldn't worry about it with the yeast still being active. You would have to make an effort to oxidize it by just taking samples.

For gravity readings, I just lower my hydrometer in with a string taped on it :)

I do have a wine thief but I am trying to come up with something where I can insert a tube through the airlock hole on the stopper so I can limit possibilities of contamination. Actually I like your idea bolts. Never thought of that.

For gravity readings, I just lower my hydrometer in with a string taped on it :)

Its all good until you pull that hydrometer up and it bounces on the side of the fermenter in just that right way, causing the hydrometer to shatter and rain metal (lead?) pellets down into your beer.

For the OP: You contamination risk from the air is pretty small, especially after fermentation has take off...

Large veterinary syringe with a piece to tubing jammed over the end will do the trick. maybe 3/16" tubing?

i use some silicone air tubing for aquariums. boil it before you use to sanitize. this tubing fits directly onto all syringes with Luer-Lok or Luer-Slip connections (which is almost all common syringes), and fits directly down the center tube of a 3 piece airlock. then i just use a 10ml syringe to draw a sample.

Wine thief. Not sure if they all fit in the neck of all carboys, but.......wine thief.

Back