Syracuse, ny - round 7 group grain buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed up the SN Celebration Ale today, man it smelled amazing while boiling. Used TF optic as the base malt, so interested to see how that turns out.

as am i, it did smell and look amazing!

Oh, how cruel. I just kicked my keg. :(
[Brewed 1/6/2012, my first batch of 2012. Can't believe how fast I killed this one. (I have a couple/few bottles of it left that I bottled from keg.) But, I just put the Bell's Two Hearted in my Keezer, it should be ready to go in a few days/one week. Next up in the line up was to be an attempt at Troeg's Nugget Nectar, but tempted to just do a re-brew of this one.]

mmmmm, nugget nectar, one of my favorites! cant wait to find this seasons on the shelf!

well guys, thought i would relay.... Brewing today!!!!!!!!!!

On for today
Kate the Great
Barleywine

On Deck
Scottish ale wee heavy

Possibly
IIPA or something along those lines!

cidah, how long did you mash your kate the great? it says 45 min on there, but im thinking of going for 90 becuase the temp is so low.

45 minutes into the boil for Celebration #2. Trying out the new hopstopper from Kal today. Will be interesting to see how it does with 5.75 ounces of pellets. Up next is Denny's Wry Smile. Have a good day guys.

45 minutes into the boil for Celebration #2. Trying out the new hopstopper from Kal today. Will be interesting to see how it does with 5 ounces of pellets. Up next is Denny's Wry Smile. Have a good day guys.

man you are killing me. I won't be able to brew for at least three more weeks!

enjoy!

I can brew for a few weeks either. All 18 of my kegs are filled, plus 2 of my carboys. Need to wait til something kicks before I brew anything else.

I can brew for a few weeks either. All 18 of my kegs are filled, plus 2 of my carboys. Need to wait til something kicks before I brew anything else.

ha very nice work... I need to catch up once we get done fabricating. In the spirit of the new control rig build we tore down the diamond pattern on our stand and replaced it with a straight bar (will post a picture at some point). The cool part is that it is all coming together and it looks likw we are destined to have a pretty ridiculous rig soon!

What recipe are you going with?

im going with something i kinda created from 2-3 recipes.... i kinda know what i like for this style and what im looking for so i made a recipe torwards that.

after i brew it and test it ill post a recipe.

Spent some time tonight and put together a Hop Spider. Just need to pick up a nylon bag for it and it will be done!

426613_600488389507_21600820_32009868_1896473183_n.jpg

Also got bored and decided to tile the bottom of my brewpot area with some left over tile I had from a bathroom project. Only took me 30 mins to lay down too.

photo_13_1.JPG

Think I might even do the back wall if I have enough.

Nice - looks like all these ebuilds have pushed everyone into a hardware mode (Jeff you have been adding on like crazy :D). I like to see us encourage each other into insanity!

So I am thinking about adding a hood to my setup, but trying to figure out the best way to do it. It's little more difficult since I have to deal with not only steam, but a lot more heat than a E-Brewery due to the mega burner I own. Any ideas? Wood box lined with 1/4" tile board? Rather not spend a ton of money on the design.

45 minutes into the boil for Celebration #2. Trying out the new hopstopper from Kal today. Will be interesting to see how it does with 5.75 ounces of pellets. Up next is Denny's Wry Smile. Have a good day guys.

How did the hopstopper work?

jeffb418 said:
So I am thinking about adding a hood to my setup, but trying to figure out the best way to do it. It's little more difficult since I have to deal with not only steam, but a lot more heat than a E-Brewery due to the mega burner I own. Any ideas? Wood box lined with 1/4" tile board? Rather not spend a ton of money on the design.

I like the inverted rubbermaid tote idea.

How did the hopstopper work?

Yeah it worked pretty well. I came up 1 quart short (left in the pot) although I drained with the valve wide open. Thinking if I restrict the flow it might do better. The wort was really clear. Been checking out your build. The stand and hood look really awesome. Did you buy Kal's control box kit?

Hey cidah, can you build me one of those? :)
Maybe we could do a group buy on parts and have Cidah assemble them! :)

Thanks guys :D

haha - I actually really enjoyed the wiring part. the fabrication is the trickiest. As my dad says,... measure twice, cut once.

How come we couldn;t have done the group buy on parts BEFORE I did my build haha!

Jeff do you know how hot your hood are gets when you brew? Have you temped it? Was thinking you want to be sure to go with something that will stand up to that heat. I would be wary of using anything plastic unless it has heat ratings

Jeff do you know how hot your hood are gets when you brew? Have you temped it? Was thinking you want to be sure to go with something that will stand up to that heat. I would be wary of using anything plastic unless it has heat ratings

I abandoned the hood idea. I have no easy way to vent it outside due to how my garage is built (cinder-block walls). So I am just going to get some more hardibacker tile board to line the ceiling area above my brew pot then use some galvanized sheet metal on top of that to make it look nice. Lowes sells 3ft by 4 ft sheets of it in the heater/ducting area for like $9 a sheet. Then I'll just use a fan to circulate air in and out of my garage.

I abandoned the hood idea. I have no easy way to vent it outside due to how my garage is built (cinder-block walls). So I am just going to get some more hardibacker tile board to line the ceiling area above my brew pot then use some galvanized sheet metal on top of that to make it look nice. Lowes sells 3ft by 4 ft sheets of it in the heater/ducting area for like $9 a sheet. Then I'll just use a fan to circulate air in and out of my garage.

I wish I could find it, but short of going a full hood a guy was using an expander off of one of those hydroponic vent fans and it worked well according to him. So expander, length of 6'' ducting and then an inline blower with more ducting to vent out of the space. He kept the expander close to, but not over the pot. It created enough suction to pull the water vapor into the vent tubing withing having to go the full hood route.

I may do something similar because I want to be able to brew outside and in. If I can make something compact like that I can attach or detach to the brew rig depending on if I need it or not. Winter or rain I would use the vent. Good weather = no vent and rig wheeled out of my walk out basement.

Jeff,
Check out this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/ventless-condensation-hood-297089/ where they are doing a DYI condensation system similar to what commercial breweries use. The general idea is you spray (cold) water on the steam and collect it and let it run out a drain (or put to some other use).

Jeff,
Check out this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/ventless-condensation-hood-297089/ where they are doing a DYI condensation system similar to what commercial breweries use. The general idea is you spray (cold) water on the steam and collect it and let it run out a drain (or put to some other use).

Yeah I saw that. Neat Idea. I'm not as concerned with the steam but more of the heat. In the winter its not bad, but the garage does get warm. I'm worried that in the summer my garage is gonna be COOKING when I get my banjo burner going inside, even with the doors open all the way.

Yeah I saw that. Neat Idea. I'm not as concerned with the steam but more of the heat. In the winter its not bad, but the garage does get warm. I'm worried that in the summer my garage is gonna be COOKING when I get my banjo burner going inside, even with the doors open all the way.

Holy monkey yeah. The banjo burners have really high btus. I know with my burner it is 180K btus. That is why I would never use it in contact with anything but concrete or pavement (mine sounds like a jet engine :)). If we use our burner to direct fire something for a 5-10 minutes the legs for the burner get hotter than a $2 pistol. That was why we really started to push into the eherms concept lately to maintain the mash temps vs. our original plan to direct fire the MT if needed during a mash.

You still get the heat with an eherms but it is less apparent because the heat is all going into the wort and not glancing off the pot and acting like a space heater. If you aren't concerned about steam you have a lot of options with even standard box fans strategically placed to induce airflow in the summer. Cheaper than those vortex fans and... will certainly work.

Holy monkey yeah. The banjo burners have really high btus. I know with my burner it is 180K btus. That is why I would never use it in contact with anything but concrete or pavement (mine sounds like a jet engine :)). If we use our burner to direct fire something for a 5-10 minutes the legs for the burner get hotter than a $2 pistol. That was why we really started to push into the eherms concept lately to maintain the mash temps vs. our original plan to direct fire the MT if needed during a mash.

You still get the heat with an eherms but it is less apparent because the heat is all going into the wort and not glancing off the pot and acting like a space heater. If you aren't concerned about steam you have a lot of options with even standard box fans strategically placed to induce airflow in the summer. Cheaper than those vortex fans and... will certainly work.

Yeah I'm using a vortex right now. Those things are awesome!

Oh we are talking about a different style of fan (I am talking about the hydroponic fans). I am going to be looking at the inline fans with a duct set up of some kind. But that can wait until next fall... I have a few more pressing fish to fry!

I do have a gable vent fan 15'' that I plan on putting in the garage for rainy brew days. that thing is a ripper!

Back