Syracuse, ny - round 6 group grain buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or for those of us that don't do starters yet?

just pitch two liquid yeast vials or you can go with 2 safale 05 pouches for dry.

Starters are easy though. if you want to know how to do them let us know and someone can help. I use washed yeast, and that means I don't have to make starters very often, but I use liquid yeast in the correct pitching amount - which rocks (and saves me a lot of money on yeast).

Also as an update - the price for the nitro fill up for the 23cu tank was $30 even.

Thanks, I've got my stir plate almost done. Need to find a jar big enough or a beaker for cheap.

one gallon jugs work great, and are cheap. I use the gallon growlers as mini wine fermenters and for my starters.

just pitch two liquid yeast vials or you can go with 2 safale 05 pouches for dry.

Starters are easy though. if you want to know how to do them let us know and someone can help. I use washed yeast, and that means I don't have to make starters very often, but I use liquid yeast in the correct pitching amount - which rocks (and saves me a lot of money on yeast).

Also as an update - the price for the nitro fill up for the 23cu tank was $30 even.

Just finished upgrading my kegorator for the nitro setup... just need the gas tank filled! Hopefully they will get to it tomorrow!

Just finished upgrading my kegorator for the nitro setup... just need the gas tank filled! Hopefully they will get to it tomorrow!

Awesome - let me know how your pours turn out! There is a slim chance that I will get my regulator stuff today at the end of the day. But since kegconnection never fixed the shipping delivery they screwed up, I doubt I will get my stuff until after the holiday :(

Awesome - let me know how your pours turn out! There is a slim chance that I will get my regulator stuff today at the end of the day. But since kegconnection never fixed the shipping delivery they screwed up, I doubt I will get my stuff until after the holiday :(

302689_578496626177_21600820_31933469_1189231381_n.jpg

Nitro setup finished! Just got my tank back from Haun. Mmmm double chocolate stout goodness!

Nitro setup finished! Just got my tank back from Haun. Mmmm double chocolate stout goodness!

NICE! I am going to be kegging my deception cream stout this weekend... and hoping, and hoping,... my regulator comes in today!

What are you serving it at PSI wise? getting the 1.2minute cascade with 1'' foam? :D

NICE! I am going to be kegging my deception cream stout this weekend... and hoping, and hoping,... my regulator comes in today!

What are you serving it at PSI wise? getting the 1.2minute cascade with 1'' foam? :D

Its taking more than 2 minutes to cascade and the head isnt as creamy as I would like. Wondering if the keg I put on is under-carbonated. I was worried I over carbonated it and have been pulling pressure off the keg all week, but I think I might have went too far. I'll leave it on the beergas at 30 PSI and see what it does in a day or so. I did extend my serving line to about 18 ft just to add more line resistance.

Any thoughts?

Its taking more than 2 minutes to cascade and the head isnt as creamy as I would like. Wondering if the keg I put on is under-carbonated. I was worried I over carbonated it and have been pulling pressure off the keg all week, but I think I might have went too far. I'll leave it on the beergas at 30 PSI and see what it does in a day or so. I did extend my serving line to about 18 ft just to add more line resistance.

Any thoughts?

Well I am a novice at this one too and was just going off what I was reading. It might be the carb though (I have been burping my 1/2 keg of Guinness clone all week so I am sure I will be in a similar boat).

I would guess that if there isn't enough creamy head, it might need more line restriction or maybe needs more carb? I think a few days or week on the gas will tell you. What temp are you serving at (refridge temp)

Well I am a novice at this one too and was just going off what I was reading. It might be the carb though (I have been burping my 1/2 keg of Guinness clone all week so I am sure I will be in a similar boat).

I would guess that if there isn't enough creamy head, it might need more line restriction or maybe needs more carb? I think a few days or week on the gas will tell you. What temp are you serving at (refridge temp)

Yeah the head seems to have larger bubbles and dies fast. And reading online says thats due to under-carb. So I'll let it sit for a day and try again.

My serving fridge is a hacked double door fridge. I moved the thermostat sensor into the freezer side and drilled holes out in the middle to allow air to move back and forth. This setup causes the freezer side to be cooler than the other. I have 2 kegs in the freezer side at 38-40 deg, and 2 kegs on the fridge side at 44-46. The stout is in the 44-46 side. The only issue is the winter.... the fridge is in my garage, so as it gets colder all bets are off. I have moved it to a wall that is shared with the house so it does keep it alittle warmer and so far nothing has frozen.

Any update on the keg buy? I see keg connection is going to have their A grade kegs for $30 this weekend with cheap or free shipping.... tempting

Same to you guys! I shared my fresh keg of saison with my family and it was a hit. I'm a bit surprised it went over so well as it has a definite yeast character that sometimes takes getting used to... Quite tastey tho :)

Happy thanksgiving gents! Brought in my thankfulness by making a few taps handles - will post pictures of them later!

Hope it was good for you guys. Might brew tomorrow.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Cidah, have my starter for your celebration recipe on the stirplate. Looking forward to my brew day Sunday.:mug:

Happy brewing Thanksgiving day to all.

I didn't have to cook today...so I brewed. Captain Hooked on Bitters. Also I baked (last night) spent grains bread....turned out pretty nice. I did get to provide the beers (plus bread) for dinner, favorite of some folks was the Mirror Pond Ale and some other Red Rocket Ale.

Also, spent time yesterday (and a little today) sealing grains from the latest buy.

I missed out on brewing today, but it was for the greater good. Installed my new taps!! Let me say, I already know that having those 4 taps on the towers upstairs was the right choice. It is awesome to have that kind of selection at your finger tips. I racked a couple brews and clean the fermenters and put my wild grape wine on oak. Not a bad run!

Will post a few pics later of the new set up.

CBK - I hope that recipe rocks. I plan on trying to get that one in this weekend, if possible :)

Pics pics pics!

I tapped a new keg of oatmeal stout tonight that I had brewed with well water at our cottage and it tasted so much better than the one I did at home... It's unreal. I used S04 instead of Notty this batch but I think the water must have really made the difference. It's a lot smoother.

OK here are the pictures of the new setup as well as the two taps I made. One a stick that I polyed and another a wild boar, which in polish is pronounced "jeek". Pretty sure I am going to always put my IPAs on the "jeek" tap.

Love oatmeal stout - can't wait to rebrew that ;)

IMG_5219.jpg

IMG_5220.jpg

IMG_5221.jpg

IMG_5222.jpg

I wasn't able to drum up any more immediate interest on my end through my friends. I think, estimate to round numbers and start with that. Good luck with the bargaining!

Really kind of tight, money wise, here. Prolly would pull the trigger on 4-6 if the price gets to $15. Waiting to see what number you come back with.

I would say based on the numbers (smashing I added you for 4 kegs), I think we have a solid 80-100 at $15 a pop. I would try to go that route and see where it ends up. I am sure he won;t got to $15- but I hope so!

Also.... I have to say, I had my deception cream stout and Guinness clone on gas for about 4 days and finally set it up to try it... holy crap... nitro taps are worth their weight in gold. Keep in mind that I was serving the Guinness on co2 so now I can comment on the difference.

People say that you only need to push with N - that is B.S. the N does something to the brew for sure, aside from co2. There is a creamy / smoothness that it adds. I destroyed some of the stuff tonight and thing a 60cu tank of the beergas will be in the works at the next refill.

If you love stouts... you need to get a nitro setup. I fought it for a while but man that was some silly fighting. this beer is unreal on the nitro vs. the straight up co2.

JUst and update for me.. finally got an apptment down here, sick of living in a hotel already haha.... if we get those kegs i will def be brewing some beer up at home and bringing it down here to drink!

it was nicer there than down here today (charleston, SC high - 55, Syracuse 60(something))

I just tacked on another 2row - 16 bags

Good to hear the move went well! All you need is a cooler and a party tap :)

Added a bag of Golden Promise (TF-GPRM) to my order.

What do you like to brew with this?

I'm in the process of sealing the grains from the group buy and inventoring my stash. I'll try to post some pics when all done, I've used a sh_t load of vacuum sealer roll as I've been putting base grains in 2# bags, specialty grains (like crystal, carapils, etc.) in 1# bags. I had to order some more rolls (considerably cheaper on the internet vs getting it from Wally World etc.)

In the process, I noticed I was down to about 30-35 pounds of 2 row, and have been quickly working my way through the round 5 Marris Otter I bought. :( I do have a full sack of Munich, a bunch of Pilsen and Munich so I would be interested in favorites from the crowd that use those base grains!

I also ordered the GE 7.0 cu ft freezer from HD ($159, free delivery) black-Friday special. While it won't get here for a while (and I was too lazy to face the Black Friday crowds and get it in the store), once I have it set up I will have 6+ keg capacity: 3 in my old converted fridge (in the basement) and 3+ in the new to-be-built keezer.

What do you like to brew with this?

I'm in the process of sealing the grains from the group buy and inventoring my stash. I'll try to post some pics when all done, I've used a sh_t load of vacuum sealer roll as I've been putting base grains in 2# bags, specialty grains (like crystal, carapils, etc.) in 1# bags. I had to order some more rolls (considerably cheaper on the internet vs getting it from Wally World etc.)

In the process, I noticed I was down to about 30-35 pounds of 2 row, and have been quickly working my way through the round 5 Marris Otter I bought. :( I do have a full sack of Munich, a bunch of Pilsen and Munich so I would be interested in favorites from the crowd that use those base grains!

I also ordered the GE 7.0 cu ft freezer from HD ($159, free delivery) black-Friday special. While it won't get here for a while (and I was too lazy to face the Black Friday crowds and get it in the store), once I have it set up I will have 6+ keg capacity: 3 in my old converted fridge (in the basement) and 3+ in the new to-be-built keezer.

For the pilsen - I freakin' love the sam adams summer ale clone. that was a crowd favorite at the cider fest, can't count the number of times people came up to me, unsolicited, saying... you brewed this!? (see the last post for my take on it) Also you could go the route of trying a lager!

With the Munich you could work on a dunkel - or even some of the pilsners out there use a bit.

I plan on adding several more bags as I am going through stuff, like malted wheat, flaked barley, and maybe some golden promise. I had been looking at that stuff for a while but was looking to try it out. Maybe a 50/50 split? I know bierhaus likes this stuff too.

Damn that's a lot of kegs! I'm saving up now for the next order. I'm looking at maybe 4 or 5 full bags and a couple of splits. We'll see how things really work out though.

Jeff - for some reason I can't add a new split to the sheet TF-GPRM; do you have to add it? Says the cells are protected.

copyright - any hefe recipe would also be a place you can use your pilsner in. pilsner and 2 row are pretty interchangeable. However I would say you get more malty flavor from pilsner than 2row if it is a straight forward low hooped brew), so you want to keep that in mind based on your brew you choose. A cream ale would possible be a good place to use it as well.

Back