Syracuse, ny - round 5 group grain buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont know if he will guarantee the orings. These things are just sitting. He must have just bought them up from pepsi and coke when they stopped using them. If I can work out a deal maybe someone from up that way could meet me down here and help me pick through them and find the best ones. From what I could see they are in good shape. I will take some pictures when I'm there.

i dont have a problem replacing o-rings if we get the kegs for cheap... mcmaster is the way to go if you need to do that!

New o-rings are no big deal and to be expected, but of the last 3 I bought (the only ones I've ever bought that weren't pressurized from the start), no amount of new o-rings, lids, posts, poppets or straightening out the lips could make them hold pressure. I saved a few bucks over retail, but ended up with 3 worthless kegs...

Yeah I understand that it's not worth saving a few bucks if you end up with a worthless piece of scrap. If we go forward with this I will personally inspect any kegs before purchase for dents, dings, etc.

I'd be interested in some kegs as long as they're cheap and in good condition.

I'm hoping to brew 2 batches tomorrow. I blew my ankle out playing basketball this past week and can barely walk but I think I'm going to try making me some beer. Lifting my kettles might be a challenge but if I'm going to be less mobile for a little while, I'm going to need more beer!

Plus the holidays are coming and they bring thirsty guests.

I would be interested in the keg deal. Put me in for 3 or 4 depending on price.

I even wouldn't mind driving down to do a pickup.

Few things:

-cidah should we wait to send the money?
-due to the early arrival of my firstborn I'm not going to be able to do a pickup for anyone. I most likely will ask a friend to go pickup in my place.
-I'm interested in a few kegs. Maybe up to ten depending on the price

so... question to you guys...

i have to make a starter.... for denny's bourbon vanilla porter

Which yeast should i use wyeast 1450 (denny's) or wyeast 1056 (american ale)

That big rich pkrter i gave you and cidah was that recipe, no burbon on 1056, no starter, 1 pack incubated room temp for 5 hours.

That big rich pkrter i gave you and cidah was that recipe, no burbon on 1056, no starter, 1 pack incubated room temp for 5 hours.

ok, well i have to make a starter.. lol (making it from a slant)

what did you mash at? im keep finding conflicting ideas for the temp

iv seen 150, 153, 154, 155

and the recipe that denny posted is for an OG of 1.087

Yup, mine was 9.1% calculated off brewzor. I mashed at 153-4. Kept at a perfect 66* during ferment. I dont believe u need a starter but happy brewing, mine came out great, still got 8 bottles @ 1 year aging.

so... question to you guys...

i have to make a starter.... for denny's bourbon vanilla porter

Which yeast should i use wyeast 1450 (denny's) or wyeast 1056 (american ale)

I have 1056 (WLP 001) for the recipe - brewing it next weekend!! Its funny Rust, you and I seem to be on the same pursuits haha. Great minds think alike!

I was planning on masshing at 153+ so 153-154 as jhenderson said. Most of my porters have been 154 ish and I figured I would roll with 154F and let it drop to 153 ish over the mash.

Cider. I typically do a 13-14 psi and I forget the temp of my keezer. However I think you should shoot for no less than 2.3 volumes. I think the 2.3-2.6 range is perfect.

Sorry I have been aloof - in addition to the brewing I was getting everything prepped for winter here. Also, I started a Raspberry melomel and carmel apple cyser. Plan on cranking out a JAOM this week and maybe a Ginger or Chai mead too. plan on some serious brewing this weekend as well. I brewed with my pump and holy crap that was awesome. Can't wait to get the rig set up, it worked really well and I was able to relax!

Oh yeah - bottled an elderberry wine and all my dandelion wine!

Busy busy this weekend

As for the money stuff that is up to you all, pay now or pay later. At this point you might better hold off until we resolve this Monday. I still think we can get this order in before the end of the week

I have 1056 (WLP 001) for the recipe - brewing it next weekend!! Its funny Rust, you and I seem to be on the same pursuits haha. Great minds think alike!

I was planning on masshing at 153+ so 153-154 as jhenderson said. Most of my porters have been 154 ish and I figured I would roll with 154F and let it drop to 153 ish over the mash.

Cider. I typically do a 13-14 psi and I forget the temp of my keezer. However I think you should shoot for no less than 2.3 volumes. I think the 2.3-2.6 range is perfect.

Sorry I have been aloof - in addition to the brewing I was getting everything prepped for winter here. Also, I started a Raspberry melomel and carmel apple cyser. Plan on cranking out a JAOM this week and maybe a Ginger or Chai mead too. plan on some serious brewing this weekend as well. I brewed with my pump and holy crap that was awesome. Can't wait to get the rig set up, it worked really well and I was able to relax!

Oh yeah - bottled an elderberry wine and all my dandelion wine!

Busy busy this weekend

As for the money stuff that is up to you all, pay now or pay later. At this point you might better hold off until we resolve this Monday. I still think we can get this order in before the end of the week

HAHAHAHAHA, i was just looking at mead recipes and things of that nature. i was just looking at different types of honey and a buckwheat mead sounds good....

Im doing that caramel apple cider recipe that is in the cider recipe area... that is funny if its similar to the one your doing. This one im bottling still in wine bottles. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f81/caramel-apple-cider-235368/ I tasted this today.. and wow is it good/ still high in gravity but i was just seeing where everything was... (was about 1.035-40)

im planed on doing that brew this week/next weekend due to not having the yeast ready yet.

the reason why i asked about the cider is that some of my "tests" are right at the SG i want 1.020 waiting another day for 1.018. but i wanted to bottle them up since its only like 8 bottles 1 gallon batches and then pasteurize them... But i was going to add priming sugar to get it up to that.. and so i know what CO2 level im looking for while testing.

HAHAHAHAHA, i was just looking at mead recipes and things of that nature. i was just looking at different types of honey and a buckwheat mead sounds good....

Im doing that caramel apple cider recipe that is in the cider recipe area... that is funny if its similar to the one your doing. This one im bottling still in wine bottles. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f81/caramel-apple-cider-235368/ I tasted this today.. and wow is it good/ still high in gravity but i was just seeing where everything was... (was about 1.035-40)

im planed on doing that brew this week/next weekend due to not having the yeast ready yet.

the reason why i asked about the cider is that some of my "tests" are right at the SG i want 1.020 waiting another day for 1.018. but i wanted to bottle them up since its only like 8 bottles 1 gallon batches and then pasteurize them... But i was going to add priming sugar to get it up to that.. and so i know what CO2 level im looking for while testing.

if you stop fermentation, then add sugar to prime you can get bottle bombs unless you heat pasteurize them (it will ferment dry). Is that what you plan on doing?

I would carb them close to a lager. You might even want to carb them with the carbonator cap and a 2 liter soda bottle; that way you don't have to use a keg to carb just a few bottles!

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f80/caramel-apple-mead-68519/ this is the carmel apple mead I made

p.s. - I am planning on doing a buckwheat mead, but haven't found the recipe I like yet. right now I ahve 5 meads/cysers planned and have 2 down - 3 to go! Of course I have to do JOAM!

FINAL PRICING!!!

Ok everyone, looks like there was a significant rate hike on the grain; about 17%+ across the board. Luckily for us I overestimated the shipping rate (so the change wasn't too drastic); however they forgot to add a service fee for pallet jack and lift gate. In the future I think we should shoot for two pallets per order. This will offset some of the price increase by reducing our shipping (our per bag ship rate was about $4.84; with two pallets we could get that down to about $3.8 per bag in the future which would just about fully offset the rate hikes).

All in all the below is the final pricing:

CidahMastah $284.30
Buffalo Brewer $517.24
Bierhaus15 $49.84
Jhenderson27 $112.14
Copyright1997 $258.10
CBK $145.12
rustbucket $276.16
twogunz $182.74
drocu $175.33
stunsm $163.46
Jeffb418 $314.32
jbsengineer $161.47
Smashing $113.98
Mparsons327 $242.98
gergelgat $70.18

Buffalo Brewer $517.24 (($195.27))
Broken out:

Jason - $40.15 + 4.84 = $44.99
Andy - $70.40 + 9.68 = $80.08
Matt - $70.40 + 9.68 = $80.08
Jeff - $72.05 + 9.68 = $81.73
Kate - $30.25 + 4.84 = $35.09

if you stop fermentation, then add sugar to prime you can get bottle bombs unless you heat pasteurize them (it will ferment dry). Is that what you plan on doing?

basically i was going to let it carb up for a day or two.... (have a tester in a plastic bottle pepsi or coke) then once i figured out the carb i was going to heat pasteurize them the the top link up there... but i was going to do 190 for 20 minutes instead just as a safety to kill everything... (trying to keep them sweet, the 1/7 i have right now is right where i want it)

i planed on adding priming sugar, just so that the residual sugar left in the cider would not ferment out.... (or at least keep it at the same balance.) and if i get bottle bombs form this (its only 8-10 bottles and not cases) until i switch to my next one and ill re figure my plan

ill try and get my money to you tomorrow.... (doing the paypal transfer thing... prob drop cash off at your work/home or something)

basically i was going to let it carb up for a day or two.... (have a tester in a plastic bottle pepsi or coke) then once i figured out the carb i was going to heat pasteurize them the the top link up there... but i was going to do 190 for 20 minutes instead just as a safety to kill everything... (trying to keep them sweet, the 1/7 i have right now is right where i want it)

i planed on adding priming sugar, just so that the residual sugar left in the cider would not ferment out.... (or at least keep it at the same balance.) and if i get bottle bombs form this (its only 8-10 bottles and not cases) until i switch to my next one and ill re figure my plan

ill try and get my money to you tomorrow.... (doing the paypal transfer thing... prob drop cash off at your work/home or something)

Yeah no problem re: the coin.

Just be careful with that pasterization thing - lots of success and lots of bottle explosions on that thread ;)

CURRENT STATUS:

1. (COMPLETED) Collected 66 sacks of grain​
2. (COMPLETED)Our request for quote (RFQ) has been made​
3. (COMPLETED)We hear back from the buyer on actual cost (COMPLETED) I pass out the actual cost to everyone​
4. (PENDING)Everybody pays up (the order will NOT ship until everyone has paid via paypal)​
5. (PENDING)Once payed up (following the paypal instructions on page one of this thread) - the order will ship.​
6. (PENDING) CidahMastah will let everyone know when the shipment is to arrive (PENDING) and where it is shipping to (PENDING) , when to pick it up(PENDING) .​
7. (PENDING)We all slap high five and say job well done.​

All in all the below is the final pricing (bold green = PAID):

Buffalo Brewer $517.24
Jhenderson27 $112.14
CBK $145.12
rustbucket $276.16
twogunz $182.74
drocu $175.33
stunsm $163.46
Jeffb418 $314.32
jbsengineer $161.47
Smashing $113.98
Mparsons327 $242.98
gergelgat $70.18

CidahMastah $284.30
Bierhaus15 $49.84
Copyright1997 $258.10

FINAL PRICING!!!

Ok everyone, looks like there was a significant rate hike on the grain; about 17%+ across the board.

I just looked at their catalog on the website, there is a new one. Being the inquisitive person I am, I also see it (the new catalog) was created on 10/29 @ 6:37am. So, it appears we missed the lower (older) prices by only a few days. For instance, CM-2ROW went from $.49/# (2k#) to $.55/#, a 12.2% increase.

Food inflation anyone?

Ok just a heads up :

rustbucket: They didn't have any GW-VIEN; I subbed you out for BZ-VIEN (I think price will be the same - just note that when you pick up your grain)

PLEASE LET ME KNOW HOW YOU PLAN TO PAY (Money Order, Cashiers check, cash, personal check).

This will help jhenderson and I coordinate the payment with getting people's bags out to them in a timely fashion. Thanks!

All in all the below is the final pricing (bold green = PAID):

Buffalo Brewer $517.24 (Cashiers check - Pending Receipt)
Jhenderson27 $112.14 (Cash - pending receipt)
CBK $145.12 (Cashier's Check - Pending Receipt)
rustbucket $276.16 (Cash - Pending Receipt)
twogunz $182.74 (Cash/Cashiers Check - Pending Receipt)
stunsm $163.46 (Cashier's Check - Pending Receipt)
Smashing $113.98 (Money Order - Pending Receipt)
Mparsons327 $242.98 (Money Order - Pending Receipt)
drocu $175.33 (Trying Chase quickpay - Pending Receipt)
gergelgat $70.18
jbsengineer $161.47

CidahMastah
Bierhaus15
Copyright1997
Jeffb418

Ok just a heads up :

rustbucket: They didn't have any GW-VIEN; I subbed you out for BZ-VIEN (I think price will be the same - just note that when you pick up your grain)

ok sounds good... i wonder why the prices went up :confused: fuel has gone down... and the new crop should be just about in use or being used. not that i care so much just wondering...

I am off work today. Just pitched my yeast at 2:48 and checked my computer. Made it to the bank with 2 minutes to spare. Money order is on it's way via USPS. Once again thank you so much for all your time and effort to make this happen. 2 and2/3 bags of grain and a gallon of starsan for $145.00 is just awesome. Looking forward to the next buy this coming spring.:mug:

I am off work today. Just pitched my yeast at 2:48 and checked my computer. Made it to the bank with 2 minutes to spare. Money order is on it's way via USPS. Once again thank you so much for all your time and effort to make this happen. 2 and2/3 bags of grain and a gallon of starsan for $145.00 is just awesome. Looking forward to the next buy this coming spring.:mug:

No problem - glad to help!

I was saying that I already was wishing I had grabbed some more cm-2row to someone! haha But yeas, I am looking forward tot he spring as well. Thanks for rushing to mail that out.

FUTURE PAYMENT OPTIONS

We were a little late on this one, but I think next time around we can try using some of the other online payment services (amazon - https://payments.amazon.com/sdui/sdui/personal/money). Maybe chase (https://www.chase.com/online/services/quickpay.htm).

I am thinking since amazon is pretty common for most folks, we should try that. To figure out how they transfered the money I am trying out chase with drocu so that is on the table too. We will see how that works. Amazon is more common and I don't want to be setting up 5 bank pay accounts with several banks so those are the only two I want to try out at this point.

So if anyone is game for trying out the amazon one with me for payment let me know. I know... late on the ball here, but I anticipated that these would slow us down this time around so I held off. Wouldn't hurt to set these accounts up for the future buys though. I know with chase for me to accept money from drocu I need to confirm my bank account which will take a couple days.

so i just bottled one batch of cider... had to add sugar to get it where i wanted the SG (not to much) i basically filled a pepsi bottle (16 oz) 75% full... and squeezed some of the air out while closing the cap... i figure once the bottle becomes solid (not over pressurized) is when i will pasteurize the 8 bottles of cider i pulled from the gallon...

FUTURE PAYMENT OPTIONS

We were a little late on this one, but I think next time around we can try using some of the other online payment services (amazon - https://payments.amazon.com/sdui/sdui/personal/money). Maybe chase (https://www.chase.com/online/services/quickpay.htm).

I am thinking since amazon is pretty common for most folks, we should try that. To figure out how they transfered the money I am trying out chase with drocu so that is on the table too. We will see how that works. Amazon is more common and I don't want to be setting up 5 bank pay accounts with several banks so those are the only two I want to try out at this point.

So if anyone is game for trying out the amazon one with me for payment let me know. I know... late on the ball here, but I anticipated that these would slow us down this time around so I held off. Wouldn't hurt to set these accounts up for the future buys though. I know with chase for me to accept money from drocu I need to confirm my bank account which will take a couple days.

if i can use my credit card (paypal is not allowing me to send money to myself via credit card) i would be down to try it...

so i just bottled one batch of cider... had to add sugar to get it where i wanted the SG (not to much) i basically filled a pepsi bottle (16 oz) 75% full... and squeezed some of the air out while closing the cap... i figure once the bottle becomes solid (not over pressurized) is when i will pasteurize the 8 bottles of cider i pulled from the gallon...

get the safety glasses on! I know pappers was saying to be careful about the higher heat because as the heat goes higher... gases tend to expand!

if i can use my credit card (paypal is not allowing me to send money to myself via credit card) i would be down to try it...

why don't you try setting your stuff up on amazon.com's link. email would be [email protected] if you want to send me a payment. Not sure if you can use credit card or not - but a good time to try!

why don't you try setting your stuff up on amazon.com's link. email would be [email protected] if you want to send me a payment. Not sure if you can use credit card or not - but a good time to try!

just did varifying everything.. looks like i can use a CC i had to change my email address on amazon... so this might not be able to go until tomorrow since it hasnt updated on the pay part yet.

get the safety glasses on! I know pappers was saying to be careful about the higher heat because as the heat goes higher... gases tend to expand!

well i placed everything in a box and later "tonight" im goign to put it in a container

then more than likely ill be doing the pasteurization tomorrow since in 24 hours the cider dropped 5 pts. ill let you know how it goes

ok i just sent it i hope it works... I just used my CC and it said it did via email.. (hmmm i think this maybe the way to go.. since there is no fee)

I sent mine out earlier today! So what are the chances that the order will be ready to pick up on sat?

Back