Syphon tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uwbeer

Reaction score
Hi, I have one of those soft syphon tubes but it's accumulating white spots on its inside (mineral deposits?). How should I clean the inside of the tube?

Thanks
andrew

I usually blast it out with my "Super Duper Blastomatic 5000". Well, at least that's what I call it. I just push the tube onto my faucet-mounted bottle washer and turn on the hot tap water. Seems to work pretty well, however I too change hoses out occassionally for staining.

I've heard if you soak it in a sanitizing solution for about 30 minutes and then run some hot water through it should help get the job done.

But don't take my word for it, I'm just a novice.

t1master said:
tubing costs a quarter a foot at the hardware store, go buy a new one ;)

The tubing you buy at the hardware store is likely not food grade plastic. It may work, but it may not. Just be careful.

For mineral deposits just soak it in white vinegar for about 10 minutes and rinse well. Cost about the same either way but i have several sections of retired hose around now and that always comes in handy.

Back