Syracuse, ny - round 6 group grain buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is the pickup for this order going to be in the syracuse area or out by rochester?

Also, everyone should get a sack of Golden Promise at somepoint. It's a great malt for any style where you want a clean, full flavored, and malty grain character. I love it in dry stouts, Am. browns, and of course Scottish stuff but it also makes one hell of an APA/IPA.

Jeff - for some reason I can't add a new split to the sheet TF-GPRM; do you have to add it? Says the cells are protected.

You should be able to enter it. But make sure you were entering it on the first sheet and not "Locked-Pricing-Splits". The pricing pages are locked.

I added it for ya, so go ahead and enter your split amount.

For the pilsen - I freakin' love the sam adams summer ale clone. that was a crowd favorite at the cider fest, can't count the number of times people came up to me, unsolicited, saying... you brewed this!? (see the last post for my take on it) Also you could go the route of trying a lager!

With the Munich you could work on a dunkel - or even some of the pilsners out there use a bit.

I plan on adding several more bags as I am going through stuff, like malted wheat, flaked barley, and maybe some golden promise. I had been looking at that stuff for a while but was looking to try it out. Maybe a 50/50 split? I know bierhaus likes this stuff too.

I actually had the real Sam Adam's summer in my kegalator prior to doing my first brew. Pretty nice and the BMC crowd also likes it. That recipe looks good and I am just about ready to do another wheat beer!

Also, I will go in for the other half of the golden promise split.

Is the pickup for this order going to be in the syracuse area or out by rochester?

Also, everyone should get a sack of Golden Promise at somepoint. It's a great malt for any style where you want a clean, full flavored, and malty grain character. I love it in dry stouts, Am. browns, and of course Scottish stuff but it also makes one hell of an APA/IPA.

I vote for east of Syracuse! (How does the Albany area sound :) )

Regarding the Golden Promise, sounds good.

I actually had the real Sam Adam's summer in my kegalator prior to doing my first brew. Pretty nice and the BMC crowd also likes it. That recipe looks good and I am just about ready to do another wheat beer!

Also, I will go in for the other half of the golden promise split.

Yeah the BMC crowd was wowed. And the craft beer drinking crowd liked it a lot, but stuck to the SOS IPA I made. :D That said, it is full flavored, and I think with this brew, once it sits for 4-6 weeks it is unreal fresh. I think that the people who say sam adams summer ale is ok but nothing special drank a 4+ months old version of it. I think the lemon gets muted over time and that is the key to balancing the grains of paradise.

Jumped in on the Amber split as well as the golden promise (tot is 18 bags)

Not sure yet about location but jhenderson most likely will be into the racing season when this closes i.e. he won't be able to accept this. Plan is to have some place for pick up in or within 20 miles from Syracuse.

Right now we might have one possible spot in east Syracuse but that could be 50/50 because it is a family business address and the guy offering would really need to:

1. Confirm it is ok to do it (make sure it won't obstruct business functions).
2. Make sure people were able to pick up their grain ASAP after it arrives so it would not impede business functions.

I may be able to take the order, but spring is tough for me as well as I start my planting (soil prep, tilling, hauling amendment material) and pruning in my mini orchard, rasp patches, blueberries etc. I also have a clearing project that I am planning on doing that will take a lot of time on the weekends. You get the point :D

So if there are people that are in the Syracuse area that might be able to accept, then please get in touch with me.

***One things we did REALLY well last time was getting the grain out of jhenderson's hands ASAP. This is something that we will have to continue to do going forward as to not inconvenience the receiver's of the shipment***

It would be nice to keep it out near Rochester so that we can pick up the Buffalo people. Helps really boost the buy it seemed. But I wont complain if its in Syracuse =)

It seems that generally we are able to arrange carpooling to benefit the masses. So location is less important that I thought it would be. However it does seem to go in cycles and I think it was group buy 3 that albany was representing big buys, and maybe #2 was Rochester. Though in general I think we had most of our over all participation from the cuse area

Anybody brewing this weekend? I am hoping that I get to, but I think it will be replaced with (hopefully) welding up the brew rig. But for brewing next on my list are celebration and pilsner urquel - the pilsner clone keeps getting pushed back! Of course I need to do a couple rebrews on the oatmeal stout and another stout TBD....

I was wanting to brew my golden shower IPEEA this weekend but I guess I'm heading to Syracuse to hit abc reef and dinosaur BBQ. Instead!

What type of sours? I make a good berliner weisse and have a half dozen or so one gallon batches of various sours going at the moment. However, besides from the berliner, I've not done a whole lot of adding specific brett/pedio cultures to the beer. I've always just added dregs from commerical and homebrew versions. This month I'll be brewing two sour saisons though, starting with the individual cultures.

Anybody brewing this weekend?

I am doing my wee heavy this Sunday. I do not have a garage so any weekend with decent weather I will be out there doing my thing. 4 liter starter is on the stir plate and will be ready for Sunday. Cheers.

I want to do a Flanders for myself. Swmbo wants some type of fruit lambic. I've done a little reading is there anything they you folks have read that might point me into the right direction for these styles?

No problem here you go.

Recipe: Dan's Wee Heavy
Strong Scotch Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (41.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.25 gal
Boil Size: 8.53 gal
Estimated OG: 1.093 SG
Estimated Color: 15.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 20.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 120 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
17 lbs 4.0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 92.59 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.37 %
4.0 oz Peat Smoked Malt (2.8 SRM) Grain 1.34 %
2.0 oz Black Barley (Stout) (500.0 SRM) Grain 0.70 %
1.00 oz Challenger [7.70%] (60 min) Hops 16.7 IBU
0.50 oz Fuggles [3.60 %] (15 min) Hops 2.5 IBU
0.50 oz Fuggles [3.60 %] (5 min) Hops 1.0 IBU
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Edinburgh Ale (White Labs #WLP028)
or
1 Pkgs Scottish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1728)

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 18.63 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 5.78 gal of water at 165.4 F 150.0 F

Notes:
------
Make a large starter. Shooting for 330 billion cells

Optional: Boil a portion of the first runnings, reduce to a syrup add back to kettle.

Optional: Oak aging

No problem here you go.

Recipe: Dan's Wee Heavy
Strong Scotch Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (41.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.25 gal
Boil Size: 8.53 gal
Estimated OG: 1.093 SG
Estimated Color: 15.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 20.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 120 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
17 lbs 4.0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 92.59 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.37 %
4.0 oz Peat Smoked Malt (2.8 SRM) Grain 1.34 %
2.0 oz Black Barley (Stout) (500.0 SRM) Grain 0.70 %
1.00 oz Challenger [7.70%] (60 min) Hops 16.7 IBU
0.50 oz Fuggles [3.60 %] (15 min) Hops 2.5 IBU
0.50 oz Fuggles [3.60 %] (5 min) Hops 1.0 IBU
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Edinburgh Ale (White Labs #WLP028)
or
1 Pkgs Scottish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1728)

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 18.63 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 5.78 gal of water at 165.4 F 150.0 F

Notes:
------
Make a large starter. Shooting for 330 billion cells

Optional: Boil a portion of the first runnings, reduce to a syrup add back to kettle.

Optional: Oak aging

Looks tasty!

That looks really good CBK. Have you made this before? I think i'll give it a shot. I don't have black barley, can I sub in roasted?

Roasted barley should should work fine. I have made this several times. Entered this beer in the HBT comp last year. Scored a 41 in the final round and took first place for category 9.

I might chase your wee heavy recipe too - never made or tried one. So looking forward to a challenge!

Still on the quest to brew every type of beer :D

I'll be kegging my first wee heavy tomorrow although it's a little under the abv I was shooting for

What recipe did you use twogunz? Any commercial versions you guys recc? I would like to try one.

My double demi fermentation chamber for ales works awesome (thanks for the link to the one stage temp controller twogunz!) Used it on the UBU clone I made last weekend and it was able to chill the brew as it ramped up and maintain 68F and then I switched it to heating to keep it at 68F

Rohrbachs here in the roc makes a very good scotch ale. All the Wegmans stores in the area sell growlers. Do not know if available in your area but if you get a chance it is worth trying.

I used a recipe I put together a couple months ago with some of the hops I had on hand. Looking at it now I might change it a bit and I haven't tasted it yet so I'm reluctant to steer you wrong :) I'll sample it on the way into the keg and see.

CBK said:
Rohrbachs here in the roc makes a very good scotch ale. All the Wegmans stores in the area sell growlers. Do not know if available in your area but if you get a chance it is worth trying.

I might stop up and see if they have some yeast to donate......

Old chub from Oskar is a good scotch ale to try. And while not necessarily a heavy, Innis and Gunn are great, particularly the rum barrel aged one- very smooth

Speaking of Rohrbachs, if anyone has had their Nightfrost Porter (served at Beers of the World) I have a recipe for it. I contacted the head brewer and he gave me the recipe for it. It needs alittle bit of tweaking but its getting closer.

jeffb418 said:
Speaking of Rohrbachs, if anyone has had their Nightfrost Porter (served at Beers of the World) I have a recipe for it. I contacted the head brewer and he gave me the recipe for it. It needs alittle bit of tweaking but its getting closer.

I'd like to give it a shot

Uh-Oh think I'm in trouble. Brewing my wee heavy and made a slight change to my sparging procedure. Was anticipating a pre boil gravity 1.063 hit 1.077. Checked this 3 times to verify. We shall see where this actually ends up for OG. Wish me luck.

CBK said:
Uh-Oh think I'm in trouble. Brewing my wee heavy and made a slight change to my sparging procedure. Was anticipating a pre boil gravity 1.063 hit 1.077. Checked this 3 times to verify. We shall see where this actually ends up for OG. Wish me luck.

It'll be just a wee bit heavier! Should be ok for the style, might just need to sit on it a little longer

I'd like to give it a shot

This is the email I got from Mitch (brewer at Rohrbach)

Here's a rough idea of the recipe if you want to try a homebrew batch:

Pale - 79%
Crystal 65 - 5%
Chocolate - 6%
Amber - 5%
Vienna - 5%
Roasted Barley - 1%

Northern Brewer @ 60 minutes for approximately 18 IBUs

Shoot for an original gravity of 1.060 and a terminal gravity of 1.018.

In secondary fermentation, toss in a few vanilla beans and some cherry puree!

I'd be interested in a 1/3 or 1/4 split of TF-CRY65 (thomas fawcett c60L). It is much different tasting than your standard american c60, for those of you interested.

I'd be interested in a 1/3 or 1/4 split of TF-CRY65 (thomas fawcett c60L). It is much different tasting than your standard american c60, for those of you interested.

That's just mean. I have a basement full of c15, c40, c60, carapils, amber, chocolate, aromatic, wheat, rye, rice, corn, vienna, munich, 2row, otter, ...

I'd go for 1/4. :mad:

Back