switching to all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlitos

Reaction score
Finally switching to all grain I have 4 use keg that I got form craigslist I have cut one and starting to add the fittings, so far stainless seams to be a bit of a pain to solder/braze. I'll post some pics soon

Silver Soldering it really is a piece of cake, IF you use the right solder and flux. I messed around with mine for a while using silver solder and paste flux. What a waste of time.
You really really need the right flux.
Harris Stay Clean liquid flux is the trick. There are a vendor or 2 here that sell solder kits.

Thanks for the info but I just went to my local welding supply store and got some ss flux its the paste stuff, it works great for me but my first braze holds but I dosing look good and I used 15% silver it's that my torch dosing get hot enough to braze probably need map gas instead if propane. I mite just use silver bearing solder like what plummers use don't need as much heat to get it to flow and do it's job.
Here's some pics
This is a paddle I made

Here's one of the fittings and they will be at the bottom of the brew pot (before it was soldered)

That was me trying to solder the fitting with plumbers flux like what they use for copper that didn't work I'm still a rookie at this but did some more research dot the right stuff now but need a better torch or map gas. Ill probably get the map gas and see how it goes.

Back