Syracuse, ny - round 5 group grain buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just realized that you probably mean the whiskey barrel - buffalo trace - that cost me 90, but he said they are 120 this year. Right now I have a plastic food grade barrel for the primary for the cider - must not have attached it correctly. That one costs about 62 for the open head design. I plan on racking out of that and back into glass after about a month or so.

mmm i have some buffalo trace sitting around here... that stuff is good!

i really want a barrel or 5 haha

Sounds to me like you need to get busy making beer. :drunk:

Ok. Peer pressure worked. Had half a day "free" today, so I brewed 5 gallons of a blond'ish ale:
3.5# Pilsen
3.0# 2row
1.0# flaked maize (corn)
12 oz carapils
8 oz crystal 40
.25 oz centennial @ 55
.25 oz centennial @ 35
.25 oz cascade @ 20
1/4 tsp irish moss @ 10
.25 oz cascade @ 5
used s-04 saved from prior brew.
Post boil SG = 1.043 (beersmith had estimated at 1.042)

Group buys pay! Figuring the yeast @ $2.00 (high, since original was $4.21 and this is using 1/2 on a 2nd round), cost = $12.06. That's $0.23/12 oz bottle. (Not figuring electricity, co2, propane, etc. Or my labor, which is unmeasurable :mug:)

I made this mostly for some football gathering friends - some of whom have really liked some brews like the Victory Hop Devil clone, but others who are Corona/BMC types...

Ok. Peer pressure worked. Had half a day "free" today, so I brewed 5 gallons of a blond'ish ale:
3.5# Pilsen
3.0# 2row
1.0# flaked maize (corn)
12 oz carapils
8 oz crystal 40
.25 oz centennial @ 55
.25 oz centennial @ 35
.25 oz cascade @ 20
1/4 tsp irish moss @ 10
.25 oz cascade @ 5
used s-04 saved from prior brew.
Post boil SG = 1.043 (beersmith had estimated at 1.042)

Group buys pay! Figuring the yeast @ $2.00 (high, since original was $4.21 and this is using 1/2 on a 2nd round), cost = $12.06. That's $0.23/12 oz bottle. (Not figuring electricity, co2, propane, etc. Or my labor, which is unmeasurable :mug:)

I made this mostly for some football gathering friends - some of whom have really liked some brews like the Victory Hop Devil clone, but others who are Corona/BMC types...

i know its awesome, now only to get 55lb sacks of hops to split for those prices :fro: haha

but i love how cheap it is.. propane i get 4-5 brews out of a 20# tank so i pay 5 dollars a brew if not less...

Im brewing thrusday since its going to be warm! (LEFT HAND BREWING COMPANY - MILK STOUT) i cant wait i love this one! then sunday i think im doing Chocolate sweet stout

i know its awesome, now only to get 55lb sacks of hops to split for those prices :fro: haha

but i love how cheap it is.. propane i get 4-5 brews out of a 20# tank so i pay 5 dollars a brew if not less...

Im brewing thrusday since its going to be warm! (LEFT HAND BREWING COMPANY - MILK STOUT) i cant wait i love this one! then sunday i think im doing Chocolate sweet stout

Nice on the brew copyright!

Rust - I am in a stout fever as well. I was considering doing the deception cream stout recipe on HBT - anybody try that?

You did better than me on the propane, I was lucky to get 3 batches at 60 minute boils out of my tank. One of the reasons I switched over to the ebuild. Now I pay just over a dollar for the entire brew process, even if I have to do a 90 minute boil to drive off DMS for pilsner malt brews.

My brew weekend is back on - looks like I will brew one (ubu?) and work on welding up a brew stand with my buddy!

I want to brew some stouts and porters, but I am going to wait for the RSTB to come in.

I would love to do a bulk hop buy but you need pretty good participation to get a good price. RIght now I would consider about 5-6 lbs of hops for a 1lb buy in; however I don't know that we have ever found a really great price for a bulk buy.

i would really love a good hop buy... farmhouse is the best most of the time for me right now... on some of the hops with flatrate shipping

Altho i need to figure out where i can buy 2-3 lbs for real cheap of EKG iv been using a ton of those lately...

im kicking into a stout mood as welll

doing left hand this week
chocolate cream stout maybe this weekend
oatmeal stout
denny's bourbon porter
vanilla stout
coffee stout

Pretty much im covering all of them haha~ getting ready for winter.... looking at doing some porters too but not a huge fan of them.

the deception stout i was also looking at.

i would really love a good hop buy... farmhouse is the best most of the time for me right now... on some of the hops with flatrate shipping

Altho i need to figure out where i can buy 2-3 lbs for real cheap of EKG iv been using a ton of those lately...

im kicking into a stout mood as welll

doing left hand this week
chocolate cream stout maybe this weekend
oatmeal stout
denny's bourbon porter
vanilla stout
coffee stout

Pretty much im covering all of them haha~ getting ready for winter.... looking at doing some porters too but not a huge fan of them.

the deception stout i was also looking at.

This place may be alittle cheaper : http://www.fiftypoundsack.com/products/Kent-Goldings-Pellets.html

Shipping is free. This is where I used to get my malt in the past.

Too funny - just ran into Bierhaus in Sunset! haha

Believe it or not I was there to buy... roasted barley! argh.. cream stout for this weekend since my hops won't come in for UBU until next week.

PLEASE CHECK HBT DAILY UNTIL ACTUALS ARE RECEIVED

FYI - Just spoke with our buyer and he has placed our order. I would expect that we should get actual pricing NLT COB tomorrow.

I will do my best to get the information out so people can write checks as needed.

Thanks!

Too funny - just ran into Bierhaus in Sunset! haha

Believe it or not I was there to buy... roasted barley! argh.. cream stout for this weekend since my hops won't come in for UBU until next week.

lol, i was just about to go there today too.. since i just broke/replacing my nasty old siphon

do you buys know a good way to clean them out? mine had like grime and other nasty poop attached to the wall inside it... (was trying to clean it out then i broke it...)

rustbucket said:
lol, i was just about to go there today too.. since i just broke/replacing my nasty old siphon

do you buys know a good way to clean them out? mine had like grime and other nasty poop attached to the wall inside it... (was trying to clean it out then i broke it...)

An autosiphon? I fill mine with OxyClean solution and let it soak. When I'm done I use it as a pump and force hot tap water through. Then before use I sanitize... I think the key is to clean before crap dries

Also about these hop buys, I was thinking that we could consider doing the 11lbs of hop buys from NCM, but I am not sure what the pricing was for that stuff, I would have to check. The downside would potentially be that... you would need 11 participants for every variety that people want. You would also need 11 people roughly to want 1lb hop bag each. That might be a tough sell, tough to coordinate. Something we could consider for the spring group buy.

*looking at it again though... looks like an eh buy. prices start at ~$7 per lb and go up from there. I mean that is a decent price but for the volum just an eh price for me. I think it will get tough to have people sign up for that much of one hop, unless it is something very common and used a lot.

Cidah, if you find a source for hops I would be in for about 5lbs. I agree that it probably won't work out if we have to get 11lbs of each variety.

Bierhaus - I recevied your check - thanks!

mparsons327 - We have yet to find a good source, but can keep looking. Most places are about $1 and oz, which you usually can easily get from farmhouse brew supply. It looks like that other group buy is in TN, so not sure how that would work out after we either A. picked it up; or B shipped it. I assume we would have to buy a ridiculous amount to make it worth it. Then there are repackaging costs, etc.

I'd love a hop buy as well. I can't imagine breaking up 100lbs or more of pellets and repacking them. That said I'd probably be good for 5+ pounds if the prices were right.

You guys don't want to buy with us, but if you wait a week or so I can provide the prices we ended up getting.

You guys don't want to buy with us, but if you wait a week or so I can provide the prices we ended up getting.

Sure let us know - we appreciate it. Always good to have options on the table!

Not to mention that most people probably taxed their monthly fun money with this most recent grain buy ;) There probably needs to be a little recovery time.

ahhhh just mashed in... haha

trying to figure out how to wash this yeast that is high Fluccuating... so i can use the carboy today..

I am looking forward to Sat - my first brew in several months. i am trying to decide if I should make it a double brew day or not.... I need to clear some space for incoming grain if we ever get this order in :drunk:

I am thinking of doing an IPA...

Yeah I'm on the last of my base grain, I have like one sack left. I'm just about to sparge! Mmm milk stout, the problem is I don't drink enough and brew too much.

I have all my kegs full and all my bottles. Plus my eff is pushing 85 for 12 lbs of grain. So I really use less than I intially thought to use

Yeah I think I am going to make the jump to doing 10 gallon brews. I have a super nice & barely used Sanke Keg that I am going to use as a fermenter since it fits right into my fermentation chamber. Means my less than 1 year old 7 gal conical will get a little less use, really wish i bought the bigger one to start out.

10 gal batches will make lagers easy to keep on tap too.... people seem to drink those like water!

That's why I'm brewing today since its like 60. I want to do lagers so bad but just don't have the room to do them.

The wort on this one taste so good.

This is the fermentation chamber I put together from an old dorm fridge. Its awesome for brewing, and very handy to do the initial fermentation for lagers as well. Bending the cooling element was very tricky but in the end it worked out.

225699_554274642227_21600820_31713688_1493816_n.jpg

224195_554274976557_21600820_31713690_7737092_n.jpg

I have all my kegs full and all my bottles. Plus my eff is pushing 85 for 12 lbs of grain. So I really use less than I intially thought to use

So are you telling us that you use about 3/4 lb less 2row per bacth than us poor suckers in the 75% range? And that is leading your tons of extra grain?!

*elbow jab* haha just messing with you! :D

I usually get 76-78%, but that is on 11G batches. If I don't double crush wheat brews I would get about 73%, but since I due that I still get in my usual range.

Nice chamber jeff - I just got done with mine a while back - check this out

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/super-market-type-refridgerator-fermentation-chamber-262421/

haha!

I framed it out more and put a door with latches on it, and have been trying to decide if I want to make it look pretty and put a couple perlicks on it and serve out of it, or just leave it and use it as my fermentation chamber. It is all wired up for hot and cold, so I figure I will end up doing a little of both!

I think I will just use up some spare tongue and groove I have and dress up the door for taps, leaving the sides ugly and alone. It will be getting a pilsner urquell clone in there soon.

Very nice!

Yeah chambers are nice to have and definitely contributes to the quality of the end product.

The only thing that is too bad is that I couldn't make a chamber big enough for my demijohn out of that one (so I have to use two cornies with blow offs for my lagers, etc.). I do have a side room that I crank the AC on in (portable unit), and it lets me get the whole room cold enough to get fermenters to 62F ish. So that is great for if I crank out 2-4 demijohns. Set the temp for 68f and the fermenters get steady temps.

I might end up making another one out of a dorm fridge that I don't use. But that would mean having to buy another controller! Right now I like being able to use the side room for ales and the chamber for lagers, and sometimes belgians.

The only thing that is too bad is that I couldn't make a chamber big enough for my demijohn out of that one (so I have to use two cornies with blow offs for my lagers, etc.). I do have a side room that I crank the AC on in (portable unit), and it lets me get the whole room cold enough to get fermenters to 62F ish. So that is great for if I crank out 2-4 demijohns. Set the temp for 68f and the fermenters get steady temps.

I might end up making another one out of a dorm fridge that I don't use. But that would mean having to buy another controller! Right now I like being able to use the side room for ales and the chamber for lagers, and sometimes belgians.

Were you the one that bought the demijohns from sunset? I asked that guy w/ the goatee if he had anything to do 10gal batches in and as he walks over to show me the demijohns he goes "holy ****, someone bought these things... I didn't think I would EVER sell them!"

Were you the one that bought the demijohns from sunset? I asked that guy w/ the goatee if he had anything to do 10gal batches in and as he walks over to show me the demijohns he goes "holy ****, someone bought these things... I didn't think I would EVER sell them!"

No - I asked them to get them and they never did (until recently). I told the guy I would buy 4. My buddy and I ended up buying 6 from midwest brew supply though.

Demijohns are awesome for 10-11G batches. Plenty of blow off head space, only one fermenter to clean, etc. I got them for cider, but now I keep 1-2 at least for beer if I can and the cider gets the 6-6.5 fermenters. When cider rolls out into draft kegs, I get 4 demis cooking at once with brew for the pipeline!

Do you remember the price of the demijohns?

One thing that annoys me about sunset is that I have over the years asked them for a bunch of stuff, said I would pay up front if they could get it. They dilly dallied and never would get around to it. Finally they started stocking a lot of the stuff I was asking them about and that dude with the goatee keeps commenting how surprised he is that he is selling it!

Just the other day he was saying how he doubted he would sell kegging stuff, but he was going to let it collect dust on the shelves. If I could get half the crap I needed there (kegging and otherwise) for a fair price I would buy it. haha oh well. He doesn't realize that kegging is in the natural progression of just about every brewer.

Right now I pretty much use them for specialty malts, yeast and occaisonal hops. In their defense they finally have reasonable hop prices on some of the varieties. They are getting better at carrying things, but I think they don't realize the potential of brew hardware in their store. They only focus on the hydroponic stuff IMO

Smashing said:
I'd love a hop buy as well. I can't imagine breaking up 100lbs or more of pellets and repacking them. That said I'd probably be good for 5+ pounds if the prices were right.

I just ran out of Centennial, which I seem to use in a lot of recipes. I have a bunch of other stuff, but would be good for at least a couple/few pounds.

CidahMastah said:
I am looking forward to Sat - my first brew in several months. i am trying to decide if I should make it a double brew day or not.... I need to clear some space for incoming grain if we ever get this order in :drunk:

I am thinking of doing an IPA...

I'm trying to decide between a traditional English style IPA and Sierra Nevada Celebration (which I just picked up a case of to drink and or compare to).

yeah... so i had a good day until i dropped my carboy trying to empty the sanatizer...

SMASH went the carboy on the garage floor.... (there goes 40 bucks) ugh...

So my question.. plastic bucket with lid or carboy... what would you do? need to decided by Monday since i plan on brewing then.

but Copyright iv been getting into the English style pales and ipa's lately for some reason as well (more away form the American style i have brewed so much of)

i was looking at those demi johns there, if i had the money to spend and the room i would pick 1-2 up myself..

I've been looking at those plastic, 15 gallon conical fermenters lately. They're like $400 with all the parts, though it would be nice to have if I ever wanted to go to 10 gallon batches.

yeah... so i had a good day until i dropped my carboy trying to empty the sanatizer...

SMASH went the carboy on the garage floor.... (there goes 40 bucks) ugh...

So my question.. plastic bucket with lid or carboy... what would you do? need to decided by Monday since i plan on brewing then.

but Copyright iv been getting into the English style pales and ipa's lately for some reason as well (more away form the American style i have brewed so much of)

So, why do you need a carboy at all? I've only been brewing for a little while, but am so glad I went the corny keg route. I primary in a good old plastic fermentation bucket, then after a couple of weeks rack to a keg for further conditioning, cold crash, etc. Besides having a kegerator, I also decided to go this route because I was able to get kegs for LESS than what a carboy costs. I can eliminate oxidation by venting the oxygen/filling with co2, and stainless is so easy to clean (unlike a carboy) and ensure it is sanitary (like a carboy). Finally, no worries about dropping it and breaking it (unless I really, really try to).

The one negative to this is I can't see the pretty beer sitting in it.

re: English IPA's. I've been meaning to brew one because a) It is what I got started on 20 years ago (the first time I brewed) and b) I ran out of centennial but have a lot of English hops plus MO grain, and c) I have some s-04 yeast from a prior brew that I want to use.

What's making this decision tough is that I am sitting here drinking a Sierra Nevada Celebration (1st of the season for me) and it is very tasty. (Not sure I like it quite as much as my Victory Hop Devil Clone, but pretty darn good.)

you would be better off going with a 15G bronstein container barrel and drill a hole for a ball valve. Would run you about $60 at most!

I thought about the plastic conicals, but the price just is too much IMO

Back